Suhr guitar issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazymauler

Gold Supporting Member
I love how this thread has turned into a helpful discussion about pots and quality as I'm embarking on another "quarantine build" and this info is useful. Pretty much every post @Husky makes ends up being helpful and useful, even in threads like these, and I just love that.
Also, I've owned one Suhr (Classic Pro HSS) and it's the best playing and sounding guitar I think I've ever played. And the Reactive Load IR is probably the best piece of equipment I've ever purchased ever... I could go on, yes I'm a fan :)

original6dan

Silver Supporting Member
One of the big takeaways from this thread for me, is the fact that there are some people with a bunch of disposable income.
I have loads of income, but it's mostly going directly into fattening up my retirement accounts. When the house is paid off, I'm most definitely upgrading my music game. I seem to be going for quantity now at the expense of quality and I certainly need to reverse that trend!

macmax77

Silver Supporting Member
I love how this thread has turned into a helpful discussion about pots and quality as I'm embarking on another "quarantine build" and this info is useful. Pretty much every post @Husky makes ends up being helpful and useful, even in threads like these, and I just love that.
Also, I've owned one Suhr (Classic Pro HSS) and it's the best playing and sounding guitar I think I've ever played. And the Reactive Load IR is probably the best piece of equipment I've ever purchased ever... I could go on, yes I'm a fan :)

I will never trade my volume pot for a Suhr Guitar, I dare @Husky to challenge me! Be a gent and take it!:D:D:p:p

disconnector

It's been swell, but the swelling's gone down.
Gold Supporting Member
I’m the *third* owner of a Suhr Modern which I love - except that somewhere in its life someone had dropped it on its fretboard and nicked a bunch of frets. It sounded amazing but the little catch in bends was annoying.

I posted here to ask for opinions on how to sort it out and John himself took the time *on a Saturday* to both email and PM me instructions on how to fix it. He also offered to send me materials if needed and record a video of the procedure. He also offered to have Suhr fix it if I wasn’t comfortable doing it myself. I followed his instructions and it came out perfectly.

Not only are his guitars the best in the business his personal commitment to his instruments stands alone in my experience.

The guitar is *amazing* as well!!

@Husky is the man . . . and I'd trust Suhr quality.

Last edited:

musicman1

After the repeated garbage talk people like john suhr take from this place i have to give him props for chiming in and showing a positive interest in his customers issues. Id gladly invest in one his gtrs or amps w/o concern regarding customer service or product qa. When was the last time Sterling Ball or Hartley Peavey or PRS or whoever the CEO of fender is showed up in here? And im not discounting ron thorn but he doesnt call the shots at fmi. Tgp is a small tiny percentage of the musical industry buyers but yet it acts like the driving force behind it. Someone like john suhr should never have to explain why pots fail and then take crap here for it.

Last edited:

griggsterr

Gold Supporting Member
Count me as a fanboy for Suhr. But they earned it, so I see nothing wrong voicing my support. My experience with John and the company has been great, as well as the dealer I used for my 5 custom guitars (Eddie Berman at Indoor Storm, now SoundPure).

When you have had stellar interactions with Suhr customer service, it makes you question a first poster having such a vastly different experience. Not saying it didn't happen, but if legitimate, John will make it right. Two of my guitars are 15 years old now, have been gigged heavily in salt air/sweaty environments (there was a time no too long ago when we used to play live music!). My very recent dealing with Suhr CS on fret maintenance was prompt and extremely helpful.

Not enough pictures in this thread.

So you have a good day job too. LOLOL BTW If you take away those silly double cutaway guitars you would be on to something :)

jsboswell

Silver Supporting Member
but it's ok to basically do the opposite (i.e. find fault in someone that faults a brand based on their own firsthand experience)?

because that happens just as much, if not more on here, than what you are saying.
No, I didn't say that either. I'm aware that happens and I don't condone the behavior. That said, what's the worst that happens in such a case? Someone's pride gets a little chafed. In examples like the one I'm talking about, the integrity of a business and everyone affiliated with it gets disparaged. As others have mentioned, no company will every produce products that are 100% perfect. . The case of Suhr, we have an owner who takes pride in his product, engages with consumers with forum, provides excellent counsel at no cost, and stands behind his wares. There must be literally tens of thousands of Suhr products out there serving their owners well. A few quality issues that slip through the inevitable cracks shouldn't result in an excellent company or individual being dragged through the mud.

I practice anesthesia, so much of what I do is based on evidentiary basis. Good studies have to be well-weighted to have any validity. In this case, we have an "n" in the single digits with a "d" in the tens of thousands (if not more). NO PRUDENT INDIVIDUAL would draw any conclusions based on those numbers.

Does that mean I don't sympathize with the OP? Absolutely not. I certainly do. But I do take issue with his/her post title and its implications, coupled with the ripple effect it has caused.

ufguy73

Silver Supporting Member
No, I didn't say that either. I'm aware that happens and I don't condone the behavior. That said, what's the worst that happens in such a case? Someone's pride gets a little chafed. In examples like the one I'm talking about, the integrity of a business and everyone affiliated with it gets disparaged. As others have mentioned, no company will every produce products that are 100% perfect. . The case of Suhr, we have an owner who takes pride in his product, engages with consumers with forum, provides excellent counsel at no cost, and stands behind his wares. There must be literally tens of thousands of Suhr products out there serving their owners well. A few quality issues that slip through the inevitable cracks shouldn't result in an excellent company or individual being dragged through the mud.

