Suhr Even C Huge

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by FiestaRed, Jun 25, 2005.

1. FiestaRed

FiestaRed Gold Supporting Member

Is this anything like a Les Paul neck? I have an LP Custom that I love and was hoping to find a strat neck carve like it.

-Mark

2. FiestaRed

My LP Custom is a 2004.

-Mark

3. tfire

tfire Member

Ed,

The web site you put together at TM was clearly one of the best of its kind, so I'm hoping that the Suhr web site is on your to-do list now. It would be great to have neck profiles shown, fuller descriptions of pickup types given (with ssound samples), wood combinations described (with sound samples), etc., etc. John has always done a fantastic job of answering questions by e-mail and in several forums, but the same questions do keep coming up, so it would help if all the FAQs were on a revamped Suhr web site. Hopefully, in the long run, that would leave more time for answering the unique questions -- oh, yeah, and building stuff! Perhaps you'd be open to getting some ideas from forum members as to what they'd like to see?

Back on topic, one of my Suhrs has the Even C Huge, and it is all you say it is. I think that the "Huge" label is inaccurate. It's certainly on the XL side, but the first JB Strats were bigger, IIRC, and some Gibson necks are bigger too. Apart from it playing easily, I'm convinced that it's a major contribution to the solid, coherent tone of that particular guitar.

4. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

I concur, I still have the Suhr he did the first huge on, actually extra huge. But my beck Strat's neck is bigger, and has a different shape. The Suhr is more comfy for sure.

5. tfire

tfire Member

Ed,

Do you agree with this too? I think the Beck Strat and the Suhr Huge necks are somewhat similar in front-to-back depth, but the Suhr has less meat on the shoulders and therefore feels more comfortable. That's how it seems to me, but I've not put a depth gauge on it. You might be better placed to do the comparison.

6. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

Also the middle seems a bit rounder...

7. jayn

jayn Member

My recollection of the early Beck necks were that they were quite a bit bigger than the Suhr neck. But, as mentioned, it could be in the shoulders. I find the current Nocaster Time Machine necks to be a little too much, yet I love the old, fat Lentz carve and really the only difference is the shoulders. I had a one-off neck on a 60's Time Machine strat that was basically the same shape as that Suhr neck and it was to die for in terms of comfort. I also got to play Ed's guitar once and it felt dang near perfect.

8. FiestaRed

As a suggestion, here's a sample of what could be done to describe the different neck carves that Suhr offers.

Back Contour Illustrations

-Mark