Suhr Corso - Am I missing something?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Ugly Bunny, Dec 7, 2016.

1. Ugly Bunny

Ugly Bunny Supporting Member

Saw one of these little beasties at my local guitar store yesterday for an incredible price. I was gonna buy it on the spot when I saw the price, but then I noticed there didn't seem to be any reverb or FX loop or anything - am I missing something? It sounds so amazing (Pete Thorn's demo) but no FX loop or any way to incorporate tine-based FX is a deal-breaker :(

2. stevel

stevel Member

Hmm. Maybe what you're missing is not every amp is designed for every possible purpose?

I see it's a "recording" amp. That would imply most people are going to pull it into a DAW and use plug-ins for effects.

Remember also that in the past that most people want to re-live, no amps had effects loops and all time-based effects (echoplex, echorec, etc) were done before the amp. In fact, IIRC Pete Thorn actually has a video demonstrating the difference in sound (doing VH, maybe "You Really Got Me" IIRC). Maybe you should check that out. There's more than one way to make music.

3. Ugly Bunny

As condescending as your tone is, you do make some good points (though I'm not sure about this "past that most people want to relive" nonsense...). Anyway, I'm not suggesting every amp is for everything. I was just wondering if -literally, as the thread title says- I'm missing something. But I guess not. I was hoping maybe there was some trick to one of the jacks that tuned it into an FX loop or something (much like the Blackstar ID series amps). Besides - in the designers'/builders' discussion about it with Pete, they talk about it being a good home/bedroom amp - not that it's just a recording amp.

davidespinosa and Muffdriver like this.
  4. davidespinosa

davidespinosa Supporting Member

Very funny, I'm totally stealing that. You might be missing something -- the Corso has a Line Out that you can run into a delay or reverb. But then you need another power amp, etc. From the manual:

LINE OUT: Unbalanced 1⁄4” Output. Use this to connect the Corso to a mixer or recording device.
    NOTE: The Corso’s Line Out is full range (not compensated) and offers the sound of the entire amplifier, not just the pre-amp section. To fully experience all of the Corso’s tone when plugging directly into a I/O device we advise the use of filtering (cabinet emulator) or impulse responses when using the Corso to record direct.

Ugly Bunny likes this.
  5. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

Fx loops are really only useful on amps with some power! A big part of the tone of the corso is its power amp. It's only 5 watts and as you bring down the master you are attenuating. Get the amp into the zone tonally, and I guarantee you are driving the power amp kinda hard. An fx loop would just insert fx before that driven power amp and it really wouldn't be much different than running fx in front. I.E. You're going to be clipping your fx to some degree.

Think of the Corso as a little tone machine. Meant mainly for recording. Add time-based fx in your DAW and leave that core tone intact. Or try the line out into FX and then into another amp input set real clean (this is what Scott henderson does, right into a hot rod deluxe I think, and it works well) or into another power amp and cab.

wired and Ugly Bunny like this.
  6. Ugly Bunny

See - THAT'S the type of excellent information I was soliciting. Not how much of an idiot I am for asking about an FX loop lol. Thank you so much :)

I blame you, Pete. If you didn't make every damn pedal or amp or guitar you touch sound so damn good, then I wouldn't even have any interest in the thing :) I appreciate your input. I REALLY like the way it sounded. I may end up picking it up after all - Lately I've been getting most of my drive from from pedals anyway. Besides - as you've shown, and as the very pleasant first responder to this thread pointed out, people were using time-based effects before amps had FX loops. Question: when you made the recording, did you run any delay into the amp?

I re-read your post several times, trying to soak it all in; so you're saying that one ideal way to run it - if I INSIST on having time-based FX in any sort of "loop" - would be to use the line out, go into my time-based effects, and then run THAT signal into the power amp (or FX return) of, say, my Mesa/Boogie Mark IV?

