Suhr Fret Issues

Rafterman

Gold Supporting Member
Just a decent set up by a professional in NYC area is around $180. What country are you living in? Didn't they say you could ship it to another country closer to you that has an authorized dealer? I don't recommend shipping just the neck as some others have suggested. Stacked tolerances and action can be there own issues. Please let us know what the final resolution is. Put up all the pictures you can. Good luck!

sinasl1

This thread is sort of frustratingly bonkers. IMO. Just send John the neck and have him go over it with a fine tooth comb then have a competent tech bolt it back on the guitar and set it up. It’s not rocket science it’s just a bolt on neck guitar. Sorry if I seem harsh but 10 pages? Get it fixed and be done with it, the builder has offered you a solution.

'59_Standard

I have no doubt he will make it perfect.
But how can I be sure the neck will be installed properly here? Besides, the cost of opportunity makes it inneficient.
If that was the case, I would rather sell this one and just buy a new one.

Ergo, the hypothesis: The shipment messed up the guitar.

*The supporting assumption: This guitar is very sensitive to climate fluctuations, and it’s just an isoloated case of a suhr being all messed up, at the borders of the probability distribution.

The logics:

Sending the guitar would cost me $360, economy shipping. This raises the probability of the guitar suffering from weather damage all over again, rendering the whole process useless.

Yeah, but, maybe they're all sensitive to climate fluctuations and you'd never get one thats right. Dude, just give up the guitar, now!

Send the neck back ffs. There isn't a reason -unless you want to invent one which sounds like it- it wont be re-installed properly. Millions of people have taken the neck off their guitars and re-installed it. I'm sure your luthier could do that right, at least...

sw686blue

Silver Supporting Member
What's $360 in the scheme of things if you love the guitar? Also, just remove the neck and ship it. It's so easy. And when it comes back, put it back on. Again, super easy to do.

This is a guitar, not some formula 1 engine.

jelloman

Silver Supporting Member
This thread is sort of frustratingly bonkers. IMO. Just send John the neck and have him go over it with a fine tooth comb then have a competent tech bolt it back on the guitar and set it up. It’s not rocket science it’s just a bolt on neck guitar. Sorry if I seem harsh but 10 pages? Get it fixed and be done with it, the builder has offered you a solution.
Stop talking sense, Pete...:fisticuffs

macmax77

Silver Supporting Member
I have no doubt he will make it perfect.
But how can I be sure the neck will be installed properly here? Besides, the cost of opportunity makes it inneficient.
If that was the case, I would rather sell this one and just buy a new one.

Let me explain.

The premises:
1)The guitar met Suhr QC after leaving the facilities.
2)The guitar arrived at my place all bent and unplayable.
All
3)Other guitars have never come this bad.

Ergo, the hypothesis: The shipment messed up the guitar.

*The supporting assumption: This guitar is very sensitive to climate fluctuations, and it’s just an isoloated case of a suhr being all messed up, at the borders of the probability distribution.

The logics:

Sending the guitar would cost me $360, economy shipping. This raises the probability of the guitar suffering from weather damage all over again, rendering the whole process useless.

What if I sell this guitar?
I would have to sell it at used item price.
Since it just arrived a couple of weeks ago, and I have only played it a few times, no more than half an hour just to test it, I could sell it as almost new.

So Let’s say it would be fair to reduce the price only a little, just from the fact of having been “opened”... say, a fair $360 depreciation for opening the package.

Then I would sell the guitar at $2650-$360=$2290.

If i save up $360, i can make up to $2290+$360=$2650, and just buy a new one that won’t be hyper sensitive to climate fluctuations, will come assembled, and doesn’t involve the risk of spending $360 for a fix that probably won’t last.

Conclusion: both scenarios force me to spend $360 approx, but buying a new one mitigates the probabilities of getting another one that’s messed up.

(Remember that the probability of a wuality product being faulty is already small, so picking a faulty product exactly after picking a faulty product at first is even less likely by orders of magnitude)

so you will sell a guitar that doesn't really work to someone else?

Rafterman

Gold Supporting Member
Sinasl1 OUTSTANDING!!!!!!! I was trying to say that nicely but you spoke it direct. I'll catch you at NAMM at the Suhr area.

trap

Gold Supporting Member
John and the owner should just Skype. John can try to make an assessment that way first. I’d bet that it’s something basic that’s being overlooked.

DigDug78

If I had an issue with a builder with a good rep like Suhr the issue would stay between me and the builder to resolve it; not on some public forum. Guitars change daily. Necks and frets move. So you learn to fix those things yourself.

Raab90

Just a decent set up by a professional in NYC area is around $180. What country are you living in? Didn't they say you could ship it to another country closer to you that has an authorized dealer? I don't recommend shipping just the neck as some others have suggested. Stacked tolerances and action can be there own issues. Please let us know what the final resolution is. Put up all the pictures you can. Good luck!

Of course.
Glad to see an actually smart and polite comment here.

Raab90

First of all, It hasn't been 10 pages of this problem. I hijacked this thread at the end of page 8.
Secondly, I already explained why the offered solution isn't really a good idea. Besides, a neck reassembly can produce complications if not done properly or with materials that are a bit more complicated than what's regularly used and understood. So yes, it's not rocket science, but it's science indeed.
Thirdly, you weren't being harsh at all. You were being irrational and ridiculous. Next time you think about replying to someone, take the time to read what you're replying to and make sure you understand the context, otherwise, you risk not making any sense, because honestly most of what you said, if not all of it, was a load of senseless, useless, and non constructive information.
Lastly, rocket science isn't really hard

What's $360 in the scheme of things if you love the guitar? Also, just remove the neck and ship it. It's so easy. And when it comes back, put it back on. Again, super easy to do.

