Suhr Guitars... Neck Profiles, Tones and Construction.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Adamclayton, Jun 2, 2015.

1. Adamclayton

Adamclayton Member

So I've been really wanting to play some Suhr guitars, but there are no dealers around in the area. Closest is Willcutt Guitars and thats 4 hours away in Lexington, KY. I've been debating to make that drive for awhile now but just haven't had the time. I live th idea of Suhr's cause them seem easy to play and have good articualtion and clarity with good amounts of gain. My questions are pretty simply... From the owners and past owners... Please tell me about some Suhr's.
    Are Suhr's construction pretty consistent?

There are SO many models.. Which model and pickups would be the best "all around" for several different tones from classic rock, blues, hard rock & metal?

Neck shapes: What is the modern elliptical .800 to .850 neck carve similar to compared to other guitars? I have a PRS 25th Anni Custom 24 with a Wide-Thin neck and it plays like a dream but my hand cramps after 5 minutes of shred from the neck not being big enough. I really like the Suhr Moderns but seems most them have the same neck shape of .800 to .850.

**How close are Suhr elliptical .800-.850 necks compared to a PRS 2010 Wide-Thin neck?

I'm looking for just an all around great playing and sounding guitar that has "Les Paul" similar woods and a neck thats no smaller than the 60's slim. Just last week I sold my beloved 2013 Les Paul 59' Reissue cause it just got boring for me to play but liked the tones, so I'm trying to replace that guitar with something thats easy to play will good hard rock, blues and metal tones. This post is long and all over the place but have to see what others think about Suhr guitars for all styles.

Yes, I have emailed Suhr to get some info but also wanted to hear from the owners themselves. Thank you.

2. M40A1

M40A1 Member

My suggestion is to make that 4 hour drive.

ZeyerGTR likes this.
  3. Schweezly

Schweezly Member

+1

The modern satin, because of mahogany, might be the closest to an LP. The elliptical neck isn't that much of like it...more D like with a flatter back. A great profile though.

The Modern will be a "better" all around guitar if you want to play metal as one of the options. Especially in the HSH config. I personally like the HH because of picking habits.

A used modern satin can be had around $1500-$1700. Pretty good deal, and if you find a used one you wouldn't lose much if you turned around and sold it

4. Adamclayton

Adamclayton Member

That's what I was hoping to hear about the elliptical neck.... But ultimately won't know until in my hands. There can't be too much space in the palm of my hand cause it'll cramp when playing a gig.

I have a pretty good budget so I was wanting to buy new so I could have the warrenty. Anyway I know these posts can be pretty pointless when your trying to figure out what gears best without playing for myself.

Guess I'll make that 4 hour drive soon.

5. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Suhr has something for just about everyone. My tastes run more in the Classic Rock vein, I've owned several Suhr guitars and this one is my favorite. Even C slim neck profile with jumbo SS frets and 10-14" compound radius. Electronics-wise it's basically a Super Strat, but in a Telecaster body, hence the Suhr nomenclature "Classic TS". Sooooo comfortable to play. And sounds soooooo good!

[​IMG]

Based on my experience, it's really best to try a few and see what floats yer boat. Everyone's anatomy and playing style is a little different.

6. daacrusher2001

daacrusher2001 Silver Supporting Member

I'd make the drive to Willcutt. Could be a fun day!

Honestly, I finally did something like that and tried out about 15 guitars including Suhr, Anderson, K-Line, LSL.

Ended up with a Suhr Classic Pro T. It has the Even C Medium neck profile, Rolled edges, and a 9-12” compound fingerboard radius. The place I visited had several other profiles. The one Suhr I almost bought was a Custom with the same neck profile but it had a roasted maple neck. In the end, I wasn't willing to spend the extra money for it. It was a nice neck tho'.

