Suhr Bella

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by MHG, Jan 22, 2015.

1. kingdavidy2k

kingdavidy2k Member

@Husky is there any plan on 22w 6V6 Bella switchable to 12w?

Simon likes this.
  2. Ash Telecaster

Ash Telecaster Member

Seems like every time I go to get a Bella something pops up. First I drove 2 1/2 hour to get one but it sold by the the time I got there. Then this crazy deal came up for an amp that I wasn't really looking for but it was eclectic and a great price so that set me back. Then this came up...

[​IMG]

I'll get that Bella one day!

3. dbeeman

dbeeman Gold Supporting Member

well, at least it was another Suhr that got in the way this time

Ash Telecaster likes this.
  4. Ash Telecaster

Ash Telecaster Member

5. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Silver Supporting Member

It won't sound right until you get that Bella!:p

6. Simon

Simon Supporting Member

That would really interest me, I don't get to play very loud in my band and I'm afraid 22watts without much break up probably wouldn't work for me.
    Also clubs want less volume all the time.

7. rollyfoster

I think Suhr has a policy of not talking about anything until it's ready to be released.

A half power 6v6 amp would be an entirely different animal than the Bella so if they did release something I wouldn't expect it to be very similar.

8. thiscalltoarms

thiscalltoarms more gadgets than Batman. Gold Supporting Member

The Bella isn't about break up, it's about cleans. On 22w I had no problem getting gorgeous clean tones at reasonable volumes for any club I'd play. I guess what I am saying is, if you are coming to the Bella with the words "break up" anywhere in sight, you are looking at the wrong amp. The Bella requires pedals to generate the gain. It is one of the best clean tones that I've ever heard.

What are you looking for from an amp? If you wanted a lower wattage 6v6 amp with lots of breakup- maybe a Swart? The Bella's boost mode adds a little harmonic swirl more than gain or break up...

Simon likes this.
  9. Husky

Husky Gold Supporting Member

on 22W the Bella is variac'd down to get there. This adds some natural compression and I really cant see how anything lower would work live if you care about a clean sound. Also the difference is only 3dB. If you really want to get lower I'd look at a Badger. But with the right pedals you can really dial the Bella in to whatever you want. The Eclipse essentially gives you a 3 channel amp and does it very naturally at low volumes. It was dialed in using the Bella.

10. rollyfoster

I agree. Carr or Swart would be a great place to look. I recently got a Carr Sportsman and highly recommend it over a Swart, which I also have, if you're looking for something that can get in the neighborhood of the Bella cleans but also get some great low volume grind.

The Swarts are excellent amps but their cleans are still a little hairy. The overdrive is where they really shine. Plus they're tube rectified if that matters to you.

The Sportsman can sound a lot like a baby Bella with the right settings but if you crank the mids and preamp you can get some seriously awesome gain tones as well and control volume with the Headroom knob.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
  11. Simon

Simon Supporting Member

I just like to have a touch of break up on my cleans, I really would like to try one. Thanks for your input.

thiscalltoarms likes this.
  12. thiscalltoarms

thiscalltoarms more gadgets than Batman. Gold Supporting Member

I get it! It's definitely a livelier amp than a Twin at most volumes, but it's a "very clean" "clean channel" if that makes sense? I didn't find it a ton more compelling by turning it up- it compresses a bit more but it stays much cleaner than my other single channel amps for sure...

I've never been able to get on with a Carr for whatever reason, but I haven't played a Sportsman. I do agree that a Swart is sorta the anti Bella insofar they are ALL about the breakup while the Bella is all about the cleans.

13. Ash Telecaster

Ash Telecaster Member

I'm thinking early next month. Sooner if I can manage it!

rollyfoster likes this.
  14. rollyfoster

I've only played a Skylark and the Sportsman myself. The Skylark got replaced by the Swart. It was a cool amp and, like the Swart, it's all about the breakup but sounds much smaller so I didn't really bond with it after the honeymoon.

Anyways, sorry for derailing the thread! I do recommend checking out the sportsman if you get a chance. I think it's a great alternate for when I don't take the head/cab Bella out.

Simon likes this.
  15. Simon

Simon Supporting Member

Did you have the Swart AST?

16. rollyfoster

I have the AST master

17. Woodyworld

Woodyworld Member

Not sure f this has been covered - have searched but can't find information. Does anyone know what the bias /readings would be for Bella running at UK 230/240 volts ? I've used the Bella on a number of gigs and it's sounded glorious, but on the last few it's sounded odd. Done the usual swap outs on preamp tubes (as per recommended here :JJ etc) but want to check the bias.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
  18. Ash Telecaster

Ash Telecaster Member

Can I ask an off topic question?

With regards to my new Suhr Modern Pro, is there a recommended string gauge, like on a Taylor? And what gauge is it that comes stock on the guitar. I typically use 10's and they seem like 10's but they feel a little stiffer, not in a bad way, than my other guitars. Lastly what brand of string is it?

Thanks

19. Husky

We usually do 10's and they would Be EB slinky unless the ball ends are colored then it would be d'Adarrio

20. Husky

Primary voltage doesn't change the bias.
    The readings are written inside but .032vdc (32ma) across the 1ohm resistors on the power tube sockets when in high power (44) is about right.

Woodyworld likes this.