Suhr Modern - Alternatives?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Jujo, Apr 28, 2015.

1. Jujo

Jujo Supporting Member

What else has these specs available:

- 24 frets
    - Recessed Trem or Floyd Rose
    - H/H config
    - no skinny neck, modern .800-850 is ok, but no thinner than that

I am aware of the Anderson Angel, haven't played one yet. Has anyone been able to compare the Modern and the Angel? I'm sure they will sound similar, but if anyone has comments I'm listening.

The MM Petrucci neck is pretty close to an Ibanez Wizard?

I have sampled a couple Suhr Moderns, and I could get along with it. Wouldn't say it thrilled me but I could get into it. It has a small-ish body, and the Floyd rises pretty high off the body. I'm grew up on an Ibanez RG with the lo-pro edge. I really like the way that Floyd sits. Nice and low to the body. The Gotoh Floyd feels like a giant automobile spoiler hanging off the back of the guitar. I can feel it with my playing hand.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
  2. leftycajun

leftycajun Member

If you're ordering it from Suhr they might be able to work with you on the bridge. I've heard of them swapping the Gotoh Floyd for an original floyd for example. Worth asking if that's the only thing you don't like.

3. Jujo

Jujo Supporting Member

Oooh good to know. I'm going to look into which Floyd has the lowest profile.

4. GuitarGuy510

GuitarGuy510 Member

The lowest profile (non-Edge tremolo, of course) Floyd out there as far as I know is the Floyd Rose Pro:

http://www.floydrose.com/catalog/tremolos/6:pro-series/pro

Not sure if the nut width will work with the Suhr, but that does answer the question regarding the lowest Floyd Profile out there.

5. j.s.tonehound

j.s.tonehound Member

6. Jujo

Jujo Supporting Member

I grew up on a 1991 RG770 which had a Ibanez Edge. That is the feel I want. Hmmmm...impossible? That thing does not get in the way of my picking hand.

7. Metlupass2

Metlupass2 Supporting Member

No skinny neck but you grew up on the RG770? Those are paper thin!

Maybe be it was the nut width that threw you off. The Ibanez has a wider nut. Find a Modern with the 1.687 nut width. I have one of each and they're feel very different.

I can't figure what you're talking about with the Gotoh bothering you. Maybe it was set up higher than you're used too.

What not just look for a 770?

8. calpa94

calpa94 Member

Carvin has several models with those specs.

9. dspblues

dspblues Silver Supporting Member

Why not go to Warmoth? Get the exact specs you want.

10. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

I'd say Vigier would definitely be in the same class.

My cousin has always been an Anderson guy, but he's included Vigier to this stable and loves them.

11. freedom's door

freedom's door Supporting Member

12. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

Get a recessed non-floyd with locking tuners. I thought I could never live without a Floyd or derivative. Now, I can't believe I ever liked those...

Gotoh 510 in one Suhr Standard and Wilkinson VG300 in another Suhr Standard. I want a modern too, but it will be with a recessed Gotoh 510

13. Jujo

Jujo Supporting Member

Yes, I want the wider nut for sure. Also, I still have my RG770. The neck is no joy for me now, and neither is the tone. I played that guitar exclusively for 10 yrs, but I've been away from the Wizard neck now for 10 yrs and now I'm used to C necks with more depth.

14. thiscalltoarms

thiscalltoarms more gadgets than Batman. Gold Supporting Member

If you were to find a Suhr with the right specs I bet it'd be a desert island instrument from what you are describing.

Crash-VR likes this.
  15. Jujo

Jujo Supporting Member

Well damn...I hadn't thought of that. A recessed non-Floyd? I'm out of touch on this stuff. That sounds absolutely perfect. I'm going to look into this big time!!

Thanks a lot!

16. Jujo

Jujo Supporting Member

Edit: I see the Guthrie Sig from Charvel has a recessed Floyd, with no locking nut, seems like that could work for me too. Hmmm... good stuff indeed.

17. Millul

Millul Member

Maybe the ones you tried didn't have the recessed Floyd?

Look into MIJ ESP; Jackson USA would also be a strong contender for 24 frets, Floyd-ed superstrat.

Maybe the Guthrie Govan Charvel?

18. Sean Ashe

Sean Ashe Member

I have two Angels myself, and have played a few more. I don't personally have floyds on mine but I didn't experience anything like you mention on the ones I did play with them. I personally prefer the sound of the Angel, but I'm a bit biased as I love how Andersons feel and sound in general.

due to the carve of the body and the neck heel, I think the Angel has a bit better access than the modern which may or may not be an important factor for you.

With that being said I am sure Suhr could also fufill the specs you're looking for if you ordered custom. If theres any way for you to try both a modern and an angel back to back, that would probably be your best way to decide :)

19. Jujo

Jujo Supporting Member

I agree Sean. Would love to try an Angel, I'm also an Anderson man. I'd have to wait till I came across an Angel in a shop though...that sounds tough. I'm ready to rock right now! I am very curious about the body geometry on the Angel vs Modern and that's something that you have to feel- no way around it.

20. calieng

calieng Member

I have 2 Suhr Moderns and 2 Angels, one with regular trem, and one PRS Custom 24 Floyd. I prefer the PRS for access and overall neck shape and tone. For Floyd at least. Check one out if you get a chance.

P.S. Check out my blue Anderson here:

http://www.theguitarsanctuary.com/T...ean-Blue-Burst-p/anderson-angel-08-25-14a.htm

I find the neck a little thin for my liking but it is one of the most beautiful guitars I own so I can't bear to sell it!