7. itstooloudMike

itstooloudMike Member

My first Suhr was a Pro-Series S3, with "even-C slim" neck (rosewood board) and SSH pickups. Great guitar, but not perfect for me. I let that one go, and got a Classic-S with "even-C medium" solid maple neck and SSS pickups. I have no intention of letting this one go. It's perfect. I've played Strats for over 40 years, and have owned every level Fender makes, including Custom Shop. I have never been completely satisfied until my Suhr Classic-S. It's the ultimate combination of vintage tones and modern "improvements". I love the compound radius fretboard. Suhr fretwork is the best there is. And the tuning stability of the two-point trem and staggered-height tuners is wonderful. I float the trem, and have it set up with .010s. It plays extraordinarily well, is very "slinky", and I never have to worry about staying in tune. I can't recommend Suhr guitars highly enough. They are worth every dime, and just awesome. And Suhr customer service is beyond comparison. They will never let you down. I stopped buying PRS guitars when I found Suhr. Top notch company, excellent products, competitive pricing (compared to FCS or PRS).

patriot7 likes this.
  8. M40A1

M40A1 Member

Great call! You just never know until you feel them for yourself and, who knows, maybe a different profile or even guitar may "speak" to you. Besides, your state is beautiful horse country and that's a good enough reason to get out for the day!

9. dead of night

dead of night Member

Isn't it weird that with all of the pickups Suhr has made, there has been only one Classic T pickup.

10. guitarlifestyle

guitarlifestyle I like guitars. Silver Supporting Member

I've only played a handful of Suhrs, but every one I've played has been great. I would say the elliptical necks might be a little small if the PRS wide-thin is small for you. I've owned a PRS with a wide-thin neck, and I would say my Suhr with an even C medium (.830-.930) is similar in size if not slightly larger.

11. Phade

Phade Member

I like the 16" radius on the Modern, Guthrie Govan .800-.850. Leads just fly off the fretboard and you can get a really wide vibrato along with the jumbo frets.

12. PBGas

PBGas Supporting Member

They are beautiful guitars. I found one of my dealers who had a used one and a new one in stock. I tried them and they were very nice.

13. JerEvil

JerEvil Supporting Member

Nice! Suhr is on my radar right now as I am looking for something different than my LP's, Flying V's and metal guitars. I have never owned a tele type but the Classic T with neck hum bucker looks fantastic and the prices are reasonable.

14. xzacx

xzacx Member

I'll co-sign those saying to try them out.

People rave about Suhrs, and I was lured in by the hype. I've had three, and for me personally, each one had some fatal flaw. One sounded pretty good, played great, but I hated how it looked. Another looked phenomenal, played OK, and sounded like crap. And the last sounded amazing, looked decent, and played terrible. I've learned that they probably aren't for me, and I doubt I'd get another, but an awful lot of people love them.

Misterbulbous likes this.
  15. boyce89976

boyce89976 Supporting Member

Vintage King in Nashville has several in stock right now.

16. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

I owned 16 Suhr's and only one was not spectacular but still a great guitar. Financial issues caused me to sell all but two. But I still dream of getting a couple more. I would like a Modern and a EJ inspired Classic. I love the way the T's sound but don't care for the T shape...

17. cosmic_ape

cosmic_ape Supporting Member

Go try them! Also, that neck is gonna be too small...

18. Adamclayton

Adamclayton Member

Oh cool I didn't know they were in Nashville. One of the guys from Suhr has helped me locate a dealer out of Memphis called Martin Music that has 47 Suhrs IN stock! I'll be going there real soon. Thanks to all for the info and feedback.

19. LReese

LReese Member

My first Suhr is the one that haunts me - Bought it in the emporium several years ago.

Fought with the bridge humbucker it came with and finally gave in to having it altered to single coil bridge and the newer 510 bridge installed.

It was a nice guitar before, but lets just say its one of those that you know is right when you pick it up. The kind of unique thing (At least to me) about it is the 830-950 C neck and 16" radius.

20. C-4

C-4 Member

Here for now, Europe when I die. Am I dead yet?
    A 4 hour drive is nothing when you are talking about having a guitar of that quality. I've owned andersons, Suhr's, and other us built higher end guitars. The Suhrs are the most consistant one-to-the-next and they all have their own sound.

You need to have some idea of what sound you want and the type of neck, et. al. you want. Sometimes, if that is not possible, you just need to start playing some of them until you find something that gets you thinking.

I've mae trips longer then 4 hours to guitar stores in other states when I was buying high-end guitars. Bring some friends and have fun.