Suhr Classic S Bridge Pickup Replacement

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Count_Chocolat, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Count_Chocolat

Count_Chocolat Member

This in follow-up to a thread I started a while back

I have a Suhr Classic S, great guitar...I love everything about it except the bridge pickup. I find the bridge position a too bright and not hot enough. So I contacted Suhr support about routing the body and adding a Suhr humbucker in the bridge, essentially modifying my guitar from a SSS to HSS. Apparently I cannot do that because I may ruin the Hum Cancelling system which is built into the body.

Recently I've been reading about the Dimarzio line of single coil sized blade pickups. So I'm considering replacing the bridge position with a Super Distortion S or something similar.

If I went that way, I'm not sure at this point if I would have to change any of the pots or components, I need to consider that also.

Any thoughts on this, perhaps one of you has had a similar experience and can chime in...

Thanks

2. dazco

dazco Member

I have a dimarzio super distortion blade for tele bridge. Actually sounds pretty good, tho nothing spectacular. Just a very usable hot pickup that gets the job done. As far as pot value, one way to accomplish 500k for the HB and 250k for the SC's is to use a 500k pot and put a 470k resistor from each single coil's how wire at the switch to ground. Then when the singles are selected the resistor will essentially be across the pot making it effectively a 250k pot. Only compromise is when the neck and middle are selected together the effective pot value will go down to around 160k. Thats not necassarily a bad thing, you may actually like it. So i say "compromise" in that it will be different than what is considered normal. I used a 220k in one of my guitars because i WANTED it to drop to around 150k for the SC and it's combined positions. It just sounds better like that in that guitar (HSH) because the SC in the middle is so bright.

3. shredmiyagi

shredmiyagi Member

I'm thinking... Wouldn't installing a SC blade p/u in the bridge still cause a disparity with the other SCs? I think the hum canceling needs all 3 pickups to be fairly identical, whereas a blade is gonna act more like a HB despite its size..?

4. willyboy

willyboy Member

Wiring shouldn't be an issue. E-mail Suhr and he'll give you the diagram for HSS using the SSC for the needed PUP positions.