Suhr Classic J Opinions

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by A-Bone, Aug 14, 2010.

1. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

I started as a bass player many, many years ago, and my recent time spent listening to the Beatles catalog has created something of a hankering for a bass again. Those McCartney lines are just spectacular.

I own a few Suhr guitars, and love them, so I am guessing that I would also like the Suhr bass platform, but am wondering if anyone here has any opinion about the Suhr Classic J (especially anyone here that owns one). And if any of you would suggest a different bass route.

Thanks.

2. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

they're crazy-nice instruments. if you're a jazz bass guy, you'll like them.

3. A-Bone

No one else? Maybe I should join TalkBass and post this (or search) over there...

4. daysleeper

daysleeper Member

Sadowsky seems to be the most popular high end J-bass at Talkbass.

Personally, nothing can touch a Pedulla Thunderbass as an all-around bass guitar at a fair price. Bolt on necks are okay for guitars, but a quality through neck should be mandatory for a bass. Add to that quality, modern electronics and excellent finish, and there's no good reason to go back to 1960, or whenever.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2010
  5. Devnor

Devnor Member

I've been seriously considering pulling the trigger on their Jazz bass. Once I get back from the Rush show it will be all over....wonder if they offer block inlays?!?!

6. LarryNJ

LarryNJ Senior Member

Suhr, Alleva-Coppola, Sadowsky, Lull, Lakland,all top rate J-Basses, can't go wrong.
    And don't forget the FCS (Fender Custom Shop) either for their benchmark builds.
    ...Or G&L, yeah they rate up there no question.Their JB is awesome.

No reason for a bass to have to be neck-thru; many builders opt for a bolt-on bass, as all of the above J-copies are- Also MTD, Elrick, and many others go with a bolt-on for the impact and tone.
    I have neck-thrus- (Rickenbackers and a Carvin)- I like them; they have a great tonal quality as well, but the supposed advantages in sustain-Not to my ears.
    Lots of output is in the hands as well as the instrument being utilized,but a fine bass like a Suhr etc. will max out what you got!

Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
  7. walterw

sure, except that bolt-on basses sound better :stir

BobK and fretless like this.
  8. GuitarBrent

GuitarBrent Member

Listen to Walter...he knows what he's talking about. Seriously, if I ever buy a bass, it would be the Suhr J-Bass.

9. JDouglee

JDouglee Member

The bassist I work with alot visited the NAMM 08 SUHR booth, and walked out with this. Punchiest thing I've ever heard, and now his Fenders & Yamahas are in retirement.

Chili Pepper Red

[​IMG]

10. landru64

landru64 Member

well, the yamahas... that's not a fair fight :D

and there's nothing like a GREAT fender.

i certainly believe john's bass is great, but if you're shopping, don't shop at one place. check out some of the basses listed above. also check out valenti and nordstrand and even what modulus has to offer. one of the best j basses i ever had was a fender custom shop relic. unfortunately the truss rod was at the end of its action, so it had to go. too much trouble down the line.

imho you should compare how they sit in a mix. there's a reason why the sadowsky is so popular. it's not high school popularity. it's just plain better than the rest in cutting through and integrating with the mix. i sold all my laklands when i got my first sadowsky. the only other basses that have stayed are my old fenders, a 77 stingray, a modulus Q5, and a danelectro.

i would however like to try a tyler :)

11. LarryNJ

LarryNJ Senior Member

So much killer gear available; causes GAS!

I have a Sadowsky NYC, perfect, light, thru the mix like buttah.

I have a Lakland (not a J; a Decade w/Darkstars) but the Lakland build..THE NECK!!!
    2nd to none.

Lusting for a particular FCS P/J, stupid expensive, but awesome,

I agree Valenti etc are all worthy.

And Modulus makes a J-Bass, inc. a Funk Unlimited w/ J-pups; I have the single MM pup version, there's a LOT to be said for graphite necks.

Back on topic- the SUHR is one hella bass.

12. Jarrett

Jarrett Member

If you are looking for a quality J-bass and don't want to spend a ton, the new Carvin SB4000/SB5000 and B40/B50 basses are really hard to beat. I had a $3000 (Made in Japan) Sadowsky Metro in house and sent it back and kept the $1100 (Made in USA) Carvin SB5000.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/customshop/boltneckbasses.php

PLus you can customize them pretty much however you want and get them in two months.

13. LarryNJ

LarryNJ Senior Member

+1
    Good feedback on those new Carvin J-syle basses.

14. daysleeper

daysleeper Member

Not to bass players with good ears.

Let's get Stanley Clarke on the phone.

15. A-Bone

Thanks for the suggestions and opinions so far.

Anyone else?

16. JDouglee

JDouglee Member

I spoke to my buddy Felix, the owner of the Suhr Bass above, he asked me to tell you guys he has the Modulus 5 with the MM pups, and says it's fine but no contest up against that Suhr. The Suhr he says is awesome because of how 'crazy punchy' it is, regardless of where you are on the neck with no dead spots, every note is just 'alive' as he put it.

(he's not an internet guy, but wishes you all well & good luck!)

17. hollowbody

hollowbody Member

I've had a Suhr jazz bass for six years and haven't used another during that time. It's a lovely instrument which has some of the sonic signature of a vintage j bass but the Suhr pre-amp takes it to a different place.
    The bass has all the usual qualities that anyone familiar with Suhr guitars will appreciate. I think they are a great value. The Sadowsky basses are, for example, considerably more expensive. I also tried a Mike Lull which I liked but would have had to change the pickups so the only other bass that compared both price and soundwise was a Don Grosh jazz.

18. LarryNJ

LarryNJ Senior Member

"No contest against the Suhr" ??

Tell Felix (since he's not an internet guy) that different basses aren't in contests. They all have different characters, tone, and crazy punchiness.-or not.

Modulus makes a Vintage J model and the Funk Unlimited has J pups as an option.
    (I have one with a Basslines MM & Aguilar OBP1). With the phenolic board and graphite composite neck, it can punch the face off ANY "traditional" J-Bass.
    Dead spots are near impossible with the method of laying graphite necks that Modulus employs.

So correct. There is no contest. They're 2 different basses.

I'd play a Suhr 7 days a week; they're superb.

I'd also love a Celinder, or a Nash, or a Low-End, or about a dozen other J-Basses (look into a Basslabs SOUL for instance) and I would gladly have a Lull without changing the pups to be happy, or maybe just order one with the brand that I prefer in the first place..

And there's "no contest" between a Suhr and my Sadowsky NYC with the Sadowsky VTC and their pups and pre; or my Trussart Steelcaster with incredibly powerful Duncan J pups, and with a perforated steel body and traditional wood neck, it has tone quality, resonance, and PUNCH that no other bass can produce- or my Hen-Bev B4 (EMG HZ's and tonewoods/build that gives it sustain for hours) They're the best J-Basses on their own terms.

No contest.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wish Felix good luck right back.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2010
  19. JDouglee

JDouglee Member

Yup that's what he told me. I don't know what exactly you're trying to say, but this thread is about 'Classic J' opinions & that was his. That's it. The Suhr is obviously delivering something
    that he likes to hear, where his others are not. YOU might have a different result.

And there's nothing wrong with not being an 'internet guy'. ;)

20. walterw

sure, but only if we can conference-call with roger sadowsky and every record producer ever. ;)