Suhr - any recent custom order experiences?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by JeKo, Apr 24, 2016.

1. JeKo

JeKo Member

How has it been for you recently?

I'm ordering, or at least trying to order, a custom Modern. Things are moving really slowly and I've been waiting for a couple of weeks to hear back from their production about a few special requests. Nevertheless, their customer service department has been stellar as always. Don really is the man and always fair to their customers! I just wish it was easier for potential customers to reach out to their production people.

Anyway, I'm trying to stay positive. I'm sure the guitar will be absolutely great :)

2. freedom's door

freedom's door Supporting Member

Are you doing this through a dealer or direct?

3. JeKo

JeKo Member

Yep, dealer.

4. M40A1

M40A1 Member

I placed an order for a custom classic back in February, dealer is Humbucker. Great service and fast turnaround on my quote and a question or two that I had about the actual color of "vintage white." If your not getting answers to your questions I'd contact Suhr and let them know.

5. JeKo

JeKo Member

I'm glad you had a smooth experience. A vintage white Classic sounds killer! I'll probably wait a few more days and then contact their customer service personally if nothing happens.

6. Johnny21

Johnny21 Supporting Member

I ordered a custom Suhr and the build took ~7.5 months. Put the order in December, got it mid July.

7. JeKo

JeKo Member

Still waiting to get my order finalized. I can't believe a few special requests regarding the neck angle and a specific action can take over a month to get confirmed, especially since I sent an email to John before ordering and he said that they can easily do all those things. Seems like their customer service has gone down the drain recently. They're really bad at giving news about the progress of things even when asked directly.

I love their guitars but this is going to be the last time I'm ordering a custom guitar from them. Maybe they're focusing on the Pro Series a bit too much these days… However, if the Pro Series is selling well and that's the direction they want to go, good for them.

Vikk likes this.
  8. ethomas1013

ethomas1013 Supporting Member

If they would offer a few neck size options on the Classic Antique I'd buy one. As it is, I would be forced to go custom order and the only thing I really want to change is the neck size. Not every one likes the Even C Medium neck shape, and I really don't want to go with a custom order.

9. Devnor

Devnor Member

Can you be more specific about this request? Suhr guitars are Fender derivatives so usually there is no neck angle.

I'm know a lot of people will disagree, including John, but I think guitar to guitar the custom versions are on a completely different level than the Pro series.

10. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

But again, have you compared a Pro Series guitar with a custom order that has the same specs? If not, then you're not doing a like-to-like comparison. You just like the specs on whatever custom guitars you've played more than the specs on the Pro Series ones. I have a custom Modern that is no different from my Pro Series Suhrs quality-wise as far as I can tell. They all play great, hold tune well, etc... I can't compare them tonally since none of my Pro Series are Moderns...
    -
    Austin

Last edited: May 21, 2016
  11. ethomas1013

I have owned two Pro Series instruments and one Custom order. There was definitely not any difference in quality with the ones I owned.

12. Vikk

Vikk Member

was it a something exotic? I've been told ~ 4-6 months..

13. Johnny21

Johnny21 Supporting Member

Not all that exotic.

Custom modern with a carve top. Hog body/maple top, Pau Ferro neck/board.

14. btsimoes

btsimoes Member

This is not my experience! My Custom Suhr (Mahogany Deluxe) is so much better than my 2 pro series (S3 and S4)... The Pro Series are not bad guitars at all. I really think they are a great bang for your buck, but they are not on the same level of my Mahogany Deluxe.

15. ethomas1013

Who knows, every guitar is unique when it comes to tone. I didn't like the tones from the Pro series or the custom Standard I ordered. But I loved the tones from the Classic I owned. Quality wise (fit, finish, setup) the two Pros that I owned were definitely on the same level as the others.

I'm not doubting you at all. Are you comparing tones (which is unique for each guitar), build quality, or both?

Sometimes all the components just come together to create an exceptional instrument. Perhaps your Mahogany Deluxe is just one of those!

16. atquinn

So you like the specs more. That doesn't speak at all to quality. People need to think before they tossing statements like this around.
    -
    Austin

17. Swirl

Swirl Member

I can't notice any quality difference between the pro series and the customs. They're equally awesome. As others have said the differeces are in the specs only.

18. JeKo

JeKo Member

Sure! I want to have a low profile feel at where my picking hand is. So, having a little bit of a neck angle should put the strings a little closer to the body.

I'm pretty much ready to give up since they don't seem interested in responding to my or my dealer's emails. Any alternatives? Tom Anderson Angel maybe?

19. atquinn

A neck angle would increase the string distance from the body, not decrease it. If you want the strings closer to the body, it seems like you would want to have the same neck angle, but have the of the neck pocket sanded down a bit so the neck sits lower.
    -
    Austin

20. btsimoes

btsimoes Member

Yeah, I think you are right! The finish and build quality are great on every Suhr, but sometimes one instrument is exceptional.