Suhr Fret Issues

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Gar O'Brien, Oct 30, 2017.

1. TopDog

TopDog "jumping the valence" Silver Supporting Member

Suhr's customer service is among the best. My experience has been stellar, just saying.

RayRay and snooze like this.
  2. CaliCaveMan

CaliCaveMan Supporting Member

Well, I have not read this whole thread, but for what it's worth, I'll post my experience with a fret issue that some how I caused (**** happens), but Suhr went above and beyond to remedy the problem. This is the resolution message I sent to John here at TGP from last July.

"Hi John, just got my repair back today. Your team did a great job. Don Bonomini did the setup for me and buffed out the ding on the 4th fret I had. He also replaced the nut as he saw it was not done very well. I explained I had a local guitar guy try to lower the action for me as Suhr stock setups are a little high on the action for my taste. That guy tried to lower the nut and kind of messed it up I guess. I know better and never touch that stuff. Anyway, even though somebody else screwed it up, he replaced the nut and did the work for free (due to the length of time it took, even though I said its not a rush) and shipped it overnight for free. The action is really good and it plays great. It was very kind of Don to go the extra mile. Thanks for the great gear and great service you guys provide."

I'm pointing this out as a fanboy (proud of it) and to reinforce how much Suhr cares about it's products and customers. Give the company a chance to fix a problem for you. I have only had positive helpful experiences like this with Suhr.

3. snooze

snooze Member

+1!!!

I’m a fanboy too, an extremely picky guy, and Suhr are the closest to perfection. They are not perfect, because wood is not... but they make sure each guitar feels great and they do all feel great (on a side note: I’ve notices few differences between guitars that I would have expected to be consistant though, so if you guys need something very picky, don’t forget these are not made by a machine!!! They are hand made in USA!! I kind of forgot it myself at some point!).

My repair experience was also awesome, although it changed the neck feel a bit and I’m trying to work this out with Suhr right now, and they are trying their best to make things right. Which I would not expect from another builder. Some may say they are expensive, but to me this level of customer service has a very high value!!

I also understand John @Husky is getting more and more involved into the building/repair. I’ve been following that company for few years now because I truly believe in these folks and the rigorous approach they are taking on top of being nice human being.

My 2 cents!!

RayRay and CaliCaveMan like this.
  4. RayRay

RayRay Silver Supporting Member

Agreed. Paging @big mike

5. big mike

big mike Plexi Loving Admin Staff Member

Unfortunately it’s just opinion it’s not a false account that I can see. Single post and I think enough of you have refuted it.

If there’s a continual pattern we can address it.

Best bet is don’t feed the trolls

FiestaRed, Sociophile and RayRay like this.
  6. RayRay

RayRay Silver Supporting Member

A heck of a player, a heck of a nice guy, and a heck of a voice of logical reason. Trifecta!

7. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Silver Supporting Member

Sadly, it is just probably a drive by with someone with their own agenda. However, this thread has shown what terrific customer service you have for your shop. Kudos John!

RayRay and snooze like this.
  8. MisterBoh

MisterBoh Member

Personally, I think they may be rushing things to get the super long wait list down.

My modern satin, while otherwise pretty great, took nearly half a year longer than expected to get to me and the Floyd nut shelf was super high. Went to my local luthier as shipping it out and waiting another month seemed less appealing than shelling out a bit more.

Their CS is great and I'm sure theyd have fixed it no problem but I just didn't want to add to a very long wait time.

I know it's not a super fancy custom but they are billed as being "just as good."

Suhr obviously prides themselves on their rep for quality but I don't think it's unreasonable to call them on it if they botch things on a 2-3k instrument.

9. RCM78

RCM78 Member

Curious why you had to order a Modern Satin? There are more than a few on Reverb...

10. MisterBoh

MisterBoh Member

There weren't any in the color and config I wanted at the time at anything approaching a reasonable price for used gear. It all worked out in the end though.

11. FiestaRed

FiestaRed Gold Supporting Member

What leads you to believe they are rushing things?

12. MisterBoh

MisterBoh Member

Just seems like an odd oversight for them given the rep for quality control. I thought I saw a post about making an effort to get the wait times down. I get it, sometimes things slip by but that's how it felt, like it was late by six months so it got rushed through.

13. FiestaRed

FiestaRed Gold Supporting Member

This thread is two years old.

And there are two or three examples in this thread of a quality issue, including yours. Two or three items in two years means they're rushing things?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
  14. snooze

snooze Member

At the defense of @MisterBoh, I think when someone pays a lot of money for what is known as one of the best guitar on the market, the expectations are high. But like any high quality brand, there are some rare issues.

And John himself said they tried to improve few things without being specific, I don’t want to talk for himself. But I also had the impression that they had some period where things were not at the quality that John would have liked. Be he is taking care of it and I would not worry a second that they will make things right.

The bottom line for me is Suhr are awesome but sometimes **** happen but don’t worry, they will make things right! A guitar forum is not a customer service support group. Contact Suhr if you have an issue!!

freedom's door likes this.
  15. kevin hart

kevin hart Supporting Member

I've had what I believe is this same issue with a vintage Fender Strat, so I don't think it's just an issue with Suhr guitars. In my case it was solved with replacing the saddle.

16. MisterBoh

MisterBoh Member

That's just how it seemed to me; like they didn't spend enough time checking it over. The other examples don't have too much to do with it other than my saying it is not unreasonable to call out a company for botching an expensive build. Maybe it will help re focus their attention on the quality control.

freedom's door likes this.
  17. frennis

frennis Member

Funny, I don't have any Suhr guitars, but I do have a used Kirn T for years and I was thinking the OP would probably like it the whole time reading this thread. The action was so low when I got it, I needed to raise it because the strings kept slipping out from me when I would bend. Lowest action I've ever seen on a guitar without buzzing or having a super flat radius.
    Kirn really gets the action super low with little buzzing for those that like that kind of thing or don't bend much.

18. big mike

big mike Plexi Loving Admin Staff Member

This just in...
    Shipping, and climate at different locations effects setup, fret sprout, etc etc.