Suhr Michael Landau pickups

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by 1962FenderStrat, Feb 20, 2012.

1. 1962FenderStrat

1962FenderStrat Senior Member

This has been discussed before, but I'm considering installing ML Suhr's in my '62 AVRI, as 2 of the pickups in that doesn't seem to be the original ones anyway... Anyone think it's a bad idea?

And secondly, should I get the Classics or Standards?

I'd like to get a Hendrixy, SRV kind of tone,.. Im guessing Standards :huh

2. rburkard

rburkard Gold Supporting Member

My favorite replacement picks for a strat with the exception of the bridge pickup, where I prefer their 60th.
    Rene

ur2funky likes this.
  3. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

Great idea. These are great pickups!

ur2funky likes this.
  4. Husky

Husky Gold Supporting Member

Try a ML standard in the neck and middle and a V60LP Bridge :hiP

doublescale1 and ur2funky like this.
  5. Wombat

Wombat Supporting Member

I love them... have the Classics in a 62 Hot Rod Strat that I just pulled off the emporium because I got cold feet over selling it. The pickups bring that Strat to life.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  6. 1962FenderStrat

Thanks for all the input. At first I figured I'd get a new guitar to put the pickups in but then I thought it might be better to just get the pickups... I already have too many guitars, (just got a 68 Telecaster RI the other week), another Strat or Suhr won't make me a better guitarplayer, but new pickups will make my Strat sound a million times better. There's nothing wrong with the resonance and the actual sound in the guitar itself. (my 1992 62 AVRI) Now I have something to contemplate over the next few days... :)

7. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

John, what does the V60LP bridge have over the ML?

8. paulscape

paulscape Member

Standards for Hendrix/SRV the classics are much better for 50's styles but too thin for heavier blues.

9. 1962FenderStrat

Sounds like consensus are the standards, but I also would like to hear John's take on V60's compared to the ML Suhr Bridge Hot.

10. Voodoo Blues

Voodoo Blues Member

I just bought a '62 Vintage Hot Rod that had Suhr ML Standards installed and while they sound great I wouldn't say they sound like SRV or Hendrix. I'm a huge SRV/Hendrix nut and was considering putting in a set of Slider's '59 but the Suhr's sound so nice I think I'm going to stick with them for a little while. Of course since getting the 62VHR I haven't tried to nail the SRV tone either, just plugging it into my Super Reverb with a KoT and jamming away.

11. 1962FenderStrat

How would you describe the tone? Can you please upload a youtube clip noodling around with the super reverb? I have a Delxue Reverb myself, so then I'll get a pretty good grip on how it will sound once I have them installed.

12. Husky

The V60LP Bridge is warmer than the ML Bridge
    The ML pickups in the standard mode are very bold and full range. The V60LP are more smokey bar sweeter with a lower resonant peak. I could also do an overwound ML Bridge pickup for more bark, otherwise it is very old becky. Landau still loves them though. We put them in all his guitars, recently replace some abbys with them too.

13. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I have the ML pickups in my Suhr Antique, love them. I also have an original '65 strat and that is a little warmer/old school but the MLs are still in that vintage realm with a bit more oomph. My Suhr does have an SSV bridge pickup and the neck/middle pickups are the MLs.

14. ianb

ianb Member

Another option is what I recently settled on (after trying the ML in neck and middle postion, with a V60LP bridge as John recommends) is a ML in the middle, and V60LP in neck AND bridge. I really like this combo, smokey bridge and neck tones, while the ML really opens up the 2 and 4 positions with a little more chime. Still a very nice quack, but slightly less honky.

15. Voodoo Blues

Voodoo Blues Member

I've never done a gear demo before but if you don't mind waiting until this weekend I'll see what I can do. I'll PM you about it.

And just to correct myself, I pulled the pickguard off last night and the pups have FL stamped on them, not ML, but as far as I know the only difference is the name.

16. Paul Conway

Paul Conway Member

John, I have V60lp's and love them in bridge and middle but feel I'd like something a little less 'scooped' sounding in the neck slot...would either ML fit the bill? Your descriptionof the Standard seems like it might..

17. Voodoo Blues

Voodoo Blues Member

A bit of an update, I had a chance to compare the Suhr pickups in my 62VHR to the CS Texas Specials in my SRV Strat and there's a world of difference. The TS's sound very muddy and darker compared to the Suhr's. The Suhr's stay nice a crisp even when playing chords and have a sweet crunch when using an overdrive.

18. Husky

Hmmmm.... well the V60LP is really not scooped at all and has a pronounced low resonant peak. You might want to play around with some other things before chasing. What guitar cable are you using, how long is it, what is the first thing it plugs in to. Whats the rest of your gear? It really helps me to know this kind of stuff. Some of this will make much more difference than the pickups and possibly save you a bunch of dough. Not that I don't want to sell pickups but we should exhaust other options.

19. Paul Conway

Paul Conway Member

'Low peak' ....that might be what I meant......doesn't seem quite as 'forward' in this guitar....

FWIW: short cables (decent quality, low-capacitance ones, 10' either side of a small pedalboard). Into a fairly bright Fenderesque amp.

20. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Gold Supporting Member

Forgive my ignorance, but what does "low resonant peak" mean?

It sounds like it means the highs are cut but I just want to clarify.