Suhr Classic Pro Anyone?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Z Tone, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Z Tone

Z Tone Member

I am looking at the classic pro to replace my current strat. This guitar looks very nice and sounds great on the youtube videos I watched. Just wondering if anyone can tell me how this guitar compares with say an American Fender strat? I like the fact it has stainless frets.

2. 3 Mile Stone

3 Mile Stone Silver Supporting Member

Yes, I have one. I think the thing you get with the Suhr is that the quality and craftsmanship is just very high. Fender doesn't ever get there with it's production guitars and honestly I've never played a Strat that can achieve the playabilty and ease of action obtained by Suhr, or say Tom Anderson. They are just better playing guitars. I think they sound better because of that higher quality level too.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
  3. your name here

your name here Supporting Member

I'll let you know in about two weeks. I'm getting a Surf Green rosewood board HSS. I've got an absolutely fantastic sounding, real '62 Strat to compare to. We'll see how that goes... Really though, my intent is not to pit them against one another. Rather, I expect the Suhr to sound and perform in a more "modern" vein. Which is what I want, and the reason I chose the humbucking bridge version. I'm looking forward to hearing the V70's and SSV in person. The description makes both sound right up my alley.

I only wish it had the roasted neck and tinted finish of the Antiques... Oh well. Still, I'll probably put a mint guard on it. :D

cragginshred likes this.
  4. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

I just received one this past week. Specs-wise, it was exactly what I was looking for (had the neck carve I wanted, SS frets, SSC system and the 510 trem). And since it's a Suhr, you know the quality and support will be there. I felt it was a no-brainer for the price and I'm satisfied with it so far.
    -
    Austin

cragginshred likes this.
  5. Z Tone

Z Tone Member

I have about decided to pull the trigger on one. I cant make up my mind if I want a SSS or a HSS model.

6. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Supporting Member

I just picked up a surf green HSS on Friday. I don't feel the need to play a different guitar maybe ever. It is ****ing awesome.

frankencat likes this.
  7. your name here

That good, huh? I'm excited for mine... I was a Strat guy (I was up to 6 of 'em at one point) from day one, then a few years ago, Teles grabbed me and haven't let go. My vintage strat has always had THE magic feel and tone. I'm wondering if I can feel that way about another Strat... We'll see. From what I've heard and seen, Suhr has maybe the best shot at it. :D

8. itstooloudMike

itstooloudMike Member

I have a Classic-S with SSS pickups, and before that I had Pro-Series with SSH. Both were/are fantastic guitars. For me, I just had to have the SSS setup. There were only two things I didn't like about the Pro-Series I had, and those were personal preference. It had the "even-C slim" neck carve, and I like the "even-C medium" on my Classic-S better. The other thing was the SSH pickups. The balance (output) between the single coils and the humbucker wasn't good, and position #2 (which split the humbucker coils) didn't get a convincing vintage Strat sound. I'm just a classic Strat guy, and need 3 singles. Personally, I would never get another SSH Suhr. I would either stick with SSS, or just get HH. But Suhr guitars are fantastic. And the Pro-Series are of the same build quality as the custom guitars. You cannot go wrong with a Suhr, as long as you get one with specs suited to your preference. And Suhr single coil pickups are the best I've tried. I never miss not having a humbucker. I just use a GE-7 to boost the mids, and crank the gain. If I use the neck pickup, you would be hard pressed to know you weren't hearing a humbucker. Great, great guitars. And the best necks on the planet. My Classic-S has the solid maple neck, and it plays beautifully. Very fast and smooth. Fenders just don't play like Suhrs do. Suhr fretwork is as good as it gets.

Bikedude likes this.
  9. guitarlifestyle

guitarlifestyle I like guitars. Silver Supporting Member

I have a Pro series SSS model that I received a little over a week ago. I love it. It's a fantastic guitar at a great price. I used to have a Grosh Retro standard, which was also a nice guitar, but I like the Suhr a little more. I was a little afraid it'd be too modern, but it really has a classic feel and vibe with modern playability. I'm curious to hear what your name here thinks after he compares it to his vintage Strat.

I saw John Suhr post here in a thread a while back that they are made by the same people and the same woods that the Custom guitars are made from. The cost savings come from standard features and no customization. Sure feels like a high end guitar to me.

10. cosmic_ape

cosmic_ape Supporting Member

Suhr. No contest.

cragginshred likes this.
  11. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Supporting Member

Yeah it's awesome. I had to play with the humbucker a little to balance it. The quartersawn neck is just titties. Mine is pretty heavy, too.

I'm playing through a Budda SD18 currently and the neck PU on lead channel is butter. The V70s and SSV sound great together.

12. 59Bassman

59Bassman Plank Cranker Silver Supporting Member

I've played a few classics at a local shop. They hang in there with the best Fenders I've played. Enough so that I placed an order for a custom Classic so I could get the specs I wanted. I don't think you can go wrong with one of the Pro models if they work for you.

13. gulliver

gulliver Member

Never played a Suhr, but have an SSV and V60LPs in an American Deluxe Strat. Didn't mean to do this, just ended up this way over years of pickup trial and error.

Very impressive pickups, at par with Fralin.

Fender makes some good pickups too, but I find myself owning only one Fender middle pickup out of many attempts.

14. Zuper

Zuper Supporting Member

I've been playing Suhrs for 10 years. Neck, frets, and overall feel is absolutely top-notch. Every Suhr I have ever played has a bit of a "hi-fi" tone that you either love or hate. "Crisp" is a good word to describe it. They are pretty unforgiving, but offer excellent note separation and really stand out from the other instruments, either live or recorded. Fenders sound muddy by comparison, IMO.

I have had some issues over the years, and John (and crew) has always gone above and beyond with customer service, even with the one Suhr I bought used (and still have). Pretty tough to beat, IMO.

15. Z Tone

Z Tone Member

I have a black with maple neck HSS on the way from Humbucker Music. Yea!!

16. Redrum

Redrum Member

I've been eye-balling these new Pro's since they were introduced. I've been playing an older Pro C1 (SSS) with the ML standards and SS frets which I absolutely love. It doesn't have the SSC system but it's insanely quiet for a single coil guitar and plays like a dream.

Been thinking about the new Pro's and was wondering if they have the bridge pup wired to it's own tone control like the old Pro C1. I've really come to appreciate that bridge tone control!

17. guitarlifestyle

guitarlifestyle I like guitars. Silver Supporting Member

The one I purchased a few weeks ago has the bridge pup wired to a tone control.

18. Z Tone

Z Tone Member

I'm hoping this guitar will cover most of what I play so I can sell some of my other guitars.

19. Bikedude

Bikedude Gold Supporting Member

This! I have both models, and my Swamp Ash/Maple SSS gets the most play time. I had a friend who plays Strat Plus's exclusively, play my Suhr the other nite on his gig, and he loved it. He especially liked the full bodied(mid range) tone in the 4 pos., that he can't get with his Strats(lace equipped). The Suhr's just seem to cut the mix, while never being to shrill, and yes the build quality is superb. I "knew" as soon as I had mine in my hands.

20. your name here

QUICK UPDATE:

Through a twist of fate, I ended up receiving the exact guitar shown in this video, instead of the surf green I was going to get... I haven't been able to plug it in and won't until tomorrow, but I'm super impressed with the feel, look and playability. Even unplugged, it sounds good and really resonates. I wasn't aiming for another fiesta red, but this one I'm ok with. Haha.

Next up is a tortoise guard...