suhr badger power scaling question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by blazzrock, Jul 23, 2008.

1. blazzrock

blazzrock Supporting Member

it looks like the badger has power scaling, gain, and a master. is that right? i am curious, because i had a mojave coyote that at the 1/2 watt setting was still pretty loud when the volume was high enough to get the distortion where i wanted it. does the badger work that way too, or can you drop the volume seemlessly to zero while keeping the distortion intact?

2. teletalkin

teletalkin Supporting Member

Yes you can drop the volume low and still have distortion. Worst thing I did was sell mine. Great amp!

3. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

When you turn the power scaling dial down to 0, it's like having your amp on standby...no sound...the second control...drive is very effective as well...I owned a Mohave Sidewinder for a while, and the Badger is a much more versatile amp, and the tones can be very varied, whereas the Sidewinder just had this one middy marshally tone

4. shoe

shoe Member

The "rule of thumb" from Suhr about the Power Scaling and Drive controls is that there should be a difference of about "2" between the two settings wise. In other words if Power Scaling is on 4, put Drive on 6, and so forth. Once you get away from that setting ratio the amp will sound less open and more compressed. Not a bad thing, just a different thing.

5. Dave_C

Dave_C Supporting Member

If you use pedals, I found that keeping the Drive knob 2-3 notches BELOW Power is best. That'll give you sweet cleans and still allow some preamp and power amp breakup when an OD pedal is engaged. BUT, the Gain setting plays into this too. Depending on preamp tubes used and the relative Drive/Power settings, a Gain setting somewhere between '2' and '3' seems to work best for pedals, depending on how hot you're running the pedal output. It's a huge balancing act and, many months after getting this amp, I am still making major discoveries. But, there are a huge number of useful and great-sounding tones in this amp.

6. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

That's not quite right.

My Badger has Power Scaling (two knobs on the left called Power and Drive when facing front of amp), then Bass, Mid, Treble, then Gain - there is NO separate Master Vol and Gain control, there is only Gain and Power Scaling, and tone shaping knobs.

The great thing about the Badger is that you can dial in not only the same tone at different volume levels, but also the same FEEL at lower volume levels! It's as close to seamless as I've tried. You DO have to make minor adjustments in the gain and tone shaping to get the same tone at very low volume levels - it's not like the Badger sounds EXACTLY the same with the Power and Drive all the way up, and then you can just roll them each back to "1" and everything stays in EXACTLY the same relationship (and remember the Fletcher/ Munson curve), but it's pretty close to that, IMHO.

Volume and watts DO NOT have a linear relationship. A cranked 5W amp sounds loud. ALL power scaling amps work better when the power is up a bit, same as all Master Vol amps. The Badger is much more seamless than other designs I've played through at very low volume level.

What I mean is that the Badger isn't like a power amp/ receiver for your home stereo, so that it sounds the same at "8" as it does at "2", but for a guitar amp, it's much closer to that than any amp I've ever tried.

As always, there's no such thing as a free lunch - if you want GREAT tone, you're gonna have to move some air (GRIN), but the Badger amp works very well at low volume levels IMHO. I set mine up to have medium gain, then I use a pedal for more gain, and roll the guitar's vol down to clean up. Works great!

Hope this helps, Dana O.

7. xrist04

xrist04 Member

Consider the Gain control to be the "amount of gain going into the Preamp" knob. The Drive control is the "amount of gain going into the Power amp" knob. And the Power Scaling knob is the overall "how loud is this amp" knob.