Suhr BPSSC.... worth it??

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by smawer, Apr 13, 2008.

1. smawer

smawer I like to play.

hey guys.
    getting a tiny bit sick of the hum from my beautiful new pups from mickb.
    i mean.. they are incredible sounding pickups, but i susceptable to that stock hum we all know.

is the Suhr BPSSC Backplate Silent Single Coil System worth the price?? i mean.. its $250!
    anyone bought and installed them?

cheers!
    Simon.

2. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

Yes it works but it dose take a few frequencies with it.Better than stacks though.

3. LReese

LReese Member

The Suhr backplate is the best solution i've found so far. If there is a difference in tone, I can't tell - I think I'm pretty picky about tone changes. It does seem to add some RF hum to the system (not the 60hz hum that it is supposed to cancel). I'll keep buying them.

4. Figher53

Figher53 Member

If it changes the sound, I certainly can't tell. Neither can Scott Henderson, FWIW... I do agree it's pricy, but there's nothing out there that does what it does. They do show up in the emporium from time to time for around $210 or so.

5. AndrewSimon

AndrewSimon Member

I just installed one... yesterday!
    It takes out the heavy 60Hz hum pretty good, I would say 85% of the noise is gone.... or if you will my Strat is now almost as quiet as my LP.
    You still need to shield your guitar, high frequency interference is still there.
    The tone? that's hard for me to answer because I changed pups as well
    but from my impression, if there is a change, it's extremely tinny.

:)

6. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

please tell me that's a typo!:D

when my store first got suhrs with the backplate they came with push-pull pots to disengage the system. playing with it myself, i couldn't hear a tone difference that wouldn't be chalked up to the placebo effect.

i had someone play one behind my back, using a clean sound and turning the guitar to a "quiet" angle so the noise difference wouldn't give it away, and play with the guitar in both settings. i was able to pick out when it was engaged pretty reliably, but the difference was so slight, it was like going from a good 10' cable to a good 20' cable. i would never have been able to tell without the instant switching.

put it this way, it's far less of a tone change than even the best noiseless pickups.

7. AndrewSimon

AndrewSimon Member

Agreed... and that's what I said.... more or less.
    I'm not jumping from joy yet because the pups went in replacing Joe Barden pickups.
    The Bardens are dead silent (more then humbuckers) and .... they have much more sustain... something that I miss.
    Anyway if you come from traditional single coils, the backplate will do wonders for your tone.
    Not only it will lower noise but it will allow you to push more gain without everything turning into mush.
    Make sure your pups are 6K-8K and NO RWRP in the middle!... otherwise it will not work!

:)

8. Festus

Festus Supporting Member

Yes, the BPSSC is absolutely worth it.

9. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

If you play out you need the BPSSC - it's a great piece of gear for your guitar. The only parameters are that all your pickups are same wind and same polarity.

Even without the BPSSC I prefer them all the same wind, but that's just me.

10. Bob V

Bob V Member

How does it work with sets that have slightly different resistance/inductance for each position, in other words where the bridge pickup is wound a little hotter?

11. Dave

Dave Member

Shouldn't matter as long they're all below 8K and the same wind/polarity.

12. EBGB

EBGB Member

I love it

So worth it for your gigging strat

13. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

actually, though that's suhr's recommendation, i modded a new highway 1 strat with a BPSSC <cough>it's for sale at the store <cough> and it works like a champ with the 10-11k single coils that the new highway 1's come with. i of course swapped out the middle pickup for another neck pickup to keep the polarity the same on all three.

14. Dave

Dave Member

Cool, that's good to know.

I have 2 guitars with built in SSC, a Suhr Classic with 3 single coils and a Suhr Classic T with 2 S90s. The SSC is more effective on the single coils than the S90s, so based on that I'd guess that the hotter the pickups the less effective the system is. I'm guessing John recommends 8K or less because the system becomes noticeably less effective, but apparently still works, beyond that range.

15. Figher53

Figher53 Member

If he ever comes out for a retrofit system designed for p90's I've got a LP junior that's waiting impatiently...