Suhr Badger 18 "Discovery"

Dave_C

I never really tried using this amp as a classic pedal platform master volume amp without power scaling engaged. Messed around with it in that mode this weekend and it just ROCKED! It actually sounds better with pedals than dialing in some power scaling. OD pedals retain more clarity, clean tones are briliantly clean, but it still feels like the preamp and power amp are working hard and adding some compression...even at pretty darn low volumes.

Even my Maz 18 and Accomplice don't do that! When the Maz/Accomplice are dialed in the same way, pedals feel a little stiff and in need of more gain. The Maz/Accomplice need a little hair dialed in on hard-strummed clean settings to give OD pedals that feeling of melting right into the amp. I always felt that that was the main drawback to using single-channel amps as pedal platforms - i.e., you couldn't also get really clean, chimey clean tones. But, I was totally surprised this weekend to discover that the Badger overcomes that limitation when operating in full power mode. Cool!

beej

The Badger amps are really great for that. Just a very well designed, great sounding amp that works at a variety of volume levels.

JoeB63

Silver Supporting Member
Really, the only things that keep my Badger from being the only amp I need are:

1) I sometimes need a bit more headroom; and,

2) It's a head, and I greatly prefer the convenience of (lightweight) combos; and,

3) I like having multiple toys (amps) to play with.

Otherwise, it can sound like a Marshall, or like a Vox (with my compressor), or much like a matchless, or with the right pedal and speakers, close enough to a Dumble. And you can bring the volume down as low as needed for any situation.

Dave_C

Beej, JoeB63,

Yeah, what a great all-around amp...that just happens to have power scaling too. What's cool about running at full power and using the amp as a pedal platform is that FX in the loop (like 'verb) retain their clarity. JoeB, as for the Dumble comment, I have my beloved Fuchs HRM sitting right next to the Badger and, with the Jetter GSR into the Badger (dialed in the way I mentioned above), it can definitely get into the D-style camp in a very musical and convincing way. I'm amazed at how it "feels good" like the Fuchs too.

I also started messing around with a wet/dry setup this past weekend and may try it at the next gig. What a HUGE sound that is...with any amp!

Dave

JoeB63

Silver Supporting Member
yes, it's got a good feel -- that's the most important thing in any amp (to me).

Trending Topics