1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Suhr Badger 18

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Gasp100, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

Does this do more than just Marshall style stuff? The build quality looks exceptional and the clips / vids from the pro's on the website are truely off the hook. How well does the FX loop sound? Anyone using line level FX through the loop? Please let me know, I'm very interested.
    In particular, people mention it's not exactly like a "normal" EL84 tone or a Marshall tone -- how so? Is the power scaling solid even at very low levels?
    Thanks! I'm researching as I go <three different TGP windows open hahaha!

2. Franktone

Franktone Member

3. Franktone

Franktone Member

4. Franktone

Franktone Member

Both the Badger 18 and the Badger 30 were tried out at the music store, and both are fabulous amps. The Badger 18 may have difficulty getting a clean sound in regards to keeping up with a loud drummer and bass player. Its overdriven sounds should keep up quite well. The cleans have a nice chime, but like I said, it doesn't have a pile of headroom. In the recording studio or a quieter band, this amp will really shine. The power scaling works really well as can be seen in the Pete Thorn video. If you need more clean power, then I would check out the Badger 30. Pete Thorn also has an excellent video of this amp. They are both awesome sounding amps. I urge you to try them both out.

5. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

I grabbed the Badger 18 with matching cab in the emporium. The clips are off the charts (I remember when the Pete Thorn 18 demo first came out). I'm sure it will sound awesome.

6. Franktone

Franktone Member

Good move. I'd like to get one sometime too.

7. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

Congrats! :)

8. cffluntouch

cffluntouch Gold Supporting Member

I have had one since they first came out. I love it. The power scaling makes it perfect for band rehearsals and quieter playing. Great tone!

9. Loud Librarian

Loud Librarian Member

I gig with mine all the time as part of a two amp setup...it's the dirty amp needless to say. The powerscaling is indispensable to get the grind and saturation I need at reasonable volumes. I usually run power and drive at about 4-5, preamp at 7 1/2 for most venues (smallish bars) and it gives the perfect stage volume into my port city 2x12 OS.

I wonder how many watts it's putting out at this level...not much I'm guessing.