Suhr Fret Issues

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Gar O'Brien, Oct 30, 2017.

1. AJS

AJS Supporting Member

Based on owning a few Suhr's, I think their QC is second to none, I think that's why they have such a great reputation. Any of the issues that can happen are just issues with electric guitars that are made of wood. Suhr seems like they always try to do the best they can to make their customers happy.

willyboy likes this.
  2. JeKo

JeKo Member

This thread just reminded me that I should talk to them about my buzzing low-E as well. I tried to remedy it by adjusting the neck but couldn't get rif of it. We'll see!

3. weallplaysynth

weallplaysynth Member

That's what I read about the QC which put the brand on my shortlist, but FWIW have not seen nearly as many issues referenced on other upscale (2k+) guitars, outside of the usual Gibson horror stories (and I will never buy a Gibson sight unseen as a result). There could be a lot of explanations for this, but I'm curious as to why it seems Suhr frets are getting more mentions than a brand like PRS, for example. Sample size? Your average Suhr owner runs a much lower action than PRS, etc?

This definitely seems true. Seems like if there's any issue you can get it corrected. At the same time, there's a part of me that hates dropping substantial cash on a guitar and having it not be perfect right out the gate, having to deal with shipping and transit times, etc.

Came buzzing from the factory? Did you have it set up by an established luthier?

4. Bogner

Bogner Member

I have to stick up for Suhr here. I have seen minimal issues of any kind for years from Suhr owners and now a few people say there are fret issues and Suhr now has a quality control problem??? I am not buying it at all. Sorry. People are saying the same about amp companies.....not true. There are a LOT of tube issues and nobody is making a stellar tube right now. All of that being said, no company is perfect and things happen but to have an issue and then follow with the company is having a quality control problem is unfair. Wood shifts and environment and care (or lack thereof) effects things no doubt but that is par for the course.

I have several Suhr guitars, most bought new, and on both the new models and the used models I have purchased I have had zero issues and their quality is impeccable. I feel it is unfair to go after a company with the quality of product in all their offerings that they put out and call a slip in quality control over a coup of issues that come up. Not to mention, the Suhr customer service is outstanding.

5. Bogner

Bogner Member

It must not be too bad of an issue or you would be right on it, right?

6. Bogner

Bogner Member

Buy a Suhr Tele without question or hesitation. I have several Suhr Tele's and they are the best Tele's I own.

7. JeKo

JeKo Member

I've played my other guitars more recently while this one has been collecting dust due to this issue.

8. Bogner

Bogner Member

Exactly

9. Rafterman

Rafterman Supporting Member

Is Suhr going to be at NAMM 2018 on the floor or are they going to be doing something at the factory? Anything special going on Wed night before NAMM opens?

The bear likes this.
  10. mslugano

mslugano Member

Yep! We'll be in Hall D, Booth 4349. See y'all there!

11. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Supporting Member

Frankly, in these types of threads no one needs to "stick up for Suhr"....he has a handle on things, and occasionally the helpful Suhr fan ends up creating a bit of unnecessary drama.

rhinocaster and trap like this.
  12. Husky

Husky Member

We will be at NAMM in full force.

Guitarwiz007, atquinn and Rafterman like this.
  13. Bobby Smith

Bobby Smith Member

Can you explain how you measured or came to the conclusion of "uneven frets" ? Also 2/64's or really 1/32" action is really low. Typically you want the neck almost straight with a touch of relief and measure 1/16" from the top of the 21st fret to the bottom of the string using a machinist ruler. This is pretty standard industry spec and fairly low action. anything lower you will notice string rattle or buzz. Not to be confused with fretting out. Anyway, can you demonstrate how you found uneven frets?

14. Bogner

Bogner Member

Agree to disagree I guess. The drama goes both ways don't you think? America is a wonderful place isn't it? Thanks for chiming in and "furthering the drama" so to speak....lol.

15. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Supporting Member

Why am I not stunned you responded to this?

16. Bogner

Bogner Member

Probably for the same reason I am not surprised you felt you had to chime in as you did initially. It's clear you have a beef with me for whatever reason. Take it to PM and hash it out or relax but don't come at me and be surprised when I return the favor. Fair?

17. JeKo

JeKo Member

I'm interested as well. My custom Modern (got it in June 2017) is having the same issue. Suhr customer support wasn't able to help me so any ideas are welcome! There aren't any decent local techs/luthiers so I try to figure this out on my own before deciding to ship the guitar somewhere for a fret dress.

18. miks

miks Member

Ive had quite a few Suhrs go through me this year and I must say, this year has been a stellar year for everything Ive received from them. They nailed the art of building great guitars this year more so than any other previous year... and the electronics! The SL67 and Bella are such great amps. I don't know what they're doing over there but whatever it is... I'm really happy about it.

ethereal cereal likes this.
  19. Mr Fingers

Mr Fingers Member

The OP referenced uneven frets, not just issues with action and setup. A decent guitar doesn't have uneven frets. If this one really does, then my guess is that something is a bit off in the build that when PLEK'd, led to a few of the frets getting ground down more than others. That wouldn't look right to me either, and it obviously shouldn't be that way. How much it bugs you is your decision to own. I wouldn't like it. I sometimes wonder if a guitar that is PLEK'd to a certain spec becomes harder to dial in for a player who wants a different setup. The setup you want to use is not the one that Suhr PLEK'd into the guitar. It's too bad it wasn't PLEK'd to the setup you like -- which is an extreme one -- rather than the Suhr standard.

20. trap

trap Supporting Member

Lesson here? Shite happens, it’s how you deal with it that matters.

jiml likes this.