Suhr Classic S users (past & present) - I have research questions

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Fretsalot, Nov 18, 2017.

1. Fretsalot

Fretsalot Member

So, after watching the recent 4-hour Suhr interview, I was impressed with some of the things John Suhr said, and I got more interested in Suhr guitars (S style). Unfortunately, there are no Suhr guitar dealers in the Seattle area (or even Washington). Sidenote: this surprises me some since Seattle is no backwater town. Anyway... since I can't check them out in person, and experience has taught me to not buy any guitar I can't play before I pay, I have these questions about Suhr guitars.

My point of reference is I have a '95 Fender SRV strat with a David Allen RnB's 60 loaded pickguard. This guitar is... pretty good... playability wise and I enjoy it sound wise... but it has a problem (that I really won't go into here), that has created a confidence issue so I think I'd simply like to move onto another strat. Two other quibbles about the SRV are lefty handle trem bridge, and the fret wire height.

My questions are based mostly on the features of the Suhr Classic Pro SSS, which appeals to me.
    1. What I've read about the medium C neck profile seems encouraging. I like my SRV neck profile, but the edges are to sharp for my tastes. Anybody have experience with the Suhr medium C and the SRV neck profiles who can say something useful about them both?
    2. I like the David Allen RnB60's in my SRV strat, will the V60LP's be similiar, or would the ML's be more to my liking? I play classic rock through a JCM800 4010 50w single-channel 1x12 combo; and a Rockitt Retro 50w 1987 model 'lead' 1968 spec plexi clone.
    3. The Suhr's come with stainless steel frets. What are the advantages or disadvantages of them compared to nickel frets?
    4. I don't have the fret specs in front of me, but the SRV frets are perhaps a bit taller than I care for. I don't care for the 'speed bump' sensation of sliding notes or chords/triads up & down the neck. For fret-knowledgeable people, how do the Suhr Classic Pro frets compare?
    5. Tusq vs bone nut... any opinions? I've not had a guitar with Tusq in the past, and have always chosen a bone nut when I've had a nut replaced.
    6. Suhr uses the Gotoh 510 bridge, how does this bridge compare to other popular trem-bridge designs? (vintage fender, etc). Any insight or opinions on Suhr's use of them?
    7. For those who have experience with both the Suhr roasted necks and the non-roasted necks, any strong opinions about one over the other? I'm aware of the roasted neck upcharge.
    8. For those who have played alot of Suhr guitars at Suhr dealers, how consistent did you find one to the next, tone & set-up wise? I ask because many of us have had experiences playing guitars within a product line that had enough differences in tone and playability that we might notice an example of 'the one' that we bond with.
    I've read many of the threads in this forum with 'Suhr' in the thread titles, so these are the questions I'm left with.

Thanks for reading any/all of that, and thank you inadvance for any answers you can provide.

Fretsalot/Scott

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
  2. Husky

Husky Gold Supporting Member

#1) SRV is probably closer to our 60's medium
    #2) cant go wrong with V60LP, I also like the Landau "Classic"
    #3) We offer both but the stainless are more popular.
    #4) that is a 6105, our "medium" would probably do the trick or sometimes a wider "heavy" wont feel as bumpy since it is wider

arelicmind, MickeyJi, REDFIVE and 6 others like this.
  3. Hackdog69

Hackdog69 Supporting Member

I haven't played a suhr that wasn't excellent, my man guitar at the moment is a 09' Classic.. Medium 60's neck, Brazilian rosewood fretboard( its pretty much perfect ) 6100 SS frets, FL pickups ( I believe that are the same as the ML's today ) SSC1, with no tone controls in the 2 and 4 position.. the guitar is special, I will be buying a antique classic HSS because I want a maple fretboard..

Really can't go wrong with a Suhr.. IMHO

frankencat and Fretsalot like this.
  4. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

I'll try to answer, but everything is IME only.
    I love Suhrs. Had quite a few. Sold ones for various reasons, but nothing was 'wrong' with any of them.
    Tried a Pro S years back (S3 or S4) with the C Slim and cannot handle that neck. Too small for me, but the Ellipticals on the Moderns seemed to have more heft to me.
    Sold a Classic S and Classic T to get through my divorce years ago and have replaced them both since then. Happy to say the new Suhrs are just as amazing as the previously ones I owned (both had very similar specs to their mentors, as well).

