Suhr Backplate Silent Coil thread

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by GaryMcT, Jun 23, 2006.

1. GaryMcT

GaryMcT Gold Supporting Member

2. GaryMcT

Not exactly about the Backplate Silent Coil, but I managed to install 2 v60lp's and an SSV into my Anderson Drop Top today. So far they sound great! The v60lp is pretty close to my ideal single, and the SSV splits really really well, sound great in parallel mode, and does the EVH thang really well in serial mode.

I'll definitely order the backplate in a few weeks. I put in two neck v60lp's so that it'll work with the backplate.

3. david henman

david henman Member

...the silent backplate system is being installed in my g&l legacy as we speak. i should have it back sometime next week.

-dh

(i also have plans to purchase suhr single coils to replace the three gold lace sensors in my '86 tele deluxe plus in a month or so)

4. suhr_rodney

suhr_rodney Supporting Member

I put a BPSSC on one of my Suhrs a few weeks ago. It is fabulous. Regarding the pickups, I had that combination in one Suhr and found it to be just OK. It sounded OK, but I wasn't blown away; dropped Fralins in and voila. Unbelievable. Interestingly, I have that same combination of Suhrs in one of my Tylers and it sounds FANTASTIC.

5. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

I'm very, very interested in opinions on the Suhr Backplate Silent Coil. I'm thinking of calling Jason Lollar and having him send me a non-RWRP middle pickup just so that the Suhr system will work in my Strat...

Lemme know your opinions - good or bad

Thanks,

jb

6. GaryMcT

I had a similar thing happen with my Andersons. The H2 in the bridge on my Atom sounds perfect for that guitar, but on the Drop Top, a SSV sounds much better. The H2 was too muddy on the Drop Top.

For those that have installed BPSSC in single-single-humbucker guitars (with the humbucker in the bridge), how successful have you been with using the first BPSSC line for both singles, and the second for the split humbucker?

7. PFCG

PFCG Member

Is thier a difference in the factory installed ssc system in the suhrs vs. buying the backplate separately? and if so what is the difference?

8. PanamaCZ

PanamaCZ Member

The backplate on the facory SSC Suhrs isn't where the magic happens. I have a Classic S and the backplate is just plastic - no wires.

Mike

9. mybusinessmy

mybusinessmy Member

BTW-I don't know if you realize this, Gary, but I would experiment with the pickup height on the V60LP's. Lowering them will bring more high end and "sparkle" to the pickup.

I will post my findings of the BPSSC as soon as I have it installed! Everyone that has had it installed has been very happy and impressed with their results. :)

10. GaryMcT

Ed Yoon (hi Ed!) gave me the specs on the pickup heights on their guitars from the factory. I set mine to those and it sounds pretty much perfect. :) I'm very very happy with what these have done for my guitar. . . I knew there was an excellent strat tone in there waiting to get out. :)

The instructions are:

With the low-E string held down at the last fret, the distance between the bottom of the low-E and the top of the polepieces on the single-coils should be 8/64' (1/8"). On the treble side, it should be 6/64" (3/32"). The humbucker can be closer than these tolerances since it exerts much less magnetic pull than the single-coils. Set the humbucker as you see fit depending on how much output you need, but a good starting point would be about 6/64" (3/32") on the bass side and 4/64" (1/16") on the treble side. Some players set it much closer than that and some will set it further away.

11. John Bell

John Bell Supporting Member

I was about to have it installed in my Suhr,but now not so sure.From what I understand the body SSC eliminates about 90% of the hum.Now you just stated that the backplate system is <75-50%> of that.To be totally honest...that's not very effective IMO.....especially for having to put out over 300 bucks not including installation.

12. suhr_rodney

suhr_rodney Supporting Member

John, I really believe Ed made a typo. I can tell you from first hand experience that the BPSSC works remarkably well. Virtually all of the hum is gone, leaving only a small amount of high frequency hiss. Simply put, it is an amazing retrofit. The only problem I have with mine is ... now I want 6 more. It is also worth noting that the BPSSC can be had for about $250, whereas the factory installed SSC adds $700 (list) to a guitar. Even on a new guitar I would have to really consider spending the additional money for the factory installed system, but for an existing guitar it is a no-brainer IMHO.

13. GaryMcT

Not exactly BPSSC, but I'm sure a lot of folks that are interested in the BPSSC are interested in Suhr pickups.

Here's a noodling clip of my alder Anderson Drop Top with 2 V60LP's and a Nickel SSV in the bridge:

[SIZE=-1]http://home.comcast.net/~g.mctaggart/suhrpickups.mp3[/SIZE]

This is a Randall RM50B with the TopBoost module mic'd with an SM57. At the end, I add the OCD pedal on top of the TopBoost for the higher gain/bridge humbucker stuff.

This is the first guitar/pickups that I've had where wacking the crap out of the strings makes that much of a difference. I'm extremely happy. :)

14. mybusinessmy

mybusinessmy Member

Then it must be excellent. The few noiseless pickups I have tried have that hiss as well, which is barely noticeable-which of course compromise the sound! It seems like it isn't just cutting down on the volume of the hum, but it is really thinning the noise as well.

15. mybusinessmy

mybusinessmy Member

Very cool clips, Gary! Those effects, and your attack, really bring out the "glass" in them.

16. GaryMcT

I'll post some hi-gain clips once I get one and installed it.

For those of you that have installed it already, how's the hum compared to the humbucker in your guitar (if you have one in there?)

17. mattmccloskey

mattmccloskey Supporting Member

John,
    if you have a suhr they will install it at the factory into the guitar, not with the BPSSC. In other words, you don't need to get the back plate thing at all, just send it in and get the full on system installed. It cost a little more, but the price includes the system, install, and they always re-string, set-up, clean up etc. the guitar too. With the body installed system I have less noise than my humbucker equipped guitars. I think anyone who has a suhr should bypass the back plate and just go for the retrofit. It is 100% worth it for me.

18. Sir Ricardo

Sir Ricardo Member

great thread....except only one person has posted their actual results with a non-Suhr-retrofitted system, that would be the esteemed Suhr Rodney.

He is very complimentary about it......

has anyone else installed the BPSSC, and can share their thoughts? I'm thinking about it, and would like to really understand its sonic impact.

Is it JUST the elimination of some hum, or does it "take away" ANY of those precious sparkly (word?) single-coil sounds?

Because if does not in any way diminish the tone, just take away hum, then man I'm there!

Please advise - -

Richard

19. david henman

david henman Member

...although it is still early in the game, the general consensus seems to be 100% positive. i am about to find out for myself, as i'm having it installed in my g&l legacy, in which the stock pickups have exquisite sparkle. if that is retained, i will be one happy picker, and a big advocate of the system.

-dh

20. GaryMcT

Yes, it can. In fact you'll be able to better tweak the humcancelling since you don't have to share one of the two pots with the middle pickup.