Suhr Guitar Feedback

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Dave Miley, May 21, 2008.

1. Dave Miley

Dave Miley Member

I am seriously considering getting a John Suhr guitar. I would like to hear from any Suhr guitars owners about these guitars. Good or Bad.

2. googoobaby

googoobaby Member

I love my Classic with SSC. Support, to the degree that I've needed it, has been excellent as well.

3. G&L Player

G&L Player Member

For me personally, outstanding. For years I played Fenders, or parts-o-caster, as well as G&Ls. Finally got a Suhr, after hearing many excellent things about them, and finally understood what all the talk was about. Excellently built guitars, sound fantastic, great customer srevice. I've sold just about every other guitar I own, except for a K-Line Tele, and am looking for another Suhr. I'm sold on them.

4. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

I've sold every guitar I had in order to switch to Suhr. Because you can custom spec every guitar, it is almost impossible to get a "bad" one. Maybe you can start with a "pro" series and play it for a few months to get their vibe. If you like it, you can keep it and use it as a reference point to order a custom spec. If you don't like it, you can sell it for a small loss.

5. JDouglee

JDouglee Member

Clear sounds, & tons of options so you can dial in exactly what you need. Good folks to deal with as well. If your guitar involves single coils, get the SSC, you won't regret it.

6. Ed-Venture

Ed-Venture Member

Absolutely awesome guitars. Playability is outstanding...Fretwork has impeccable attention to detail, unmatched by guitars twice the price.

Customer service is superior!

I've paid as much as $6000 for a strat type guitar. I sold it and purchased this Suhr Classic, and couldn't be happier.

Sound: No doubt the best sounding strat I'ved owned, for less than half the price!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. MartinC

MartinC Member

I've got a Suhr Classic ... built to order. It's outstanding in the following areas:
    • Build quality
    • Tone (mine's HSS with vintage output pickups)
    • Playability (get the stainless steel frets ... really smooth and easy to play)
    • Looks
    I'd agree with JDouglee ... if you are going for single coils, get the SSC system fitted. Zero hum and true single coil tone!

If you know what you want then the range of options should get you there with a custom order. Otherwise try a few out. I've never heard anyone talk about a bad Suhr.

I did have one niggle ... the truss rod is accessed at the body end of the neck. You can see the small semi-circular hole in the pics above in Ed-Venture's post. The guitar comes with a hexagonal alun key that has been bent at one end to about 45 degrees from straight with about half an inch one side of the bend and 5 inches on the other. The idea is that the short end hooks into the truss rod through the hole at the end of the fretboard, without needing to remove strings or neck. The alun key provided with my guitar would not fit into the truss rod end. I had to have a guitar tech remove the neck to check things out and make the adjustment I was trying to make with the key provided. Anyway, there was nothing wrong with the truss rod end ... just the alun key that was bad. Suhr sent 3 alternative keys, plus a spare end for the truss rod just in case. None of the alternative keys fitted either, so the guitar tech made one that did. So I got there in the end ... didn't cost me anything, but did take 3-4 months to get a resolution (I'm in Australia though!). And there wasn't anything wrong with the guitar ... but I do think the design of the truss rod access falls a little short when it comes to making adjustments because the bent alun keys seem to get out of shape in the bending process. It certainly wouldn't put me off buying another one though ... and since making the original adjustment 8 months ago, the neck has not moved at all.

8. Zuper

Zuper Supporting Member

Absolutely FANTASTIC guitars, in every way. Lots of builders making great guitars these days, but Suhr does it for me.

9. duffyguitarman

duffyguitarman Member

Absolutely awesome instruments in every way. Recently got my first one, a Drip Standard, and am looking to get another soon. You won't be sorry.

Peace,
    Duffy

10. lannyhall

lannyhall Member

I don't think you will find many complaining about Suhr guitars. I have had my Standard (SN 426) for several years now. I expect to have it for many more. I did recently add the BPSSC for single-coil sweetness in all five positions with no hum.

11. Ooogie

Ooogie Member

I took the plunge on a Pro Series S3 w/BPSSC a short time ago and absolutely love the Suhr, should have done it much sooner. The neck is so smooth and easy to play it's an absolute joy. My 70s Fender Strat and Tele are now in their cases under my bed and I doubt they will see much light for awhile...unless I decide to sell them off and get another Suhr :cool:

-Mark

12. Pa'ani

Pa'ani Supporting Member

Suhr guitars are incredible and fabulous instruments, tons of variations as far as woods and other options.
    John, Steve, Ed and the rest of the Suhr Crew are just awesome and the best customer support period!
    Highly Recommended!

13. polaris

polaris Member

Great guitars! In all ways!

14. DejavuDave

DejavuDave Member

Outstanding guitars. Great variety of options, woods, neck profiles, electronics, etc, top notch build and attention to detail, beautiful factory set ups. Suhr guitars are among the best. I've never picked up a mediocre one. All my bolt-ons are Suhr; I own three. The first I played at a dealer. I'd been looking for months for a great tele, picked up that Suhr Classic T, went home haunted by it, went back the next day to claim it for myself. I was so blown away by the T I didn't hesitate to order two custom Classics.

If you go all single coil --- get the built-in SSC. It's worth every penny.

15. Redbell

Redbell Member

Best guitar I've ever owned, get one!

16. nsriley

nsriley Member

I sold a few guitars to buy a pro series S1 and S5 model. Both fantastic guitars. Playability is superior, tone is awesome. I highly recommend them.

17. Ed-Venture

Ed-Venture Member

You'll be glad you did!

18. oscar100

oscar100 Member

all are excellent due to quality control - some are magic becos of teh right pieces of wood

have never been unimpressed by one and have been thru 6 or 7 to find 2 magic ones ( and thats only cos i had to buy unseen

i think they are a safe bet and if youcan try before you buy then youll know when uve found a good one
    ;)

19. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

I have a Suhr Custom Classic. It's great as is, and I've a pair of Fletcher/Landau pickups on order (cannot wait!!!). That said, the V60LPs that are in it now are really great pups - after goofing around with their height in the pickguard, I may have found the correct balance. Alas, the F/L's have already been ordered, and I LOVED the sound of them in another Suhr.

I've been watching John Suhr's career, since his Fender Custom Shop days when he rewound pickups for me. In my Suhr Strat I think I've finally found a Strat that I like enough to leave my beloved and greatly-gigged 1961 Fender Stratocaster home. That I believe, speaks volumes....

Peace,

jb

20. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

I don't like his humbuckers much but everything else he makes is excellent ,wonderful attention to detail and very reasonably priced considering what your getting.