Suhr Badger vs. Budda SD 18

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by troublehead, Feb 19, 2008.

1. troublehead

troublehead Member

I've been waiting on the Budda for a month now. I just got word that it will be shipped in 4 weeks. However, the guy is offering me the Badger in case I do not want to wait. (both are head versions that I will use with a closed back 2x12)

My question is: How do the 2 compare for everything from Texas blues up to classic hard rock (UFO, Thin Lizzy, etc). I will be using a HSS Fat Strat and have no problem with using an OD pedal to get me the heavier stuff. However, I'm curious how the gain stacks up between the 2 amps ?

I rarely play out and the amp will be used mainly for home recording. Any comparisons will be greatly appreciated.

2. Griz

Griz Member

Big respect to the Budda. Those are great amps.

Don't own one though. I have a Badger 18. It is an extremely flexible amp, but there is a bit of a learning curve if it's your first time using Power Scaling. The PS renders all of the other controls more or less interactive; so every PS adjustment alters the result of all other settings (tone, etc.).

But that's the fun of having a Power Scaled amp. The shades of tone seem endless.

The Budda is likely much simpler to dial in, though a bit less flexible.

Both are great amps.

Happy deciding. :dude

3. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

+1 on the the thoughts on the Badger.

I remember really liking the tones available on the Badger but I ended up selling because I wanted a little more headroom and I wish it was a little tighter in higher gain settings. I also didn't find the FX loop all that useful at high gain settings begin the Fx are placed before the breaking power section. The light and medium gain tones were my favorite. I would love to try the 30-watt Badger though...

Budda's are great and there is going to be more flexibility with the 2 channels, FX loop, and Master volume. Can pretty much nail the tones from my NMV TwinMaster and more Modern stuff too. All round a decent buy. I probably would go with the SD30 for more headroom for clean stuff.

I'll add from what I remember, I prefer the Badger OD a little more as far as medium gains are concerned. But you certainly can't go wrong with either.

4. sinasl1

sinasl1 Supporting Member

Sounds like you'd dig the Badger 30 for sure. More headroom, which makes the loop more useable, and it's tighter, too.

5. sinasl1

sinasl1 Supporting Member

Hmmm I actually don't agree with the comment about power scaling rendering the other controls more or less interactive... I find that things stay pretty consistent no matter where I have the drive and power. I think that was one of the big selling point in my Badger vid- things just got quieter when you bring the scaling controls down, but the tone stayed pretty much the same.

6. PlexiFuzz

PlexiFuzz I know karate. Voodoo, too. Silver Supporting Member

What is this about? Those amps seem to be readily available---even Musicians Friend has them back in stock in 5 days or so (and Music 123 has a blem in stock now). Pedalgeek has it, too.

Anyway, I don't think you can go wrong with either, and having played both, I can say I'd be happy with either. But, being a home player and having just gotten my first amp with power scaling (Fargen Mini Plex Mk2) I can honestly say that I can't ever see myself buying another amp unless it had that technology. So, for that reason, I give the nod to the Badger.

BAN

7. kingsxman

kingsxman Silver Supporting Member

waiting on the Budda? Where did you order it from?
    Out of curiousity....call this place and check on one. I've ordered 2 Buddas from them and both were delivered within 2 weeks. (usually within the week). They also have best prices:
    http://www.boyntonproaudio.com/

Ask for Jeff. If you didnt order from there you paid too much. Guaranteed. I saved $500 over what my local dealer could do on an SD30. I wanted to buy local...but they wouldnt come close.

8. dankayaker

dankayaker Member

I've had both. I currently have a Budda head and matching cab.
    Tonally I'd say the the Badger sounds a little more open, less mid heavy although the SD has the pull switch to change the mids alot.

Both have great FX loops.

The SD has way more gain available and the gain channel produces very large thick sounding notes . . .bigger sounding all the way way around IMO.

The Badger sounds more American and the SD sounds more British.

They both break up with richness.

Badger has the power scaling, the SD has a good Master.

SD is two channel, Badger is one.

Both really cool amps, I liked the SD better.

The SD seems louder to me.

9. beej

beej Supporting Member

I've also had both. Sold the Budda and kept the Badger.

The Budda definitely has more gain on tap and 2 channels. Though I found the clean channel to be very sterile (for me) and I couldn't get a good edge-of-breakup sound from it. The Badger excels at that and has more chime. I use the loop with the Badger and have no problems with it, just keep the mix from the effects low.

They're both excellent amps. But if your goal is home recording you might be better off with the Badger- it's more flexible at lower volumes. For gigging, well it really depends on your style.

10. wrxplayer

wrxplayer Supporting Member

FYI - The Budda 18 blem at www.music123.com is $1098 delivered using the blem10 coupon code. Tempting...

11. ChazMania

ChazMania Silver Supporting Member

I owned a Budda SD18 and have played through but not owned a Badger.

The Budda was great for home stuff. Very good overdriven sounds at low volume, rather brown sounding but squishy and compressed. The clean sounds were somewhat sterile for me. In a band context, it was hard to get the 2 channels to balance in volume and like both channels tone. It seemed one had to sacrifice for the other.

Badger (played in a store and a friends house for awhile, not in band context) had a more focused midrange. It seemed to clean up well with guitar volume rolled back (since it's one channel) and it seemed to have something which would cut through a mix better, especially if you play with a keyboardist.

12. radcliff

radcliff Member

slightly off topic, but I'm seeing some Badger 30 talk so....

has a price or release date been released for the Badger 30 yet? I've been stoked on the Badger 18 since it was a prototype, and I finally got to really play one this week - it was just great.

13. konstantine

konstantine Member

Suhr said that production for the Badger 30 will start at april and the price must be about 2000$

Cant wait to listen how it sounds and decide if i'll get the 18 or 30..

konstantine