Suhr Handwired Amps

Earplayer

who has one... wants one... ?

i am very interestend in the 100w spl 68 - how is the master working, are there custom options available (like a line out for a wet/dry rig)...

couldn´t finde a dealer in europe that has one or a price info...

anyway i am su(h)re that the amps will rock - like all other suhr products.

:munch:rockin

windjamma

Peach guitars in the uk had a suhr sl handwired last time i looked on their site.

looks like a fab amp for sure.

pinner

who has one... wants one... ?

i am very interestend in the 100w spl 68 - how is the master working, are there custom options available (like a line out for a wet/dry rig)...

couldn´t finde a dealer in europe that has one or a price info...

anyway i am su(h)re that the amps will rock - like all other suhr products.

:munch:rockin

I tried the sl 68 at the NY amp show. It was great!!!!!!!! I am a D-style amp guy first, but I love all tones and I want to eventually get a Marshall type amp. I was real interested in the 68 but being a non-mv 100 watts is a little tough......until they put the master volume in it. It worked great, and you have the Suhr quality too. Def worth a try!!!!

I did a demo with an artist I can't mention ( seriously/ contract)- I will just say that he had one and it was incredible!!

If you want an incredible sounding vintage plexi with a few 'tricks' save your cash. Suhr's stuff doesn't break and I try and try.

(OK- I did blow a tube on a session which was EMBARRASSING 2 years ago - but that's it)

Earplayer

i had a badger 18 and a badger 30 - these are def. two amps i really miss...!!!! the suhr amps are top-notch. but i am more the 100w marshall guy...

my no1 amp is my 71 superlead which is the best amp i ever had. along with my faustine phantom and the two 4x12 basketweave cabs with g12m pre rolas it is BY FAR my favourite rig especially for classic rock stuff but i need something for all purposes.

so i am going to sell my 50w replica with nos mustards, etc. for a 100w amp with some neat features i can gig with... that has some serious balls. so at the moment i am looking at the yjm, a suhr 100w handwired or a steve stevens sig. from friedman... the amp should have some organic tones - i hate the "polished" plexi tones that are nothing like a marshall... for example the od100 series clean tones are really cool - but i don´t like the overdriven or distorted tones - they are way too flat/polished sounding to me.

Laplacian

Have an SL68 and have a late '67- early '68 Superlead that is also the single best amp I have ever played, a true "Magic Plexi". The Suhr is 99% there, not 95%, closer to 99%. Seriously, built like a tank, and NEW.

Hi/Lo power is a nice feature, and it has a master volume on back (Which works, but sounds best fully cranked).

It's basically a new, Great, 4-hole Superlead, and you have to use it as such. Highly Recommend.

Earplayer

really cool! thanks.

is the master really good working for small gigs (club) and moderate/quiet rehersal levels too??!!

Earplayer

hey man thanks - helps a lot.

to be honest pete thorn knows how to record and as an endorser his clips are always fine but i want a more objective opinion if that makes sense...

i think when the master works really that good... with a suhr iso line for verb and delay it might be a really cool modern alternative! but i guess the prices overe here in europe will be ccrraaazzyy..... :bonk

Earplayer

ok i´ve googled around - and it seems that the price for a sl68 in europe is about EUR 4000 ?!?! (approx. 5000 USD) which exceeded my expectations even......... wah... crazy. :barf

Schafrocks

Yeah man, Pete's pretty honest about his opinions, so I wouldn't worry too much about that. And if there is something he doesn't like, he quantifies it with a reason. But I think Pete was around when Suhr started that project and was involved somewhat. So I could see where he is realy bought in. It was tweaked to his liking.

But then again, Pete can make just about anything sound fantastic!

B Vance

ok i´ve googled around - and it seems that the price for a sl68 in europe is about EUR 4000 ?!?! (approx. 5000 USD) which exceeded my expectations even......... wah... crazy. :barf

Have you thought about a Hook or Mad Professor amp? Both Eurpoean so you may get the price benefit of not importing.

Laplacian

They aren't $4K. That's just what shops that have them are selling them for. Pretty solid mark-up I'd say.

Buy Direct.

Earplayer

buying direct from suhr is not possible...

well i have spent some serious money for gear in the past - 3000 for an amp is the limit for me and to me personally everything above isn´t worth it... this is way too much money for a (very good) plexi clone... imho.
i would buy it for probably 2000-2500 euros max. but def. not at this pricepoint.......

b vance
i´ve played hook amps - nice but nowhere near in tone imho...... to me (personally!) a mad professor is the perfect example of an overpriced and overrated boutique amp... :hide2

gladius amps are really nice too - but when it comes to a REALLY good super lead amp there are not a lot of builders in europe actually worldwide i want to buy from...

B Vance

b vance
i´ve played hook amps - nice but nowhere near in tone imho...... to me (personally!) a mad professor is the perfect example of an overpriced and overrated boutique amp... :hide2

No offense taken at all. Just trying to make a few recommendations for Euro-based companies. I don't have a dog in the fight and frankly, I'd like to own one of each. :aok

All the best in your search. It's my only baseline, but the Pete Thorn demo of the 68 is pretty cool.

De Lane Lea

Earplayer said:

Thats what I was qouted aswell, from what I've heard it's a great amp but I just can't justify that price.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom