Suhr Jack Rabbit Trem tap usable live?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by betteriz1day, May 7, 2016.

1. betteriz1day

betteriz1day Supporting Member

Maybe "usable " isn't the right term. What I'm wondering is, how quick can you tap a tempo in, specifically during a. 3-5 second break between songs. I've heard good things about the tone and the pedal in general, but after reading the manual, it doesn't seem very practical for my "quick tap tempo" needs.

I'm using a Diamond Trem now, which I really like, but I could use the board space if this could be a viable option.

In short, anyone get one thinking they could use the tap function live, then ditch it because the tap or strum tap function was too cumbersome?

2. Meriphew

Meriphew Member

I don't remember exactly how the Suhr tap tempo is supposed to function, but I remember when I looked into getting a Jackrabbit the first thing I thought was "The tap tempo looks like a PITA to use."

3. Husky

Husky Gold Supporting Member

It is really extremely simple and easy, don't confuse the way to switch it to choose between tap or strum with the simple use of the Tap.
    Plus if you have a pedal looper you can just leave it in Tap
    Or you can move it out of your way and use a break out to 2 buttons in a small box.

Last edited: May 9, 2016
  4. Meriphew

Meriphew Member

Thx for the clarification.

5. betteriz1day

betteriz1day Supporting Member

That video makes it look much easier than it sounds like in the manual. Just trying to get a sense from live users if they eventually found it to be an issue or not. I think losing the option of doubling the tempo will keep the Diamond on board anyway, but it is tempting.

6. Husky

Husky Gold Supporting Member

Remember if it helps you can also do a small box with the 2 buttons on it and connect to the control jack as well.
    quarter note, eighth note, and quarter note triplet subdivisions are available on the 3 way switch.
    Thanks

7. GUAL

GUAL Member

I have both - for your quick tap tempo needs i would stay with Diamond
    Unless you get an external switch as Suhr says. Jack Rabbits built in switch works great,
    and its a very clever way of getting tap-tempo out of one switch.
    but the sequence of turning it on - put it in tt mode - tap the tempo, is not that quick
    And it puts your brain in a wrong spot - when playing live..IMHO

With that said, i only use my Jack Rabbit, it sounds better and clearer to my ear.
    The triangle mode is really good and has the Mojo i've been missing.
    And i'm selling the diamond as i have never really bonded with it. ( and have a Spaceman Voyager comming )

So my list for you goes.
    1. Suhr with ext. Switching.
    2. Diamond
    3 Suhr

@Husky - is it possible to have the pedal do the On/Off switching and have the Tap on a remoteswitch ?

8. ChampReverb

ChampReverb Silver Supporting Member

You get used to the button if you practice using it a bit away from the band.

You could also leave it on and just roll the intensity up manually on those songs where you want tremolo stand out.

After "needing" tap-tempo tremolo I actually have found that I most always prefer an asynchronous tempo (non-tap).

However, on delay pedals I do want TT.

-bEn r.