Suhr Fret Issues

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Gar O'Brien, Oct 30, 2017.

1. beorn

beorn Member

2. Gar O'Brien

Gar O'Brien Member

Touché - I meant in my initial interaction with them

3. robertkoa

robertkoa Member

Do you Guys with experience owning find that 5 Piece Laminated Necks
    tend to be more stable ?

4. Panzer917

Panzer917 Member

Irrelevant on whether your condition is RA or ostiio, restricting your range of motion might not be a sound move.
    I have a good amount of experience with RA and wherever a joint doesn't move repeatedly scar tissue will eventually intrude. This will make movement more painful and eventually require surgical intervention.If you have small joint inclusion then this can happen very rapidly. The tendonitis inflammation can exacerbate the situation, but trust me retaining your range of motion is the most important thing you can do. If you ever lose your ROM and need a joint replacement, it will not return post op to any significant margin.

Guitar paying is an excellent low impact exercise since the resistance is gentle and progressive. Best option is to get your Suhr setup to a comfortable low action and then spend your time playing and keeping your hands flexible and strong.

5. Husky

Husky Gold Supporting Member

I'd be nervous that all the glue will deaden the neck. I find when the neck sounds dead to a tap tone which can happen with certain truss rods, the strings wind up sounding dead when brand new. There is really no reason, just use traditional fingerboard and 1 piece and if you want better potential stability use quality roasted (just because it is roasted doesn't mean they will all behave the same, there is a process) This truss rod phenomenon freaked me out in the 80's when I was using a specific dual acting rod from a neck supplier, I quickly switched to vintage construction after I figured it out.

As far as the OP's concerns, send me the neck only if you want and I will personally level the frets or replace them if I feel there is any issue.

6. Husky

You warranty is lifetime on a neck issue.

7. Nitrobattery

Nitrobattery Member

To the OP, do you have other guitars or is the Suhr your only electric?

8. Gar O'Brien

Gar O'Brien Member

That's a heck of a warranty! Thanks John!

9. Gar O'Brien

Gar O'Brien Member

I have an embarassing number of other electrics :) I've 15 others

10. Gar O'Brien

Gar O'Brien Member

I missed the second part - thanks a million John. I'll look into the logistics side of this and I might drop you a PM if that's ok. Seriously, thank you so much for that!

11. Nitrobattery

Nitrobattery Member

Ok cool. John and the guys at Suhr will bend over backwards to take care of you if you send it in, but you may be without it for a while. Just making sure you had other guitars to play.

12. '59_Standard

'59_Standard Member

That, right there, is what you call service.

Mc-K likes this.
  13. snooze

snooze Member

+1, but I would be tempted to add “Amazingly good and rare” in front of “service”! ;)

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
    boyce89976 and man_mars like this.
  14. Teleplayer

Teleplayer Silver Supporting Member

There are many top-flight boutique builders of amps and guitars who offer similarly "Amazingly good and rare" service.

John Hurtt, jackthecat37 and iamdavea like this.
  15. snooze

snooze Member

I’m sure of that, and those needs to be well advertised when it happens. In this world of average customer service, I think we need to highlight the good ones!

16. Teleplayer

Teleplayer Silver Supporting Member

It makes me cringe to look at the Echopark thread and the quarterly IA debacle thread. Highlighting the good ones is important.

Like Gar O'Brien, I had significant pain-in-the-ass issues with a Suhr I had made back in 2005. Neck/fret issues. Spent a ton of time, effort, etc. getting things resolved. John and his guys stepped up to the plate. He treated me with respect as a customer, and took care of business. And while I have since moved on from his products, I will always remember the good CS I received.

17. Rafterman

Rafterman Member

I just have to say..........Where else and what other product in the world can you get the founder and owner of a significant size factory to personally answer you and address your specific concerns? Suhr guitars are incredible......I have 30 and counting. I had one small issue with a new guitar this year and their response to it was absolutely overwhelming.
    I look forward to seeing you guys at NAMM 2018 and thanking you personally.

TommyGuitar likes this.
  18. Husky

Wow 30 ? I’m honored !
    Thank you !

boyce89976 likes this.
  19. Plexico

Plexico Silver Supporting Member

Suhr for the win. Drop mic....

20. weallplaysynth

weallplaysynth Member

To the guys referencing issues with their guitars -- were these purchased new / sight unseen or were they things that popped up after owning? And can you elaborate on what the issues were? I'm looking for a quality Tele and am heavily considering Suhr, but part of that was based on an expectation of rock solid QC.