Suhr BPSSC

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by SpeakerTone, Aug 5, 2008.

1. SpeakerTone

SpeakerTone Member

I know there have been a couple threads about this in the past but now that this system has been on the market a little longer and more people have actual hands on experience I would like to know what more players think about it. The thread may be educational for guitarists who haven't heard about it also.
    I recently picked up a used Fender '57 reissue Strat. I love the tone of the pickups and don't want to change them out for noiseless. I do a lot of practicing late at night and at that time I can't turn up very loud and the 60 cycle hum is an issue. It's also a problem when recording sound clips with a condenser mic.
    The middle pickup isn't reverse wound so I don't have to replace it to get full benefits from the backplate system.

(I do have a Bill Lawrence SN L280 in the neck of my American Standard Strat and am very happy with it.)

I emailed Suhr and was told along with shielding the Strat the BPSSC will eliminate about 80 percent of the hum.

Any comments from actual users would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!
    Bob Hyde

2. Glide

Glide Member

Great post - Thanks.

I want to know more about the BPSSC from owners also. I want to put one in my home built rosewood strat.

On a related note, I ran across this in GP mag and it may remove some of the hum: http://www.ebtechaudio.com/humxdes.html

3. gtrnstuff

gtrnstuff Member

Works great! Almost as quiet as Kinman noiseless, and they are quieter than my humbuckers. My BPSSC is on a parts strat with Texas Specials. I can actually use them for hi gain tones without all the hum (like Eric Johnson has:)

The HumX is for ground loops between gear, not noise picked up by single coil pickups. Not that you might not find it helpful.

4. stratus

stratus Supporting Member

I have the backplate in both of my 56 Relic Strats! Works as described. Better with a pickgaurd shield and you get to keep "REAL" single coils that you love in your guitar with no noticeable change in tone! Gets rid of most of the 60 cycle hum.Well worth the investment IMHO. Go for it. Easy to install.

5. cerebralpaul

cerebralpaul Member

6. peterdjp

peterdjp Member

I got noisless pu's a while back for the same reasons you described. Started w/ Fender noiseless then went to Kinmans. After a while I was hooked on the noiseless even though I knew the tone was not as good as it could be. Got the SSCS and a set of Fralins and man oh man that's the ticket right there, yes sir !
    Awesome, only slightley noiser than stacked humbuckers. Sounds just fantastic. I still need to swap out my Kinmans as I can't even play those Strats anymore.
    Only thing, you need a non reverse wound middle PU. I just used two of the neck PU's. Go for it. You won't regret it. When I first got it I could'nt stop telling people about it. It's the real solution.

7. zenfreud

zenfreud Member

Dang, really that quiet? I'd read about this thing a while ago and seen some positive responses, but now you guys have got me thinking.

8. RvChevron

RvChevron Member

The performance of the BPSSC is crucially affected by how the trim pots are adjusted.

Without properly adjusting the trim pots, some feel the noise level isn't reduced as much as described, and then some other folks feel it robs some of the highend and changes the tone.

Also, the BPSSC does not work as well as the factory installed system which can be heard from Scott Henderson's video demo. Don't mix up the two.

9. zenfreud

zenfreud Member

Yeah, I'd imagine that'd be the case. But it's not really a drawback if they're adjusted correctly, no?

But if someone did in fact have the system properly adjusted? Do you personally feel it changes the tone for the worse?

I've read that on some other BPSSC threads too. Does anybody know why the aftermarket system may not offer the full benefits that a factory-equipped Suhr with BPSSC may have? AFAIK, the posters who have already chimed in (sorry for the Strat pun) all have non-Suhr guitars, they seem pretty happy with the BPSSC's performance.

10. RvChevron

RvChevron Member

Trim pots adjustment:
    Result varies depends on your playing environment, noisey lights and electrical wiring etc compared to say clean powered studio.

BPSSC vs Factory installed system:

The factory installed system has the cavity fully shielded and surrounded by the...eh....system. The BPSSC is placed at the back of the guitar cavity. I'm sure their may be more but this is one major difference.

To me, once the trim pots are adjusted at the optimal setting, according to my ears and playing environment, the BPSSC reduces about 70% of the 60 cycle hum without messing with the original tone.

11. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

I have 'em in my new Shur Classic ..
    And will say this about 'em ... when playing without OD, the small percentage of hum is not really noticable ...

But when you do kick in some OD... Hum is still there, but nothing compared to a blatent 60 cycle ....
    However the system is not like EMG's which still remain mostly quiet even with OD kicked in ..

12. gtrnstuff

gtrnstuff Member

My EMGs didn't hum with hi gain, but there was noticeable hiss from the active electronics. I guess it's down to choosing your favorite noise.

13. 57paf

57paf Member

+1. If you have really hot single coils, its a little less effective. Best to check with Suhr.

