Suhr BPSSC Users Check in!! :)

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jamison162, Jan 29, 2007.

1. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

What comes to mind first is simply measuring the decay time of a plucked string for both pickup configurations. Use protools or equivalent to record and measure the time from point of contact to 50%, 30%, and 10% of max signal. One configuration or the other should show a longer time to decay, implying lower string pull. The hardest part will be getting consistent and equivalent string plucks, but you should be able to average out several samples. You would also need to be careful about keeping pickup height the same between configurations.

After that, all that's left is updating your SSC features/benefits list with one more benefit!;)

2. KLB

KLB Member

Regardless of any difference in string pull with a same vs. RWRP middle pickup, the TONE is different with two parallel coils spread apart vs. a series humbucker spread apart.

Imo, the parallel coil tone will be fuller/fatter, loose less highs, and give a stronger lead tone. The RWRP combo sounds more hollow or "quacky" and may be somewhat better for backing rhythm tones.

The relative strength and tonality of each of the two pickups (neck/middle, middle/bridge) will of course have an effect, too.

All in good fun!

3. lbw

lbw Member

Around the 6.5-7k range as they're 5% underwound. Yeah, I rang Lindy a while back. I was hoping I could flip the magnet or something on the SP42 but he said it's a no go (unless I want to try and pry it off with a razor blade) so I need to order another pickup.

4. jamison162

jamison162 Member

I thought Lindy told me once they we do a rewind for free or next to nothing....

5. lbw

lbw Member

The magnet is glued to the bottom of the pickup, they can't flip it easily like a regular alnico pole piece pickup. It's like a P90.