Suhr BPSSC silent system CLIPS

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by justicetones, Jan 25, 2006.

1. justicetones

justicetones Member

OK Guys, I just got one of the Suhr Backplate Silent Systems for my Fender strat. My strat has 3 single coil Torres vintage wind pickups with a blender pot and a standard 5 way switch.
    Suhr states that you should replace the RWRP middle pickup with one that is not. I didn't because I don't have one yet and I was also kind of curious to how it would compromise the system . I did have to slightly compromise on the adjustment but it is really good. The noisiest position is middle, but it is still quieter than the bridge or neck alone used to be. And the single positions 1,3,5, and neck and bridge blended are almost dead quiet.

I'm Very Impressed.

All clips were done with the bridge pickup only.

You can find the clips here

http://www.chrisjusticemusic.com/suhrbackplate.html

:RoCkIn

2. justicetones

justicetones Member

By the way disregard the simplicity in the clips. I did it purposely so that you could hear the noise or lack of it on the Backplate clips

3. justicetones

justicetones Member

What are you guys thinking of the results. Please post. :BEER

4. JNixon

JNixon Member

I have one of these on the way myself. How easy was it to install?

5. justicetones

justicetones Member

very easy if you have three single coils. Did you buy a regular would middle p/u (not RWRP).

6. JNixon

JNixon Member

yes it's going on a parts-caster that I'm assembling, so I ordered a set of Rios for it with the normal middle pickup.

7. justicetones

justicetones Member

I just ordered my Suhr V60lp's today all normal polarity and wind. About 6.5K each. I will report on the results with the suggested non RWRP middle pickup.

8. JNixon

JNixon Member

Did you order a second neck model for the middle? or does Suhr wind specifically for each position?

The clips sound really good. I hope to get mine installed by the end of the week.

9. justicetones

justicetones Member

No they just put a neck P/U in the middle position from my understanding in talking with Ed. I wanted a vinatge bridge too and they use a neck wind for that. Ed was saying that was what Fender did in the early days.

Thanks by the way I am glad the clips are useful for others. I didn't concentrtate on the playing as much as on a part that would let the noise or lack of it be apparent. Also on recording them as consistent as possible so the test would not be skewed by the process.

10. justicetones

justicetones Member

Just installed a set of V60lp's all neck pickups in this guitar. No RWRP middle and readjusted the system and man it is quiet.

I absolutely love it and am going to retrofit at least one more of my strats.

11. JNixon

JNixon Member

Finally got mine installed last night and had the same experience. It really does a great job with cancelling the majority of the hum. I still get a little hum if I am close to or right in front of the amp, but otherwise in normal playing situations where the amp is a few feet away it is very quiet. It's really amazing to adjust the trim pots and to hear the hum that was always there just disappear. Very Cool!