Suhr Modern: 2-month Test Report

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by GeLoFi, Dec 20, 2009.

1. GeLoFi

GeLoFi Supporting Member

So I've had my Suhr Modern for about 2 months and wanted to give a little bit of a review/test report.

Summary conclusion: AWESOME guitar. Amazing playability, and even better tone. I can't say enough good things about this Suhr. Its my first Suhr and I'm completely blown away. I had to wait about 4+ months for it, but it was well worth it.

Specs: Suhr Modern, mahogany body, maple top, mahogany neck, pau ferro fingerboard, 24 stainless steel jumbo frets, Goldtop thin-skin poly finish, red-brown back, black painted headstock, SSV neck, SSH+ bridge, 5-way switch, push-pull coil tap for bridge pu.

When I first opened the case, it was clear that the fit and finish was spot on, no defects whatsoever. I played it unplugged and the thing just sang. Now, I'd consider myself beyond the so-called "honeymoon" period and things have only gotten better. I've adjusted to the super fast ellipitcal neck and the guitar has improved my playing all around. Jumbo stainless-steel frets are great and really make bending easier.

I'm really digging the pickups and especially the 5-way switch which lets me get so many different tones. I'm especially fond of the clean tones in the 2nd position, which is the inside coils in parallel, just loving it. Overdrive and high-gain tones are even better, cutting, round, fat, smooth. The neck pickup is great too, a lot of people say that 24-fret guitars can't get that "thump" in the neck position, but thats not the case here, beautiful chewy LP-type tones.

Overall as you can probably tell, I love this thing. I'm still hunting for the right amp, but it sounds great running into a clean egnater rebel with a BB preamp for gain (awesome pedal with this guitar/pickups). I can't recommend Suhr highly enough, just great all around guitars, and a great value (honestly) for a custom guitar. Can't go wrong when you can spec out your own custom masterbuilt guitar for under $3k!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. JohnnyFavorite

JohnnyFavorite Member

Beautiful guitar. What fingerboard radius did you go for?

3. GeLoFi

GeLoFi Supporting Member

Thanks! Its 10-16" compound.

4. suhrbrutal

suhrbrutal Senior Member

Love mine too. Just gets better everyday.

5. Pa'ani

Pa'ani Supporting Member

Congratulations... Very cool looking Suhr Modern.

6. rogwerks

rogwerks Member

maple cap and da mahogony body and neck look real pretty!!

7. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

Love the goldtop and black headstock! Nice choices!

8. mslugano

mslugano Supporting Member

Your Modern really reminds me of my Suhr T that I recently sold (I needed the money and this one had the thinnest neck). My Suhr S Classic has remained by far my number one.

Anyway, I'm curious since I have never played or even seen in the flesh a Modern...is the Modern body much smaller than the Suhr Classic S? My impression is that it is. I've been a little slow to warm to the Modern but yours kinda makes me rethink. Yours is beautiful!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. calpa94

calpa94 Member

That's a great guitar. If I didn't already have a modern I'd probably order one very similar.

10. imonabuss

imonabuss Supporting Member

I have two Moderns, and I think they may be the greatest all around guitar of all time. Amazing range of tones, perfect balance, superb to play and beautiful.

11. GeLoFi

GeLoFi Supporting Member

HAHA, you know whats funny...I googled "Suhr goldtop" a while back and found these pics, which gave me the idea for the Modern. I ordered through Matts Music and sent him these pics, he mentioned that was one of his orders too. I think, the pics ended up in my Suhr file so they had an idea of what I wanted...hilarious!

12. mslugano

mslugano Supporting Member

That IS funny! I really think this and your Modern are a couple of the coolest takes on a non-LP goldtop available.