Suhr Corso - Brief Review

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by gtrfinder, Feb 22, 2015.

1. gtrfinder

gtrfinder Supporting Member

Just got this amp last week. Had a day or two to play around with it at the house, and then took it to a church gig tonight. I took it straight in "cold" with no time to dial it in too much.
    Bottom line...this amp does not sound like it is 5 watts. I was amazed at the headroom and volume coming out of this thing. I like to set the amp to break up at full guitar volume, and then work the amp with the guitar's controls from there. In my experience most smaller amps dont perform well in this way, but the Corso worked out great. Takes pedals well also.
    Its not something I'd use live without decent monitoring (I used a Radial JDX to get the sound to FOH), but between the Corso and speaker cab being near enough to me and a good monitor mix I had plenty of guitar for my taste. I wouldn't take it out on a straight up rock gig, or use it with my cover band, but I cant think of a better solution for my church gig.

Anyways, hope you guys find this helpful.
    Have a great day.

2. zenfreud

zenfreud Member

From the clips I've heard the Corso especially excels at a wide range of overdriven textures, seems impressive. It's a handsome piece of gear, too.

Can the Corso also do clean, warm neck pickup chords at quiet levels, say like a Princeton? Or is that really outside of what it's designed to do? Is it solid-state rectified? I owned a Univalve and while it was a well-thought out mini/recording amp, I wanted to be able to dial in a warmer bottom end, maybe with a bit of sag that I associate with a tube-rectified amp.

3. soldierscry

soldierscry Member

Hi Gtrfinder,

I'm glad you are enjoying the amp. It is differently a loud 5 Watter and with the right cab i had no problem with it in a rock setting using a Dr. Z Z-best cab.

zenfreud,
    As for your questions it is a Soild State rectifier, and i was able to get a nice clean, warm neck pickup sound at quiet levels with a Gibson P94 in the neck of my Godin Icon.

4. gtrfinder

gtrfinder Supporting Member

I was pretty surprised at how clean it would stay considering it is such a low powered amp.
    That said, I'm heavy handed, so if I have the guitar volume all the way up I can overload the front end without too much difficulty. If I roll the guitar volume back to about 7 it cleans up just great, and the relative volume stays pretty constant. That's good enough for me.