Suhr Classic Pro & V70 Pups

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by c94123, Jan 26, 2015.

1. c94123

c94123 Supporting Member

These new Suhr offerings seem to have a nice feature set and a good price point. I'm intrigued by the new Classic Pro T as well. I've only seen one thread about these guitars/pups on here and only one independent player video. The only other reviews/videos have come from Suhr. There have to be some of these out in the market. I'm really interested in feedback on the V70 pickups. What say you TGP - anybody given these a spin? Thanks.

2. ducmike

ducmike Silver Supporting Member

I have one. Classic pro HSS, rosewood board. So hard to describe tone, but I'll try. Really need to check one out if you can.

I love the V70 singles. I like them better than the MLs, the Guitar Sanctuary has some custom classics with MLs also, so I was able to compare. I have not played the V60LPs in a long time so I can't compare.

The V70s are lower output, but not with the spikey highs of a lot of low output singles I have played. Very clear and articulate, but also balanced, not overly bright at all. They work great with higher gain settings on my Splawn and with fuzz too. They respond well to picking dynamics and to the volume and tone knobs.

Great build quality and perfect set up as one would expect from Suhr. The SSV really helps keep the noise down with higher gain, but doesn't totally eliminate it. Far better than not having it. I'm very happy with the Pro.This is my first Suhr with the face jack, and they have done a great job of making sure the cable does not interfere with the whammy bar.

3. c94123

c94123 Supporting Member

Thanks for the information. Need to find one around here to check out.

4. FiestaRed

FiestaRed Gold Supporting Member

You're more likely to see bigfoot than to find a Suhr in this town. I had to order mine online.

5. c94123

c94123 Supporting Member

I know. It's a ghost town as far as good guitar shops.

6. dead of night

dead of night Member

Is there a new Suhr Classic T Pro?

7. mslugano

mslugano Supporting Member

If you like the neck shape (and I prefer fat necks and wide nuts), this is the best deal in the new guitar market, IMO. Suhr quality product and support, stainless frets, SSC, V70's foir less that $2000?!

8. pir8matt

pir8matt Member

I just picked up a classic antique from a fellow TGP'er here and I can't say enough good things about that guitar. It has an SSV and V70's in it and I'll just say, it pushes all my single coil and humbucker needs in one package. The neck and fretwork are exemplary and the trem is great too. Probably going to buy another with a maple board for a backup. Wish I hadn't spent so much time d*cking around with PRS'es when this is really what I was looking for all along.

Artb likes this.
  9. c94123

c94123 Supporting Member

Yes - just announced at NAMM.

10. c94123

c94123 Supporting Member

Yeah - that's the rub. I had a Suhr Custom T with the C Vintage Standard neck. Didn't like it - felt a little small. These have the Even C Medium, which is a little larger. I could have lived with the standard neck shape, but it wasn't my favorite. I would love to find a Suhr in the stores so I could check out the neck shape and not waste the time ordering one only to find out I still need a larger neck size. The rest of the specs seem dead on to what I'd order and I like what I've heard of the V70s.

11. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Gold Supporting Member

Wow, just checked those out on the suhr page. Lots of great features for the money.

12. dead of night

dead of night Member

But the Classic T's get the regular T pickups, right? Not a version of the 70's?

13. c94123

c94123 Supporting Member

Correct or you can opt for a covered SSV neck humbucker. The Classic T Pro's do not have the V70s.

14. dead of night

dead of night Member

Have these shown up in any stores yet? Perhaps this should get its own thread. The Suhr Classic T Pro Series merits one.

15. goodkungfu

goodkungfu Member

Awww, crap.

I was saving for the classic pro but now I'll need an extra $2000 for the classic T as well.

Gotta have both. ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. JHL

JHL Member

E: Moved my Classic T-question to a more suitable thread...

17. cr0wnest

cr0wnest Member

Spot on. I just installed the V70's set on my Strat recently, and its been great so far. The bridge pickup was overly bright to me though, and its got a lot of twang. At least more so than the Lace Sensors I upgraded from. A bridge tone control is a must for the V70, even John recommends that. The combo positions don't sound overly compressed and I find they have just the right amount of quack to them. On top of that these pickups drive very well and you can still hear the original character of the pickups behind the drive.

I have another guitar with the ML Standards in the neck and middle, and I think the V70's beat those hands down. :)

18. JDouglee

JDouglee Member

Yes absolutely. Any real single coil needs this IMO. :cool:

19. ducmike

ducmike Silver Supporting Member

Tone control is a must with any bridge pup for me, even buckers. My Suhr has the SSV in the bridge, and I keep the bridge tone on 8-7.

20. cosmic_ape

cosmic_ape Supporting Member

Last edited: Mar 15, 2015