Suhr Modern vs Standard

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by schofnsteen, Feb 15, 2009.

1. schofnsteen

schofnsteen Member

Anyone compare the 2 models? Other than shape I believe both can be ordered with identical specs. Does the modern have a thicker sound ?

2. Psh511

Psh511 Member

The modern in a 24 fret guitar and I believe a different body shape than the standard

3. JDouglee

JDouglee Member

The neck profiles of the Modern are more specific, and the neck joint is alot different. Plus no pickguard. So not identical in the specs.

4. purestmonk

purestmonk Member

from what the suhr people told me, the modern has an edgier sound

5. Terje79

Terje79 Member

The modern has a thicker body and more mass. I was looking at this a while ago there is a post on the suhr forums: (right from ed yoon)

Guthrie has a Mahogany body Standard which has been his main guitar for around 4 years and he just got his Signature Modern with virtually identical woods and he says they feel and sound like completely different guitars. He loves all of his Suhr guitars and each one has its own unique feel and sound, but he seems very happy with the Modern and is very content on it being his main guitar. So, once again, it's a matter of individual taste.

The slightly thicker body of the Modern and different neck-body joint as well as the longer neck of the Modern will affect the acoustic and resonant characteristics for sure, even if those things are subtle. Whether that's preferable or not compared to the Standard is up to the individual. They are different guitars. The Modern certainly wasn't just a case of adding two more frets to the Standard design. The Modern was designed from the ground-up as a whole new model. My thoughts are that the Standard would be closer to the Classic (assuming both have pickguards and similar bridges) than the Modern.

Personally, I absolutely love the design and the overall look of the Modern. That has nothing to do with me working here or not. If I was a consumer, this is what I would have wanted in a 24-fret guitar. It's got its own thing and we can confidently and honestly say that it's a "pure Suhr" design with its own identity. The Standard shape goes back to the 80's Pensa-Suhr days and the Classic and Classic T shapes are, well, classic-derived. The Modern, in exactly one year of existence, has become the most popular Suhr guitar model (not including the Pro Series) and I, for one, am not surprised at all. Still, I'd want at least one of each! [​IMG]

6. Jim S

Jim S Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

paging Sharkdiver to the Suhr courtesy phone

7. Drowned Rabbit

Drowned Rabbit Black Beauty Beats Burst

I own both a Modern and a Standard, Terje79's
    comments are pretty dead-on. It seems to me
    that the Standard is still firmly within the realm
    of what I would call a "Super-Strat", where as
    the Modern is more of an evolutionary step away
    from that. I love my Standard, but the Modern
    feels better to play. The woods and PuPs on each
    of mine are totally different, so I can't really
    compare the two tonally.

8. Husky

Husky Gold Supporting Member

Who said that? I wouldn't say that at all
    I would say it is a fatter tone, more mass than the standard.

9. purestmonk

purestmonk Member

I have just checked my previous email correspondence with Suhr guitars, and Im sorry that I have misinterpretated the information that I've gotten. Misinformation on my part, my apologies to everyone out there

10. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

It comes down to a matter of preference. I still prefer the classic and standard over the modern, but everyone of these models is top notch. The modern is better than any other 24 fretter that I have tried. YMMV

11. shoe

shoe Member

Agreed. I'm also not a fan of how a neck pickup sounds on a 24 fret guitar. I wish there was a 22 fret version of the modern.....oh, and a 7 string version too!

12. FiestaRed

FiestaRed Gold Supporting Member

With a Mahogany neck and body and a maple top, would a Modern be a little more "Les Paul"-ish?

13. johnston

johnston Member

i would think that it would definitely get you around half of the way there. but the suhr would have the longer scale length, bolt-on construction, different neck angle, thinner body, less weight, different bridge, etc. it'd still be ways off. i've tried bolt-on guitars with lp woods and they didn't sound like lp's at all.

14. JDouglee

JDouglee Member

As a mahogany Modern owner, I would have to say 'yes' to that one.

I'm convinced part of that is the construction, in addition to the woods. :AOK

15. imonabuss

imonabuss Supporting Member

I've owned both and currently have an LE Modern. The Standards are a fine guitar, but in my opinion the Modern be one of the greatest guitars ever. If you haven't spent a good chunk of time with one, you should. Every top player I know who has played mine loves it.

16. Shark Diver

Shark Diver Member

I've had 2 standards and 10 moderns. Every single one a little different. For me I like the feel of the modern when I'm playing more. Tone wise I'm sure I could spec a standard to sound the same as my favorite modern. But the standard didn't sit on me as well, and I had been playing 22 fretters for almost 2 decades previous to the modern.

Really you've got to go pick it up, play it, plug it in, play it. Neck shape, how it hangs on you, how you like the heel, etc. I've always felt you can spec out the tone woods, but the feel is in the guitar itself, and that is the most important, and most personal. John obviously knows, but the standard felt bigger to me, though he says the modern has more mass. Just goes to show how feel can make things feel different than they are.

Also, what you want out of it. What I get from the modern may not be what you want at all. Either way, John makes some extremely kick ass guitars, amps, and pedals/tools. Try 'em all!

17. mooncobra

mooncobra Supporting Member

I just ordered a Modern a couple days ago, I CANNOT WAIT TO GET MY DIRTY HANDS ON THAT THING AND CHOKE THE LIFE FROM IT! I ordered a basswood/pau ferro/olympic white/all black hardware/floyd/natural headstock/9's tuned down a 1/2 step/sperzel locking, etc. I have owned many guitars, many nice high end guitars, and for me at least, the Modern is by far the nicest playing, feeling, sounding guitar I have ever come across. Although, in the realm of the super strat, Performance makes some insane guitars as well, a close second to the Modern.