14. SpeakerTone

SpeakerTone Member

Thanks for the input so far!
    It would be a no brainer if the BPSSC wasn't so expensive. I'd like to think I'll get 259 $ of 60 cycle hum out of my life if I install it.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2008
  15. SpeakerTone

SpeakerTone Member

This is concerning my American '57 Strat reissue.
    The Strat had awful shielding and also a nasty 60 cycle hum problem.
    I wouldn't go as far as saying it removed my will to live but it was really bad. Particularly all the electrical noise it was picking up because of the poor shielding.

I bought a used BPSSC from a TGP member. I also ordered some copper shielding tape with conductive adhesive from Stew Mac. The '57 ships without a reverse wound middle pickup so I didn't have to change it out. The system is designed for SSS guitars with all 3 pickups having the same polarity.

I should note that I emailed Suhr about my '57 about the same time I started this thread last year. The BPSSC is optimized to work with single-coil pickups with the DC resistance ratings between 6K Ohms and 8K Ohms.
    My Strat comes in at about 5.8. Suhr told me that I will lose about 80% of the 60 cycle hum.

I had a buddy, Cory Wheeler, who's an excellent amp tech, builder and guitarist, shield the Strat and install the Suhr backplate system.
    He told me the entire job took him about 3 hours or so.
    Here's a pic of the shielding before he put it back together.

[​IMG]

As you can see he did a great job. As you may also see I just found out the hard way that the bridge pickup cavity was routed out by a previous owner and I didn't know until today. The pickguard is stock and covered it up. I paid 720.00 for the guitar about 2 yrs ago or so and street price on a new one in surf green is 1899.99 so my blood pressure didn't go up as high as it could have. It's never going to be a collector but as evidenced by the grime, it's a player.

Bottom line:
    The shielding removed almost all of the noise from electrical interference and the BPSSC removed, with no exaggeration about 80 - 90% of the 60 cycle hum. The hum really isn't an issue now. I was getting ear fatigue prior to installing the BPSSC especially when practicing late at night when I have to keep the volume way down..
    I haven't tried it with pedals yet but I did plug it straight into Cory's amp tonight while it was onstage at a local club, the Ringside. The Ringside is semi notorious for having some loud wiring same as just about any club with fluorescent and neon lights.
    At home and at living room volume it's practically as quiet as a guitar with humbuckers.
    I decided to give the Suhr a try after reading all the replies the TGP members took the time to leave. I appreciate your help.

For you players who are not familiar with the backplate I inserted a link to their site below.

I am not associated with Suhr in any way. Just a satisfied customer.

http://www.suhrguitars.com/pickups.aspx#bpssc

Last edited: Aug 13, 2009
  16. faizz

faizz Member

Shielding + bpssc reduced the 80% - 90% of noise on my strat: i mount Fralins, middle pickup had to be send back to Lindy for being rewired.

my .02,
    Faizz

17. Frenster

Frenster Put your Rock Face on!

Fantastic system. Cut about 80-90 percent of the hum out and kept the true single coil tone. I've tried nearly every "noiseless" strat style pickup on the market and STILL nothing sounds as good as the real thing. The BPSSC makes what was "unmanageable" totally manageable. I have it on two of my axes

18. Lespaulsignature 74

Lespaulsignature 74 Silver Supporting Member

I have the BPSSC installed in my American Std. Strat with Fralin Vintage Hots and in my Suhr Pro S3 with FL Standards and I can't detect any tone loss. If there is any tone loss it's very slight at best. IMHO it's a much better alternative to stacked or side by side single spaced humbuckers.

19. luchof26

luchof26 Member

I am a pickup builder and designer and I can tell you that this is by far the best system designed to get rid 60 cycle hum in single coil strat while retaining most if not all of your original single coil tone.

Most of all the other noiseless pickups are not really single coil pickups. They most of the time have dummy coils with some type of shielding(for not getting any signal) to cancel the noise produce by the signal part of the pickup. This type of setup always affect at some point the values (inductance, resistance, etc) of the signal coil affecting the tone someways.

The BPSSC is also a dummy coil but a very large one(efective in getting noise and completely not getting any signal). The pots adjust the amount of noise that you input to the signal while affecting as little as posible the original signal and values of the pickups.

It is the most clever 60 cycle hum design ever design IMHO. I think that it is overpriced because it is very cheap to make but still the best alternative in the market.

20. Phil M

Phil M Member

I'm about to order my Suhr strat type. I find single coils tough to use live because of the noise. I play rock and often use high gain.

It sounds like the BPSSC doesn't cut out all of the noise but a good enough percentage to make the guitar more useable.

Can the BPSSC be installed on a guitar along with the Tremol-no, or do they get in eachother's way?