It just seems like the only/best way to make the most out of the Corsa would be to use it as a recording amp and, like you said, put delay and reverb etc in the DAW, as well as cab IRs. Only issue is that I really don't record that much :(

Sorry for all the questions; but I have more. So let's say that I can't get too loud in my house/apartment - and the 5W amp I'm already using never really gets to open up - would I be wasting my money on this? I know one of the benefits of these smaller amps is that they can get their full tone without being as loud, but even 5W is ridiculously loud for a bedroom/apartment amp.

Also, for anyone curious, here is Pete's video:

7. Ugly Bunny

I went back and re-read the original 26-page "Suhr Corso 5W Amp" thread. One dude seems to take issue with you at one point regarding delay/FX loop/etc. I think where the confusion is coming from is that you're right; on a single-channel 5w amp where a majority of the tone/chjaracter/overdrive comes from the power section, there would be no point in a loop (as I see now). But I have a Blackstar HT5R that's a two channel amp that does have an FX loop. Through the clean channel (or the clean channel on any amp) the delay/reverb can go in the front. But on the overdrive channel (preamp overdrive) the loop is necessary if you want to not have mush if you plan to have delay and verb. That said, a few stacked ODs in front of delay into the clean amp can sound really good, too. But then I'd be missing that sweet Suhr amp overdrive.

I don't know. I'm still torn. I think I'm gonna grab my dog and some gear and head to the shop and really put it through its paces. I've watched your video about 10 times but I know you're a magician with your post-production stuff. Who knows? Maybe it'll inspire me to record more if I don't have to mic up an amp and I can actually use my favorite ODs and pedals in front of a REAL amp :)

8. stevel

stevel Member

Sorry - was going for "cheeky" rather than condescending (trying to intermingle some sardonic humor in there as well!) but that obviously didn't come across in text - should have gone for some smileys:beer!

And based on what was said above, the line out seems to do what I would assume it does - the full range "unfiltered" sound.

I think what prompted my snarkiness was the what I'd (now hesitantly) call a "typical" TGP phrase: "it was a deal breaker" :) I absolutely understand that becuase I've not purchased items that didn't do what I wanted them to do before too. However coupled with "am I missing something" I thought it was a somewhat comical juxtaposition. Your response was perfectly in kind IMHO :BluesBros. I'm not butthurt, and I hope you aren't either.:console

9. Ugly Bunny

It's all good, man. Yeah, cheeky/friendly-sarcasm is difficult to translate into typing. It's the rare thread (on ANY forum, really) that doesn't have some sort of snarky response (again, it's hard to tell the tone from reading) so I wasn't sure if you were just trollin' me or what lol. Over on Gamefaqs I discovered the "ignore" button and it's saved me SO much grief since the threads read like actual informational/entertainment discussions rather than kids calling each other trolls or fa*s, etc. Long-story-short, no, I'm not butthurt - and that was a ridiculously cute smiley you had at the end there :) I don't think I'd ever seen that!

Anyway, I ended up passing it up. I went to the store today to check it out some more. It sounded real nice and had a lot of usable tones but it just didn't do it for me enough to make me part with that much cash ($650 used). It's still on my list of "maybe in the future" but I already have an amazing Mesa/Boogie Mark IV combo, a Mark V combo, and that Blackstar HT5RS 5W that DOES have an FX loop. I guess I got caught up in my own hype. You know, there's always that small part of you that truly thinks that a new piece of gear will suddenly inspire you or make you a better player. I'm sure it's true sometimes, but I'm sure that's the exception, not the rule, and practice is what's going to get me "there."

Also, it didn't help that there was a young homeless guy in the store in the amp room with me trying to sell me a bottle of whiskey - he said "You wanna buy a $100 bottle of whiskey? I'll sell it for a third of that." I responded that, no, I wasn't interested, and went back to jamming. Between chords he said, "I'm just trying to get something to eat." I felt bad but uh, why do you have a boutique bottle of whiskey but no food? Anyway, I don't wish to get into my thoughts about the homeless in this thread, but it severely distracted me from properly auditioning the amp (first-world problem, I know). The net effect was that I decided I could live without it.