I've had experience with the following neck carves, too-
    C Slim, C Medium, 60s C Standard, 60s C Medium, C Fat, 50s Round and Modern .80-.85. Different radiuses, as well (9-12, 10-14, 16).

Also, I've owned the SRV strat a couple times in the past.

1. The C necks don't have the sharp edges. Rounded, IMO, but also not a ton of 'shoulder.' IMO, the SRV neck felt closer to the Suhr 50s Round carve, but not as symmetrical. The 60s Medium C, .83-.95 is a real 'classic' feeling neck and by far my favorite for a strat-type.
    2. Had experience with the MLs (current Classic S) and the V60LPs (old Classic S). Pete Thorn stated, and I can't find a better way to describe the difference myself, but the V60LPs are 'greasier.' Not muddy at all, but the MLs have a 'clearer' tone, to my ears. Both are great, just depends on what you are after.
    3. SS frets = never a refret, and I think the sound is the same, but the FEEL is much better, IMO. Just silky smoothness. I will always have SS frets now.
    4. I think SRV was "Jumbo" frets. From how you're describing things, choose Medium SS frets, which is what my Suhrs have.
    5. Never had an issue with either, but my Suhrs have the Tusq.
    6. Love the Gotoh. Sold tremolo. Bent saddles, IMO, will get closer to strat tones, though, again IMO, the difference isn't huge.
    7. Roasted necks. Feel better to me and are supposed to be more stable (never had an issue with my non-roasted necks), which I wanted for the climate changes here (Denver, CO).
    8. Every single Suhr I've touched, mine and others, have been set-up amazingly. Flawlessly. Fit and Finish is extremely consistent, IME. One of few brands I would never have hesitation purchasing without playing first.

Hope that helps! RocketMusic is a wonderful dealer to purchase from, too.

RolandKorg and Fretsalot like this.
  5. Fretsalot

Fretsalot Member

Last Nerve,

Many thanks for addressing all my questions. A 'like' didn't seem adequate enough to show my appreciation.

Fretsalot/Scott

6. Nitrobattery

Nitrobattery Member

Depending on how much driving you want to do, East Side Guitar Repair in Portland, OR often has at least a few Suhrs.

7. Fretsalot

Fretsalot Member

Last Nerve,

A couple of follow-up questions, now that I've had time to study your reply.

I take it from your answer about profiles and Husky's answer... that the 'C Medium' and '60s C medium' are not the same profile. The current classic pro seems to be offered with the 'C Medium'. Since you and Husky made a point of mentioning the '60s C Medium', how does it compare to the 'C Medium'?

Regarding your answer to #8, and I realize this is a subjective question... if you have had the chance to play multiple copies of the same model guitar, side by side, did you find them tonally consistent or varied enough that you might want to 'hand choose' a Suhr? (I realize I'm asking this question in spite of your not having hesitation to purchase prior to playing a candidate.)

Thanks again,

Fretsalot/Scott

8. tfunster

tfunster Silver Supporting Member

I’ve got a ssh antique classic you can try if you’d like. I’m in south seattle

Hackdog69, Fretsalot and RolandKorg like this.
  9. Fretsalot

Fretsalot Member

tfunster,

That is a very gracious offer... thank you! I'll PM you to set something up for an upcoming evening or weekend after I get over the last of a headcold I'm waging battle with right now.

Fretsalot/Scott

tfunster likes this.
  10. Last Nerve

Scott,

Yes, there is the 60s C Standard (.81-.93) and 60s C Medium (.83-.95).
    Same shape, just bigger. I prefer bigger necks. My two Classic Ts has the 50s Round and the C Fat.
    To me, the 60s C Medium is a comfy neck that feels good on a strat.
    If you were at all able to play the SRV neck, I would strongly suggest the 60s C Medium.

I've only had one Pro Series Suhr. The rest were customs. Some were used. Every one has been amazing. I've had examples of Classic S, Classic T, Standard and Modern. Impeccable, IMO. They're so comfy and easy to play. I learned what I like and what I don't with some of the examples I got my hands on, so ordering Customs was the way to go for me.