This is a guitar, not some formula 1 engine.

Read again about those $360, and no, it's not that easy.
Likewise.
Just like my modern physics teachers would say back then when presented with senseless, uninformed and out context data: "this is pure caca"

Yeah, but, maybe they're all sensitive to climate fluctuations and you'd never get one thats right. Dude, just give up the guitar, now!

Send the neck back ffs. There isn't a reason -unless you want to invent one which sounds like it- it wont be re-installed properly. Millions of people have taken the neck off their guitars and re-installed it. I'm sure your luthier could do that right, at least...

Same thing as above. Also, there's a book for you:
"Probability & Statistics for Engineers & Scientists"
Give it a read. Then maybe next time I'll take you seriously

To be honest, TGP is known for comments like this, fanboyism, uninformed talk, rudeness, and generally people talking about things they really don't have a clue about and act dominant about it. So I expected this behavior before coming here, but it got to me, so I will start ignoring and be an asshole about it.

In my ignorance, I just presented a case and gave enough information for the collective experience to help find a solution, but this sort of comments are of no help at all, not to me, nor John Suhr. It puts us both in a less than pleasant situation, whereas we should be convivially working together to solve the problem, and not being nervous or stressed about it. Not only they pointlessly extend the discussion, but they generate a less than pleasant environment for everyone wanting to solve the problem.

I have absolute confidence in John Suhr's products and quality of service. Another user nailed it back then, calling this whole situation "$hit happens". Nobody will put in doubt Suhr's quality of products and service, just because of an Isolated event of purely statistical nature. But these things happen, and I will search for a solution in whatever way or medium I see fit.

Just like I said, I would buy another one of the same model, and I would definitely buy more Suhr products. $hit happens.
And if any of you think you think any of this would tarnish Suhr's reputation, and influence a potential buyer into not getting a Suhr because of it, then that person is stupid, and you should be ashamed of yourselves, because that's the same kind of attitude that promotes non healthy competence and uninformed opinions to go around out of control and create such potential buyers.

Don't waste your time replying to me if you don't have anything constructive to say.

Last edited:

'59_Standard

To be honest, TGP is known for comments like this, fanboyism, uninformed talk, rudeness, and generally people talking about things they really don't have a clue about and act dominant about it. So I expected this behavior before coming here, but it got to me, so I will start ignoring and be an asshole about it.

In my ignorance, I just presented a case and gave enough information for the collective experience to help find a solution, but this sort of comments are of no help at all, not to me, nor John Suhr. It puts us both in a less than pleasant situation, whereas we should be convivially working together to solve the problem, and not being nervous or stressed about it. Not only they pointlessly extend the discussion, but they generate a less than pleasant environment for everyone wanting to solve the problem.

I have absolute confidence in John Suhr's products and quality of service. Another user nailed it back then, calling this whole situation "$hit happens". Nobody will put in doubt Suhr's quality of products and service, just because of an Isolated event of purely statistical nature. But these things happen, and I will search for a solution in whatever way or medium I see fit.

Don't waste your time replying to me if you don't have anything constructive to say.

Well, you said in your ignorance so I'll give you a by on it. I used to work as a service engineer for a company thats sold, globally, guitars with bolt-on necks...

I think the collective here are pondering whats your problem. The CEO of the company has offered to sort your issue out by sending the neck back so he can inspect and correct any issue - we all know he knows he can sort the issue. Only, you seem to be putting all your faith in some "reading of a book" than his own practical experience...

cs@suhr.com

We would love to see this thread take on a more positive direction. What seems to be a clear solution to one person, may not work for someone else. We never really know another person's circumstances. We are talking with the customer via email and have some options on how to help. The bottom line is that we are grateful the issue was brought to our attention, we will continue helping the customer in any way possible, and hopefully, move forward towards a resolution and get back to making some great music and having fun!

sinasl1

First of all, It hasn't been 10 pages of this problem. I hijacked this thread at the end of page 8.
Secondly, I already explained why the offered solution isn't really a good idea. Besides, a neck reassembly can produce complications if not done properly or with materials that are a bit more complicated than what's regularly used and understood. So yes, it's not rocket science, but it's science indeed.
Thirdly, you weren't being harsh at all. You were being irrational and ridiculous. Next time you think about replying to someone, take the time to read what you're replying to and make sure you understand the context, otherwise, you risk not making any sense, because honestly most of what you said, if not all of it, was a load of senseless, useless, and non constructive information.
Lastly, rocket science isn't really hard

Read again about those $360, and no, it's not that easy.
Likewise.
Just like my modern physics teachers would say back then when presented with senseless, uninformed and out context data: "this is pure caca"

Just like I said, I would buy another one of the same model, and I would definitely buy more Suhr products. $hit happens.
And if any of you think you think any of this would tarnish Suhr's reputation, and influence a potential buyer into not getting a Suhr because of it, then that person is stupid, and you should be ashamed of yourselves, because that's the same kind of attitude that promotes non healthy competence and uninformed opinions to go around out of control and create such potential buyers.

Ok

Trending Topics

Top Bottom