• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Suhr Koko Boost or JHS Clover

nondeplume

Puppet For Prophet
Platinum Supporting Member
Looking for a boost pedal with tweakable mids. Mostly used in Front of a Suhr SL67 ir SE 100.

non reloaded Koko btw..

I like the Clovers fuller eq potential, but I like the Koko’s mid freq. at 2k (I think )opposed to the Clover’s 1.3k. ( I usually push 3k post recording). These will be at the end of the chain.

Anybody with experience with both or either.
Pro’s/Con’s

Junta

Could smth like the Empress parametric EQ work?

I have and used the clover, but for entirely different purposes. The Empress works with the modern metal tones I chase, making my EVH III EL34's blue channel much tighter.

The EQ and boost can be set up to work independently on the Empress.

Cheers

SubApathy

Looking for a boost pedal with tweakable mids. Mostly used in Front of a Suhr SL67 ir SE 100.

non reloaded Koko btw..

I like the Clovers fuller eq potential, but I like the Koko’s mid freq. at 2k (I think )opposed to the Clover’s 1.3k. ( I usually push 3k post recording). These will be at the end of the chain.

Anybody with experience with both or either.
Pro’s/Con’s
Check out the JHS Haunting Mids.

eyeball987

Silver Supporting Member
The original Koko has been on my board for years and is the only constant. All other OD/boosts are judged by the Koko. Not familiar with the Clover but will go search out some demo's now. Just had my first JHS pedal land this week which is a Bonsai so not much familiarity with Josh's makes but have always heard good things.

nondeplume

Puppet For Prophet
Thanks for the input, will have check out the Haunting Mids, hadn’t heard of it. I have the Tech 21 NYC Q Strip, it’s a great pedal, but not a lot of character, is the Emoress hyper clean? I have their compressor, phaser and they are very clean.

husker

I love the original dual switch Koko Boost and am not so keen on the new Reloaded; I prefer the original's functionality. It is beautifully made, quiet, and the dual channel format, especially the mid boost side with three useful mid frequencies, is excellent; I suspect it would kill with your amp as I use mine with a Friedman Small Box mainly on the Plexi channel. All in all, it is a classic modern dual boost pedal.

However, I do find that I have to have the amp cooking on gas to use it without getting a big volume boost (or almost turn the green side off; I rarely can get it beyond 8:30/9:00 on the dial). I do ride the guitar volume too. I suppose I could stack it into something else but I like the pedal directly into the amp if possible. That is only a minor niggle though and shouldn't detract from its overall greatness.

I haven't tried the Clover pedal. Another option you might want to consider is the Skreddy DME (Dynamic Mids Enhancer) which seems to have a good rep.

Good luck with your search! You can always go the recommended TGP route, which is to get both!

Last edited:

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member
Hey guys,

I had the Koko Boost but now prefer the Koko Reloaded for the smaller enclosure with same functionality but it has no volume or level control. That's the big downside to me. The mid boost knob doesn't go low enough, so it is still pretty hot.

I use the Kokoin my effects loop for solo boosts. Does it use a preamp design like the Skreddy and JHS Clover or Haunting Mids?
Since I use it as a loop boost, I don't need a preamp design, just level l control that goes all the way down.

Then again, I used to have a Catalinbread Belle Epoch in thr loop and when that is engaged the preamp came on and it worked. I also used an Xotic EP in the loop as well.

Maybe I should try the Skreddy or one of the JHS pedals. Any thoughts on these pedals in an effects loop of a high gain amp? I may just get one and give it a try.

I even thought of something like the MXR Micro Amp Custom.

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member
Any comments on the Clover and Haunting Mids in an effects loop?
I use the Koko Reloaded as a solo loop boost. I want more control over volume.

warren3333

Gold Supporting Member
The Clover is a sleeper pedal, truly underrated imho, and will be viewed as a classic one day.

Adds a little bit ‘more’, has great EQ, helps break up, great boost.

Mine replaced my beloved Cornish boost...

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member
So any more can comments on Koko Boost vs Clover vs Haunting Mids?

I plan to get the Clover to compare to my Koko and would like to try the Haunting Mids.

Cool thing about the Koko is it works great in the loop for solos, but I wish it had better control over volume. Each mid setting is also great and unique. The Clover and Haunting Mids pedals may not be as good? Or as good/better? Ha. Maybe better for control of volume?

In front of my amp, the Koko with the mids setting to the left, makes my Shiva and Dual Rec really tight and aggressive.
Don't know if the Clover can do this, nor the Haunting Mids.

I am also curious about the Friedman Buxom Boost.

papersoul

Silver Supporting Member
If all you want is a solo boost in a loop, wouldn't it make sense to not use the koko or clover, and instead use a good EQ?
There is also the Haunting Mids, but again, an EQ should do as well if not better.

Using the Koko or Clover in front of an amp is different.

Trending Topics