Suhr Modern Satin: why did the woods change?

Rachmaninoff

I own a Suhr Modern Satin built in 2013. In the spec sheet, the woods are:
  • African mahogany body
  • African mahogany neck
  • Indian rosewood fretboard
Currently, the Suhr website lists the woods as:
  • African okoume body
  • Khaya neck
  • Pau ferro fretboard
Why did the woods change, and when did it happen?

Comparing some pictures, the body/neck woods of mine seem to be of a lighter color, and a "cleaner" look (less darker areas). My fretboard is definitely darker and more uniform.

rollyfoster

Supporting Member
I think John went into pretty good detail about it in one of the Aura threads as that guitar uses the same woods and some people lost their collective **** and he had to set them straight.

SigXer

Well, not using a rosewood board would save a lot of headaches on the CITES stuff.

anyone

I’m pretty sure Okume is consistently lighter in weight, Khaya is another name for African mahogany, and Pau Ferro gets around the CITES headaches.

brokenvail

• African okoume is very similar to mahogany tonally speaking if I recall and Pau has been used for year by manufacturers as an alternate to Rosewood

PSLUAN

Supporting Member
Don't quote me on this, I owned 2 Modern Satins and love those guitars. This is what I understand:

The African Mahogany that they used before is actually okoume. So basically the old Satins are rosewood/okoume + okoume construction.
It seems that okoume neck suffers from stability issues, Suhr seems to have upgraded it with the recent Khaya neck. The paul ferro board also increases the stability of the neck. I would guess it simplifies the paper work for Suhr to get them shipped globally as well. I kinda remember John mentioned somewhere that he likes how it sounds with the pau ferro/khaya + okoume combination.

Husky

Not a stability problem, the Khaya is just stronger if dropped.

Don't quote me on this, I owned 2 Modern Satins and love those guitars. This is what I understand:

The African Mahogany that they used before is actually okoume. So basically the old Satins are rosewood/okoume + okoume construction.
It seems that okoume neck suffers from stability issues, Suhr seems to have upgraded it with the recent Khaya neck. The paul ferro board also increases the stability of the neck. I would guess it simplifies the paper work for Suhr to get them shipped globally as well. I kinda remember John mentioned somewhere that he likes how it sounds with the pau ferro/khaya + okoume combination.