1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Suhr Badger vs. Budda SD

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by karaku430, May 19, 2011.

1. karaku430

karaku430 Supporting Member

Anyone have thoughts or experience on how these two compare? I've played through a Badger 18 and 30 and loved them both, but I've always been curious how similar the Budda 18 or 30 would sound.

2. Brian Maestro

Brian Maestro Member

:munch

I have a Budda SD30 112 that i love. Interested in how these compare also

3. reddog112

reddog112 Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

I have owned three Buddas (18/30/45) and the Badger 30....here are my thoughts

Buddas are a little more versatile, two channels as opposed to one. The gain is a little more "modern" sounding, if that makes any sense. They have a decent enough clean that breaks up into a cool crunch with the right settings. Great loops and really LIGHT and LOUD. Eats EL84's like they are Pez candy, but loves Sovtek and JJs, which are cheap. Very functional master volume. The biggest problem with the SD's is that when you run the clean channel hot it is louder than the gain. There are mods to correct this. With the used prices on the pre-Peavey SD's, they are a no brainer. If I could afford it, I would own at least one Budda.

The Badger is an awesome amp as well, very Marshally. The Power Scaling works great and the Suhr quality is second to none. More vintage sounding and works great for guys that like Boost pedals and Mid-gain OD's. If you like to work the volume knob on the guitar, then the Badger will get you there. I liked the smaller head and knob layout. Great tones and layout. DON'T WATCH THE PETE THORN DEMOS! You will be hooked if you do. I sold it in favor of an Aiken Invader, but enjoyed it while I owned it.

You really cant go wrong with either, but it depends on what you are after. The Budda with a Boost and Reverb in the loop is pretty fun and gives you alot of versatility. The Badger is a more-straight forward tone machine. I think the "old-school" straight to amp guy would really bond with the Badger.