Suhr Classic S users (past & present) - I have research questions

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Fretsalot, Nov 18, 2017.

1. Fretsalot

Fretsalot Member

@59Bassman - thanks for your great reply - some good info there. I'm diggin' yer strat. Since you admitted to playing a number of Suhrs, and have opted for the roasted necks... in your experience and opinion, is a roasted vs plain Suhr neck a difference you think you can hear? Or is it more of a feel and stability thing for you?

Fretsalot/Scott

2. cosmic_ape

cosmic_ape Supporting Member

SS feels different. You may hear something when playing unplugged. I bet you any money you won’t hear a difference one you plug it in.

3. 59Bassman

59Bassman Plank Cranker Silver Supporting Member

Thanks for the kind words about the S-type. I don't think I could hear a difference in the roasted vs natural maple. However, I believe there is a tactile difference in how the finish sets up on the back of the neck, and I prefer the aesthetic of roasted. To me, the feel (with the satin finish option) is close to unfinished while still being smooth. I dunno, I have just really preferred the roasted maple necks I've played on the Suhrs my local shop has recieved.

Let me be completely honest about a couple of things though - with both of my customs I had a pretty specific goal in mind, and it wasn't a pure vintage type instrument. With both of them I wanted a highly playable, incredibly versatile guitar that could fill a variety of roles and give me everything I could need for what I'm likely to play. That included getting a different routing option than what the pickups were as stock (S-type is routed HSH, T-type is SSH), different wiring options (S-type has a push/pull on the lower tone knob - which is the bridge tone - to give me a parallel humbucker instead of series, and the tone pot on the T-type is a push/pull where up only changes the middle position to give me the classic Tele bridge/neck combo), and some choices that were purely for feel (2 post bridge with solid saddles on S-type, roasted necks with Pau Ferro, wider nuts, flatter radius and heavy stainless on both). I did *not* want a "Vintage" guitar - I have really good vintage-type Strats and Teles already. I wanted a classic looking guitar with modern features and playability that was still in the same ballpark tonally.

That's not to say that my guitars are lacking in tone in any way - they are GREAT. All I'm saying is I went for playability first, knowing that the sound would be good. I'd say that aesthetics were farther down the list, particularly on the S-type (inca silver goes with anything). No flamey wood, no drip finishes, the only real nods to vanity for me where the Abalone Suhr inlays on the headstock, and the double binding on the Tele.

Anyway, my long ramble on a short question. Would I do it again? Hell yes. I play with the Suhr Configurator on Matt's Music site almost every day trying to figure out what my next order is going to be.

Fretsalot and ProfRhino like this.
  4. Fretsalot

Fretsalot Member

Many thanks for another robust reply :dude

5. nikku

nikku Member

Can I ask what interview you watched?

6. Vai81

Vai81 Member

Its probably the Tone-talk podcast with Mark H and Dave Friedman or the 2x part Guitarwank podcast.

7. Fretsalot

Fretsalot Member

8. 3 Mile Stone

3 Mile Stone Silver Supporting Member

And another factor to consider. My Suhr stays in tune, literally, for days.
    This is the main reason I kicked my Fender and Gibson guitars to the side and have not gone back.
    I play a gig and I just grin after every song because I don't even LOOK at my tuner, unlike before when I regularly had to tune after each song. AND, when I do tune, it's one or two strings and they read strong, unwavering notes, not wobbling all over the place, then they achieve the pitch evenly and they STAY there. Suhr & PRS for me.

cosmic_ape likes this.
  9. Fretsalot

Fretsalot Member

Update...

Today, I took @tfunster up on his invitation to try out his Suhr (a '16 Classic Antique HSS w/rosewood neck). First, my sincere thanks to him for such a kind gesture to allow a total stranger to play his guitar. Everything I've read and all'y'all have been saying really seemed to match up with my first impressions of his guitar. My hand took to the medium C neck immediately - I don't think I would change a thing about it. The thing reeked of a solid build. The thing that impressed me most and is the first thing I notice of any guitar I put my hands on is the low, tight action - beautiful!

He had some prior experience playing a Classic Pro with the V60LP's and after discussing the merits of both a Classic Pro and a Classic Antique, I'm going to seek out a Classic Pro SSS w/rosewood neck... so if anyone has inside knowledge of holiday deals, etc on a new one, please pass along any info you can share.

@Husky - you might want to make Tfunster a field-rep... He's got great fretboard skills, knowledgeable about your products, and a patient demonstrator. Just sayin'... :rolleyes:

For those that have played both the ML pickups and the V60LP's, how might you describe the differences between the two?

Fretsalot/Scott

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
    Todonne3 and tfunster like this.
  10. JCU

JCU Silver Supporting Member

Isn’t the SRV neck shape a D/C (D in the upper part where the palm rests and C in the lower so access is easier)? - if the answer is yes, then you might want to get a Scott Henderson model, which has a D shape Roasted neck and Jumbos.

11. Fretsalot

Fretsalot Member

I'm not familiar with the neck profile details of the SRV neck... but finding a match to it isn't a high priority. I really liked the rosewood, medium C with the rounded fretboard edges on Tfunster's Classic Antique and can see myself enjoying the same neck on my own guitar.

12. tfunster

tfunster Silver Supporting Member

I just played the Antique Classic for a few hours today and man, it's just the absolute perfect neck size and shape (for me at least). I've all but convinced myself to buy another Classic Pro so I can have one with V60lps in addition to my current one with the MLs

Fretsalot likes this.
  13. CaliCaveMan

CaliCaveMan Supporting Member

LOL, I've been dealing with the same feelings. I have 3 Suhr's and I keep telling myself I need a classic with V60lps (i have a classic s with ML's and SSV) and a rosewood fingerboard. I say the same thing about a Tele. I have a good Tele (G&L asat classic american made), but I keep telling myself I want a Suhr Tele.

14. Fretsalot

Fretsalot Member

New question for those who may know... aside from the fretboard face material... do the rosewood and maple medium C necks feel the same in all other aspects like the dimensions, etc?

15. Fuzzr

Fuzzr Supporting Member

I didn’t make it past the scotch cork/sniff talk.

16. Fretsalot

Fretsalot Member

uhhh... OK?