I practice anesthesia, so much of what I do is based on evidentiary basis. Good studies have to be well-weighted to have any validity. In this case, we have an "n" in the single digits with a "d" in the tens of thousands (if not more). NO PRUDENT INDIVIDUAL would draw any conclusions based on those numbers.

Does that mean I don't sympathize with the OP? Absolutely not. I certainly do. But I do take issue with his/her post title and its implications, coupled with the ripple effect it has caused.
not necessarily...the worst thing that happens is group think starts to permeate the tone and direction of threads and you start to only hear about things that positively reinforce the ‘accepted’ paradigm.

i am not making that dynamic up - i (and am sure others here, as well) have had many, many private conversations that had to do with negative experiences of various makers. private because individuals just didnt want to go through the hassle of having to defend their own experience(s).

so, the worst thing to me is the risk that the forum isn’t as useful a mechanism to find out about different products/companies in an insightful and honest way.

lifeson1

Silver Supporting Member
After the repeated garbage talk people like john suhr take from this place i have to give him props for chiming in and showing a positive interest in his customers issues. Id gladly invest in one his gtrs or amps w/o concern regarding customer service or product qa. When was the last time Sterling Ball or Hartley Peavey or PRS or whoever the CEO of fender is showed up in here? And im not discounting ron thorn but he doesnt call the shots at fmi. Tgp is a small tiny percentage of the musical industry buyers but yet it acts like the driving force behind it. Someone like john suhr should never have to explain why pots fail and then take crap here for it.
well, I’m a proud music man owner (as well?), and as much as I adore their customer service, you won’t see Sterling hang out on THIS board... and I certainly wouldn’t compare him with John Suhr in regards to ‘personal treatment’. In fact, he won’t entertain many personal messages.

I don’t own a Suhr, but never say never. I have wondered why there are a spattering of complaint threads popping up, and I don’t want to light up any conspiracy theory. But you don’t last as an ‘OG’ boutique builder hitting the mainstream by not being able to roll with the punches and making positive moves with your business model.

I’d put my money on John any day.

gtr777

Silver Supporting Member
Nothing but good things to say about Suhr. John is always helpful on posts and when I had an issue with my Reactive Load, they fixed it at no charge and had it back to me quickly...no complaints here!

jsboswell

Silver Supporting Member
not necessarily...the worst thing that happens is group think starts to permeate the tone and direction of threads and you start to only hear about things that positively reinforce the ‘accepted’ paradigm.

i am not making that dynamic up - i (and am sure others here, as well) have had many, many private conversations that had to do with negative experiences of various makers. private because individuals just didnt want to go through the hassle of having to defend their own experience(s).

so, the worst thing to me is the risk that the forum isn’t as useful a mechanism to find out about different products/companies in an insightful and honest way.
Again, I aware of and don't condone the phenomenon. I have personally experienced this, having ordered a T-style from a builder who's an absolute TGP darling for this type of guitar. Simply put, it was the worst guitar I've owned in 4+ decades. And yet, his accolades continue. I'm simply saying that - in this particular case - the overwhelming preponderance of positive Suhr experiences shouldn't be disproportionately outweighed by a comparatively small number of negative experiences, and I think they are with thread titles and content like this one.

Doug's Tubes

Platinum Supporting Member
Sorry, I don't own more than one of anything that I have or have had a problem with so I cannot relate.

To Suhr, with love.

HipUncle

Again, I aware of and don't condone the phenomenon. I have personally experienced this, having ordered a T-style from a builder who's an absolute TGP darling for this type of guitar. Simply put, it was the worst guitar I've owned in 4+ decades. And yet, his accolades continue. I'm simply saying that - in this particular case - the overwhelming preponderance of positive Suhr experiences shouldn't be disproportionately outweighed by a comparatively small number of negative experiences, and I think they are with thread titles and content like this one.
I'm not disagreeing with you, but regarding the OP and thread title, I would suggest having a little more empathy for someone who is no doubt quite frustrated with the situation and who has apparently already tried other remedies and not gotten any success. Such a person is not in a state where they can calmly sit down at the keyboard and create a post that has everyone's best interests at heart. They are venting...it's only natural.

jsboswell

Silver Supporting Member
I'm not disagreeing with you, but regarding the OP and thread title, I would suggest having a little more empathy for someone who is no doubt quite frustrated with the situation and who has apparently already tried other remedies and not gotten any success. Such a person is not in a state where they can calmly sit down at the keyboard and create a post that has everyone's best interests at heart. They are venting...it's only natural.
I do have empathy for him/her, and I've said that repeatedly. Having said that, the OP has not been HARMED by a guitar that isn't to spec. A business and its reputation can be.

In addition to custom guitars, I am also a devotee of custom 1911 .45 ACP pistols. Here's a quote from one of my favorite gunsmith's website (paraphrased)

"I know it's all the rage nowadays to vent one's dissatisfaction with a product on public forum sites. If you are in any way unhappy with one if my products, please let me know asap and I will make it right. If - however - you choose to vent your dissatisfaction on one if the many public forum sites available, then enjoy your 15 minutes if fame and understand that we will NEVER do business together again."

I salute that company for its stance on public forum posting. Are there companies out there that are fleecing customers with crap product? They're certainly out there, and we should all know who they are. Suhr doesn't belong in that category, yet this thread makes it seem that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Topics