Suhr C vs D necks - which closest to an LP?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by lv, Oct 12, 2005.

1. lv

lv Supporting Member

Getting ready to order Suhr #2 and trying to pick the neck shape closest to the big Historic Gibson Les Pauls....anyone know if it would be closer to the C or D?

Thanks

2. procos

procos Supporting Member

In the Grouse woods or on the golf course
    You're hooked bro. So am I. I just ordered #4.

Chuck

3. LightninBoy

LightninBoy Member

The Even C Huge measures out .880 - .960 (you may have known this already - couldn't find the measurements for this profile on Suhr's website and thought you might find this info useful) - I personally prefer larger necks like you find on Historics, and have a Suhr with the Even C Huge. I find this neck very comfortable, but the Historics I've played felt a little beefier (with variations of course). Never played the D neck...

4. lv

lv Supporting Member

thanks for the comments so far....its not the size I'm wondering about its the shape - are historic LP's closer to a C shape or a D shape?

Thanks

5. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

Some little voice in my mind is telling me that when I get my Suhr Classic I'm going to want to order a Suhr T style guitar.

I too like the Gibson Heritage necks, though I find them a little flat in the back and a tad to cheeky on the sides, still, my Goldtop R7 is one of my favorite playing necks. In fact, I'd almost call my goldtop a soft square neck profile. The Suhr Classic I'm ordering is going to have the same neck thickness specs I measured off my Goldtop but in a soft V, I find I prefer so soft a V it's barely noticable that it has V'ness to it.

So what other things are you having done for your next Suhr, Lou?

6. John Mayes

John Mayes Member

I measured a 50's LP junior and it was .950 at the first fret and 1.15 at the 12th fret. I'm building a LP junior style right now and I went that direction. Very rounded, and chunky, but comfortable. I went .900 at the first and .975 at the 12th.

Couple pics in rough form...Even though historically this guitar would have gotten a cherry finish I'm going to TV yellow on this one...just cause I dig that color...it's getting Lollar p-90's...I really dig vintage guitars..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. lv

lv Supporting Member

Kelley - very similar to my current one, but maybe the even C neck and the 3 V60LP's with the silent coil system. Trying to decide between the 1088 like I have now, or the Wilkinson VG300.

8. lv

lv Supporting Member

Thanks John!

9. John Mayes

John Mayes Member

no problem. My pleasure.

John

10. neastguy

neastguy Member

my 1980 lp custom feels like a C to me.... I would think a medium C I guess I should get caliper too before I slap down an order...