Suhr Backplate Question

minjason

I currently have lollar blondes in my strat, which sound phenomenal! The only problem with these pickups is the typical single coil hum which can get pretty distracting when I turn on my OD pedals. The pups are RWRP for hum cancelling in pos. 2 and 4.

If I wanted to install the Suhr BPSSC, how would I go about doing this?

guitarvc

I believe you cant use the BPSSC wth reverse wound pickups.
You are right. You would have to have a tech reverse something in the middle pu...I forgot what it is called. It should take the tech about 15 minutes to do on top of whatever labor is involved to install the back plate. You should definitely go for it if you use overdrive as it does what is advertised very well. No hum without killing the tone!

xroads

Is this mod available for teles.?
The backplate replaces the tremolo cover. Tele's ususally don't have one, therefore you cannot use it with a standard Tele. I had thought about just routing a small cavity on the back of the tele and mount the backplate there...has anyone tried this?

Suhr offers the built-in system with a Tele, however, AFAIK, the body
is sandwiched, and the wires for the SSC are in between, which is a major modification.

Giraffecaster

if i'm not mistaken the suhr backplate basically works as a large coil that is reverse wound from the arrangement of pickups. i remember looking at their patent a while back.

if you don't mind having a false backplate on your tele I don't see why you couldn't use one. you'd have to drill a hole for the wire to get to the control cavity though but that could be hidden by the backplate

xroads

if you don't mind having a false backplate on your tele I don't see why you couldn't use one
Because it's thicker than your standard back plate. Although I wonder myself if anybody ever has tried this.

Dana Olsen

Platinum Supporting Member
if i'm not mistaken the suhr backplate basically works as a large coil that is reverse wound from the arrangement of pickups. i remember looking at their patent a while back.

if you don't mind having a false backplate on your tele I don't see why you couldn't use one. you'd have to drill a hole for the wire to get to the control cavity though but that could be hidden by the backplate
That's not strictly true, in the sense that it's not a 'dummy coil'. It's more like an RF interference coil, I think.

Best thing to do is write or call Suhr, or go to the Suhr Forum.

Start here: http://www.suhrguitars.com

Dana O.

jzucker

Silver Supporting Member
I believe you cant use the BPSSC wth reverse wound pickups.
You can with a caveat. With one of the super-switches and a RWRP middle, you can have the 5 way switch wired so that positions 1,2,4,5 are hum-cancelling.

KeithC

Silver Supporting Member
You just need to replace the middle pickup with one that's wound the same as the other two.

Right. You can reverse the way you hook up the wires from the pup to your switch and ground to get the right phase/wind direction but I think you'll be hard pressed to reverse the polarity of the pup.
You can get a Lollar neck to put in the middle and be good to go.

diego

My understanding is that you can't have a RW pup in the middle and use the system... but it sounds like some of you may have found a way to work around this.

I thought about putting a backplate on a tele but was told that it is optimized for strat pups. I got the feeling that this is something they haven't tried in Suhrland.

Mike9

Silver Supporting Member
I wrote Sheptone about reversing magnet polarity and rewiring for the BPSSC, but he told me it's not a good fix. In fact he recommended against it and sent me a new pickup and I sent him my RWRP one back. He's a good man and winds a great sounding pickup.

Trending Topics