suhr koji comp vs xotic sp

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ivikrj, Oct 22, 2013.

1. ivikrj

ivikrj Member

i was just wandering if anyone had some experience with these pedals, and could tell which one is best

2. jcat5503

jcat5503 Member

I'm curious too..

3. Eldritch Tentacles

Eldritch Tentacles Member

4. HBob

HBob Member

Just got the Koji and really like it. It's a lot more versatile with the mix knob and attack knob. Not sure what the toggle is on the EP but the toggle on the Koji gives a flat signal, a slight mids boost and a top end boost. The led also indicates whether the compressor is off, on but not engaged in compressing a signal, and what level of gain reduction to the signal (low, medium, high). I don't think it indicates when the battery is getting low like it does on the Riot Reloaded. It sounds great and is very quiet. Really happy to be playing with a comp again.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  5. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

:agree

6. bob_walker

bob_walker Member

Yes, all Suhr pedals have the battery monitor feature. If the battery gets to the warning trip-point, it will flash a few times at power up. When it drops to its failure trip-point, the pedal will switch into true bypass and the led will flash continuously. Of course, it it gets to be annoying, just hit the switch to turn it off.

The trip points are set to ensure that the semiconductors will operate in their linear region (i.e. no distortion) for maximum battery lifetime. Of course, as the battery voltage drops, headroom becomes less....trade-offs....

FI - The LED also indicates the amount of gain reduction via the green/orange/red state transitioning.

7. jcat5503

jcat5503 Member

Can anyone else elaborate on this? I'd like to hear from someone who's played both...

8. tbhuey

tbhuey Member

I'm really digging my Koji. I have had the following in this order:

Keeley 2 knob
    Barber Tone Press
    Strymon OB1
    ^ - convinced I didn't need a compressor with all of the above

Bearfoot Pale Green v1 (great tone sweetener, not enough compression for me)
    Wampler Ego (great, but beat out by the Koji)
    Suhr Koji
    Diamond (tried against Koji and Koji won)
    Mad Professor Forest Green (tried against Koji and Koji won)

I tried an SP at guitar center the other week, it really reminded me of the Keeley two knob I had, but that was a while ago. It does something to the base tone that I didn't dig when I tried it. The Koji can be more transparent IMHO, and can get little or big squish.

You might want try an SP from Gutar Center and see if you like it in your setup. If you do, don't bother with anything else. If not, return it.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  9. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

I really like the Koji. I have a Empress and a TC Electronic SPE on my boards right now, but eventually I will be building another board with the Koji. I much prefer it over the SP, but the SP is also very good.

10. shv

shv Member

Could you elaborate a little bit about the Koji vs Forest Green? What are the major differences?

11. tbhuey

tbhuey Member

shv,

I really liked the Forest Green. It definitely can do the boost thing you were talking about in the other thread better than the Koji. It is pretty unique with the two different sustain and compress modes, very cool design. Ultimately, the Koji seemed a little bit clearer to me when compressing. In my setup, it didn't color the tone as much as the FG. I'm sure some people would like the slight amount of color it added. Also, I wanted the buffer in the Koji as it is first in my chain. Both pedals are great, probably can't go wrong with either.

12. shv

shv Member

Ok, thanks! :)

13. The Danchez

The Danchez Member

Can anyone elaborate further on the Suhr Koji Comp vs the Xotic SP Comp in this discussion? I'm actually planning on buying a compressor pedal and am now deciding between these two models...

14. Ace.

Ace. Member

i'd also be interested if anyone tried both :)

15. DivineTones

DivineTones Member

I think you're going to have to do a side by side demo yourself on this one. A lot of these answers sound like ass - I mean, if you're going to say the Koji is better, but you don't even know what the toggle on the SP is for (it changes the compression ratio...), then you probably shouldn't be contributing. Otherwise it ends up like every other pedal thread on TGP, namely, people chiming in about how much the pedal on their particular board is the most awesomest of all the pedals in that subcategory (even when they don't fit the specs that the OP has sometimes painstakingly laid out).