Suhr Modern Pro vs Modern Satin

andyg_prs

Hi,

My journey so far is that I have owned a Pro Series S4, a Pro Series S3, a Modern HSH with 510 trem and currently a Modern Pro with Floyd Rose (M6).

I loved the S4 and S3 but 24 frets is currently my strong preference.

The Modern HSH was lovely...but the way I abuse a trem it wasn't stable enough for my OCD!

The M6 is a beauty. It has a maple fingerboard and I find it a touch bright at times...nothing I can't compensate for. I love the way it plays. I'd need to try it next to an HSH version but so far not missed the middle single and I love stratty tones.

I love the rock solid tuning of the Floyd. The only odd thing is that the neck feels chunky compared to every other Modern I've tried. I raised this previously and other than the impact of how each neck is finished (hand sanding I guess) some people find maple fingerboards make the neck feel bigger...I don't get that.

Anyhow, I'm honing in on my perfect Suhr now!

First question, neck profiles...they've all been modern eliptical 10-14" but also state 0.800 - 0.850. Sorry to be dull, but what does that last part mean?

I've heard there are other options for that dimension such as 0.780 - 0.830

Next question. Has anyone compared a Modern / Modern Pro with a rosewood board to a Modern Satin? Even better if they all had Floyds. I'm fascinated to know how the all Mahogany body vs the typical basswood/maple cap would sound. Both for humbucker and split sounds...

Thanks!
Andy

cap10kirk

I can't really comment on different Suhr models specifically, as I've only played one (great guitar, out of my price range though). But to answer your first question, in general, neck thickness from front to back is measured at the 1st and 12th frets. That's where those numbers come into play. .8" at the first, .85" at the twelfth. The other dimension you mentioned would be a slightly thinner neck profile at .78" at the first and .83" at the twelfth. Modern Elliptical is the shape of the neck, and the 10-14" number you mentioned is the fretboard radius.

jcj

Silver Supporting Member
Regarding the wood combos, it's really tough to say, as it can vary so much with individual samples.

I've owned a bunch of Suhr and Anderson guitars, and while I usually prefer Alder, Alder/Maple, or Basswood/Maple, I've been surprised by how other combinations (or individual woods), sound so close, that I couldn't honestly tell you what they may have been.

Play as many as you can, and you'll likely notice a recurring preference.

Good luck!

D. Robinson

Chuck Levins in DC has a few moderns that I got to play before buying my modern satin. I thought the modern pro with maple neck didn't sound as good as the satin I now own. The african mahogany is a nice surprise, it is pretty bright, but has excellent midrange response! I thought the modern pro lacked balls compared to the satin. Both guitars I played had the gotoh trem.

Kelly

Chuck Levins in DC has a few moderns that I got to play before buying my modern satin. I thought the modern pro with maple neck didn't sound as good as the satin I now own. The african mahogany is a nice surprise, it is pretty bright, but has excellent midrange response! I thought the modern pro lacked balls compared to the satin. Both guitars I played had the gotoh trem.
I've been eyeing these for awhile. How heavy is it? Sapele can be on the heavy side.

andyg_prs

Thanks, I'm in the UK and we get a much smaller range here and very few shops stocking them. I have to admit I tend to buy secondhand which limits options still further.... I asked about the split sounds as I was amazed at how well the Moderns do those...and had started to form a half-baked opinion about the basswood contributing to that as many Ibanez guitars are pretty good in that regard too...also basswood...whereas my self build and Vigiers I have tried (also awesome guitars) were mahogany or alder bodies with maple caps and didn't quack nearly as well. Of course there are hundreds of factors that could be at play here....

D. Robinson

I've been eyeing these for awhile. How heavy is it? Sapele can be on the heavy side.
I haven't weighed it but I have a pine tele that is a little under 6.5 lbs, and the satin is certainly no heavier. I estimate that it is right at 6lbs

Thanks, I'm in the UK and we get a much smaller range here and very few shops stocking them. I have to admit I tend to buy secondhand which limits options still further.... I asked about the split sounds as I was amazed at how well the Moderns do those...and had started to form a half-baked opinion about the basswood contributing to that as many Ibanez guitars are pretty good in that regard too...also basswood...whereas my self build and Vigiers I have tried (also awesome guitars) were mahogany or alder bodies with maple caps and didn't quack nearly as well. Of course there are hundreds of factors that could be at play here....
Vigiers are awesome! A buddy of mine has the Shawn Lane model, truly a killer instrument. If this helps at all, the split sounds on the Suhr are what I wish the split sounds on my PRS would be. I have the H-H satin and the two humbuckers split together really does a great tele style quack. The only other split is the neck pickup split on its own and that sounds great too.

andyg_prs

There's a Floyd style one I'll try. Unfortunately I can't try an HH next to an HSH.

I wouldn't necessarily go for a Satin finish...but I like the idea of mahogany...and the price.... I'd love to try yours for the tuning.

My standard test...tune perfectly. Dive till the strings flop...return to neutral. Check the tuning on all strings. Most guitars (including Suhrs) fail for me...

Lucky I'm in the UK or I'd be asking you for a price on yours :)

Trending Topics

Top Bottom