Fretsalot likes this.
  11. Husky

Husky Gold Supporting Member

The Even C has less taper so not such a drastic thickness change from the nut to the 12th. The 60’s C is more vintage fender.
    50’s round is a little beefier real friendly though.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
    FiestaRed and Fretsalot like this.
  12. Fretsalot

Fretsalot Member

FWIW, the SRV is the only strat I've ever owned and I bought it because of that neck (also my first Fender purchase). I had told myself for years, if I ever found a strat that felt good in my hands, that I would buy it - that was the first strat that felt good to me. I bought it used 14-15 years ago and really only started playing it regularly in the last 2-3 years. My Les Pauls have gotten most of the love, over the years. I'm kind of fussy when it comes to necks. I think my favorite profile is likely the carve on many of the '59 LP reissues.

13. 3 Mile Stone

3 Mile Stone Silver Supporting Member

I have my second Suhr, a Classic that I picked up at Austin Guitar House recently. I will only address a couple of things that I feel comfortable telling you. The SS frets will feel a little different and sound slightly brighter. It's noticeable but something that you adjust to quickly. Suhr guitars are VERY consistent. I have owned two but played many. I would actually describe these instruments as beautiful, great sounding and consistent.

Fretsalot likes this.
  14. Fretsalot

Fretsalot Member

*bump* for the Suhr owning weekday bunch...

15. FiestaRed

FiestaRed Gold Supporting Member

If he likes his SRV neck, wouldn't the 50s Rounded be his best choice? I've not played a Fender SRV but in reading about it that sounds like it might be the closest. I have a 50s Rounded with 6100 frets and it is a substantial neck.

My next Suhr will probably have a custom taper C from .85 to .98. My Tyler has these measurements and it seems to be perfect for what I am looking for in a neck.

16. jujube

jujube Member

Since you mention Gibsons, have you tried an Eric Johnson Strat? You might like it due to the flatter 12" radius. Very resonant instrument. Atleast the one I have.

17. Last Nerve

Didnt want to confuse the OP but i do agree.a bit with what you're saying. I think the SRV would be between the two honestly. The 50s Round feels to me like a Gibson neck, if that makes any sense. 60s C, either one, feels more to me like a strat neck. I had and really liked the C Fat on the Classic T I had before this last one. Went 50s Round for something different and I dig it too. I think it's too symmetrical to remind me of a strat neck though.

FiestaRed likes this.
  18. 59Bassman

59Bassman Plank Cranker Silver Supporting Member

I have a shop local to me that carries Suhr. I've spent A LOT of time with them, and played just about every one they've had in. Every one of them has been a great guitar - not a single dog in the bunch. That consistency was enough for me to pull the trigger on a custom....not once but twice.

I've found the neck that works best *for me* is the Even C Medium, with the 1 11/16" nut width option. I like the "heavy" frets, and the 10 - 14" compound radius.

For both of mine, I've gone with roasted maple and a pau ferro fretboard. Pau Ferro is my favorite fretboard wood (and I think what the SRV uses). Both of mine have alder bodies (the T type is roasted) and V60LP strat pickups. I like that pickup a lot. Very musical and "stratty" while still being punchy as hell.

On my S type I went with the solid saddles. I just like the feel of them under my palm a bit better. Don't know if it has a real tone impact, frankly don't care. They are great guitars.

My T type was ordered last January. It was right about 9 months from pulling the trigger to unboxing the guitar, FWIW.

Worth the wait, great guitars.

[​IMG]

Todonne3, Redrum, M40A1 and 2 others like this.
  19. doublescale1

doublescale1 FSR Tele Silver Supporting Member

I live on the east side of metropolitan Detroit
    Husky had the meaty answers for you, but I have to disagree with those who say the SS frets will sound bright - through the amp, they just sound like any other fret. Maybe I don't have dog-ear hearing, but even acoustically I could not hear them as "brighter". For me, under your hand, they feel a little more "slippery" on bends, the strings seem to glide across the fret very easily, less drag, but that is the only diff I could tell between SS and Nickel frets. I like them a lot.

20. Last Nerve

I agree 100% with doublescale1 on his SS fret thoughts.
    Could not have said it better.