Suhr Michael Landau pickups

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by 1962FenderStrat, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Husky

Husky Gold Supporting Member

It will only pull on the area of the string that is loose. You need to especially watch out for the Neck pickup and a bit of the middle. The bridge pickup area of the string is tight being close to the bridge. You can see by trying to push the string down at the bridge pickup and do the same at the necks pickup and see how much easier it moves.

2. Jollyboy Jay

Jollyboy Jay Member

I was actually thinking that after reading your suggestion, John. Thanks very much for taking the time to reply to something so trivial! Your pickups have completely rejuvenated my guitar.

3. zh1974

zh1974 Member

Hi John! I have a new Seafoam Classic Pro with 3 V70 configuration. I really love the guitar overall. Probably the best feeling neck I've played. Anyway, now that the honeymoon period is over, I think I'd like a little more oomph in the bridge position. I guess I'm used to modern strat guitars with hotter bridge pickups vs all the same. I also find myself having to roll back tone on bridge, because it a little bright/thin for me and my rig (PT100SE/PT 2X12) is usually dialed in for my humbucker guitars that I play more live.

I read through this thread before asking. I've tried adjusting pickup heights with some success . In terms of my signal chain, I usually run an 18" Dimarzio cable that hits CAE wah first, then a Radial Class A buffer,then it hits my phaser and overdrives etc. Then amp. I run reverb, delay and such in the loop.

I've considered trying one of your other SC in the bridge. I know that the noise cancellation system has a limit, so I want to be sure I remain within the strength of my current system. What would you recommend, and would this have any effect on my warranty?

Thanks in advance.

4. brokenvail

brokenvail Member

I have ML's in my 07 Classic and I love them. I had a different 07 Classic with BRW board with 60LP's and was not to crazy about them. I even threw 2 v60's in an Anderson Short Scale Mongrel that was Basswood body, maple top, maple neck RW board and I LOVED the v60's in that guitar.

5. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

GREAT thread! thank you as usual John @Husky for being so user friendly and sharing your knowledge and experience with us!

I recently got a wonderful 48th street Custom Shop ESP strat from the early 90s, back in the glory days of that shop, I used to hang out there all the time, when i wasn't bothering Roger Sadowsky at 1600 Broadway, lol. the previous owner of this guitar installed the ML Classics in the neck and middle, but the guitar currently has a lace sensor gold in the bridge, and I am NOT digging that pickup. I really like the ML Classics, and since they are already there, I wanna put a Suhr back in the bridge position - I am thinking the V60lp, because I really dug those in my Tyler. my 48th street guitar is a sen ash body with a maple neck/rosewood board. Should I go V60lp or ML Standard in the bridge position? THANKS!

6. Husky

Husky Gold Supporting Member

V60 LP Bridge is a great choice

7. frankie5fingers

frankie5fingers Member

Seconding JS's suggestion is likely unnecessary but from an experiential POV; I took his suggestion a couple of years ago and installed an ML NON-RW middle, with the V60LP in the neck and bridge. It's an ash body, RW board on a chunky neck with tone on neck and bridge only (Vaughn, Brewster et.al. wiring w/10% 250K pots). It's an outstanding sounding set, very sweet and super chimey in pos. 2/4 with plenty of girth and bite in the bridge without a hint of harshness; even with a Blackface.

8. BillyK

BillyK Member

Great thread.

I've got a CS Strat from about 15 years ago and I have no idea what pickups are in it. But, I've been thinking about loading another pickguard with different pups just to have an alternate. ML's pickups have floated to the top of my list. Most of my other Strats have CS pickups like Fat 50s, 54's and my EJ has stock pups that kill IMO. So, thinking of something different and ML's might be it.

9. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

You simply can't go wrong with Suhr pickups. Have them in two of my guitars now and they sound incredible!
    V70's in a Strat and a Woodshed bridge pickup in my tele.

joevacc and willyboy like this.
  10. joevacc

joevacc Member

I wonder if you finally bought the ML's? I have just ordered a set of the Classic's for my Strat - that has had Fender Lace Golds in it for almost 30 years. I still like the Lace pickups but everything I've heard about the Suhr's makes me want to try them. As a mater of fact the few Suhr guitar I've played have blown me away.

I'd love to hear the opinions of others who play the ML Classic's.

11. BillyK

BillyK Member

Haven't yet.
    -bk

12. Joe Perry

Joe Perry Gold Supporting Member

I still have the standards in my #1 60's style Antique but still think I still prefer the Classics in my 50's style Antique. I agree with John, Classics for 100% authentic strat tones. I can do the rest with amp/pedals but but can't reproduce those bell tones with pedals & amps.

@Husky do you still offer the rewinds if also sent it in for a once over (original owner)? Thanks

Hectic with kids but I need to get it back to

13. joevacc

joevacc Member

Well I have to post that I have had the ML Classics in my guitar for almost a week now and after going over every inch of the guitar setting every little thing - I could not be any happier! These things sound so effin' good, they feel good, they work at lots of height settings and they are beautifuly built.

This has been better than a NGD because I have my old girl and she is by far the brightest belle at the ball!

I built the guitar they are in 28 years ago and it started life with a custom on-board preamp/boost and EQ, push-pull pots and a switch to get the neck/bridge+all. The pick ups were Lace Sensor Golds that were still Fender branded. This was my only electric guitar until 2012! I didn't have any GAS whatsoever. About 4 years ago I pulled the preamp and all of the 'modern' wiring and put a regular harness in. That got me into the quintessential Stratocaster sounds but I have since then wanted to go all the way down that road. Adding these pickups is the best gear move I've made in a long time.

Anyway, I could go on but suffice it to say that it you are even thinking of Strat pickups you could hardly do worse than to try these Suhr's!

JimGtr likes this.
  14. Jonah Samuel

Jonah Samuel Member

Hi everyone! Been reading this thread on and off for the last couple of weeks or so. In the meantime my own classic antique arrived, equipped with a set of V60LP's even though the seller had sold them to me as ML standards. They wanted to do right by me and sent me a set of ML's no charge, so I've been putzing around with them for a couple of days. I LOVED the V60LP's so I was a bit hesitant about making the switch. They are surprisingly different. I love the singing sustain I get from the V60LP's - the ML's make you work harder! But that's not a bad thing, as Josh Smith says, you can't just "call it in", instead you have to dig in. Very crunchy! I recorded this clip today partly as a reminder to myself how the ML's sound, since I might be changing back to the V60LP's, but if this helps, I'll add the clip here as well.

I'll be doing a V60LP demo as well, if/when I change them back!

https://www.icloud.com/iclouddrive/0OKV2kpcu5HaGkatFQKxx8oNg#Suhr_ML.wav

Note: Basically all positions are being played.

0:00-0:08 Main riff is the Bridge P/U, at 0:28 switches to the Neck P/U. Just before the solo the run is played by the Neck P/U on the right and Bridge on the left. You can pan from side to side if you want to hear them more distinctly. :)

0:08:-0:14 Background riff pos. 4, from 0:15 onwards pos. 2, also the sparser, bluesier solo is on pos. 2.

The faster solo is on the middle pickup alone. I feel it's got the fattest mids. All amp settings are basically the same. I'm using an S-gear Stealer plugin, with the "Texas Driven Clean" preset. In the solo there's a touch of plate reverb from Space Designer, otherwise just the dry S-gear.

@Husky Thank you for making these incredible instruments.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018