Suhr Modern: More Than Just 24 Frets!

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by JDouglee, Feb 3, 2008.

1. JDouglee

JDouglee Member

Well, I got to spend some time with this one at NAMM. Everyone was talking before the show how it's going to be THE shred machine and all that. After playing it through all the amps in the Suhr booth, I soon found it WAS. But what surprised me was how organic & resonant the Modern sounded. Be it the design, neck joint, woods...whatever they did, the sounds echoed & rattled thru my brain for days after the NAMM Show. How I could go from powerful bridge bucker, to strat sparkle, to Jimmy Page in the middle position (I love Les Pauls)...I couldn't get this thing out of my mind. I sat there playing "For Your Life" when I guess I should've been shredding Van Halen haha, but you get lost in the tones when something really speaks to you and this one did.

So, I'm pulling the trigger on one simliar to the LE. Yes, GAS has taken control of my will, but this one will be onstage not sitting in the closet after the honeymoon is over. Now, I'm not a guy who's career depends on 24 frets, so that's just a bonus. It's the REST of the guitar that I'm buying.
    I can't friggin wait to put the first few miles on this thing!

I stole some resized shots from JS's forum to show here, just for grins!
    Enjoy!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. JDouglee

JDouglee Member

3. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

Suhr is the first builder that I've come across that can make that trem system sound warm and "Vintagey." I just made up a word!

For that style of guitar, I don't think I've seen a cooler piece.

4. JDouglee

JDouglee Member

One thing I didn't report on, was the Gotoh Floyd. Not only is it really high quality in it's construction, it sounds very natural. It didn't sound, if you will, like a "Floyd".

5. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change! Supporting Member

I really wish he had just changed the neck pocket and layout of the original body style instead of making this new one. It looks melted and cheap compared to the elegant lines of his other guitars.

6. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

I was really looking forward to this model, but I'm somewhat disappointed after seeing the final design. It looks like they took the lazy road to creating a 24-fret model and just added 2 frets onto the end of the neck instead of moving the neck out to facilitate better access. I could be wrong though; this is just from looking at pics.

-Austin

7. BluePowder

BluePowder Member

For those who are interested in seeing more pics of the Modern from Suhr, you can check them out on their photo site...

The Suhr Modern.
    http://gallery.mac.com/suhrguitars#100265&bgcolor=black&view=grid

The Suhr Modern Limited Edition 10th Year Anniversary model.
    http://gallery.mac.com/suhrguitars#100326&bgcolor=black&view=grid

I can't help but wonder though, how much would a Suhr Modern spec'd out the same way as the Limited would cost.

Someone should do a shootout between the Modern and other 24 fret shredder guitars out there, like Jacksons and high end J-custom Ibanez guitars.

That would be very interesting!

8. matte

matte Senior Member

don't forget the prs standard and cu 24s (especially the og "85-"92 joints). killer shred guitars with proprietary tuners and bridges.

9. sixstringmonk

sixstringmonk Member

That looks like a great guitar. There's no HSH version?

10. MOJO

MOJO Member

so the body shape is different?!!

i thought it was just my eyes or the way it was photo'd when i first saw it..

i think i prefer the regular Suhr body style too..

11. JDouglee

JDouglee Member

Nah, you have to play one to "get it", you can't really tell from the pics. The upper fret access is effortless, yet the neck joint is solid enough to where it just resonates like crazy. I spent alot of time with both the LE, and the alder body prototypes, and you don't have to shift your hands/techinque to get up there, trust me.

At the same time, when you play it, the 24 fret thing doesn't really "announce itself" and become distracting if that makes sense. It's a great design if you're a 21/22 fret guy who wants some extra range (like me). Yet if you HAVE to have it, and are used to 24s, it'll seem totally natural.

Oh and yes, the body style is different from a Standard. The waist is offset (like a jazz bass) and the horns are different. But it's comfy, classy, and not 80's pointy. That's a good thing I'm thinkin. :AOK

12. matte

matte Senior Member

looks like the lower horn is going to interfere with extended fingerings (diminished, minor, major and augmented arpeggios on each string, particularly the low e). i don't understand why many builders don't scallop out the back of the lower horn itself to enable less cramped real estate in the upper registers.

13. JDouglee

JDouglee Member

Again, it's possible the pictures are not telling you the whole story.

14. Kappy

Kappy Member

The new neck bolt system reminds me of Melancon. Not saying anything, just noticing. I'm not a fan of 24 fret guitars in general. Seems like giving up a lot of tone from the neck pickup to gain an extra Eb and E note (and I've always felt that about them). But that's a beautiful guitar, no doubt (as are the others I've seen). I think Suhr Standards are a killer shred guitar though and haven't really found much comparable in the price range (except of course Andersons).

15. VinceV

VinceV Member

I brought up the same question on the Suhr Forum, when the new prices were released.

A similar spec guitar minus the inlay and the special serial # will run about $1800 less.

The response I got was that the woods used in the LE are are the very best they could find, you get a limited run piece of 100 guitars, and the cost to R&D the modern.

I'm not so sold on those last 2 answers. Seems to me 100 is a lot of guitars, especially for Suhr. And I'm not to keen on getting to pay the cost of the R&D for their 24 fret guitars.

The wood argument I can see to a point, but I'm not too sure about a $1800 premium for wood. It's not like it's "old growth" LOL! In all seriousness, it's not like the normal Suhr woods, suck.

Here is the link to the thread I started on the forum

http://www.online-discussion.com/Suhr/viewtopic.php?t=2210

16. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change! Supporting Member

Because other than a few companies, most are building these guitars for a guy that needs that extra octave of E for one or two high notes or bends per night and they know that noone will buy it if they actually make the physical changes to the body to make those last 10 frets actually comfortable to play.

17. HBK

HBK Member

I read this thread on suhr forum, I can accepet about 500USD premium charge for the LE10, anything above that, i will rather go with the normal custom guitar, for a 6000USD listed price suhr, i prefer the carve top for that amount of money.

18. BluePowder

BluePowder Member

I agree with you guys on the upcharge, it's a little too much imho to pay for wood, rnd and the limited tag which goes with it.

One thing though, I used to play Ibanez Jems and Universe guitars almost exclusively. One thing I hated about these 24 fret guitars was exctly what Matte mentioned, the lower horn kept obstructing my hand whenever I played up on the upper register.

Still a great direction Suhr is taking, I'm actually glad they are branching out more. I can't wait to see their take on a set neck single cut!!! :D

19. HBK

HBK Member

I wish suhr can spend a lot of time on the design of that single cut guitar, and i hope it looks very close to the lespaul.

20. JDouglee

JDouglee Member

I'm going with a spec'd Modern, not the LE. However there are pics of the LE! And mine will be similar, with my own preferences there. I'll be playing mine onstage, gigging with it, using it. I couldn't justify getting a collector's limited edition and putting so many miles on it.