Suhr Modern

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by rnib2u, May 24, 2008.

1. rnib2u

rnib2u Member

Has anyone played a Suhr Modern? I've had his Classics and was wondering if there was much of a difference in the feel with the Modern. Thanks!!!

2. Zuper

Zuper Supporting Member

Only a couple have been shipped out. I believe Shark Diver just bought one of the LEs. You might want to check out the Suhr forum.

3. Drowned Rabbit

Drowned Rabbit Black Beauty Beats Burst

I'm in the process of ordering one now.
    I also own a standard that's being fitted
    with WolfeTone PUPs. I should be able to
    A/B them relatively soon and I'll be sure
    to post the results :eek:

4. jcoggins7

jcoggins7 Member

I wish...the metalhead in me really really wants one of those things bad.

5. Shark Diver

Shark Diver Member

I just gigged the LE last night and tonight - it was great. I can't compare it to a Classic as I've never played one. But it was fun as hell rocking out the last 2 nights. I really, really like the neck and pups. The whole feel of the guitar was great. We play just about all kinds of music, and it suhrly did everything from funk, jazz, classic, progressive, R&B - whatever. But it just kills at rock. I bought a standard a week before, which I thought would be my #1, but I think the Modern just stole that. I'm going to definitely get a 2nd Modern, probably spec'd to Steve Stevens.

Even though I haven't played a Classic I would think they have very different vibes.

6. rnib2u

rnib2u Member

Thanks guys for the info, I appreciate it!! Shark, what pups do you have and which neck? Do you have a pic?:BEER

7. imonabuss

imonabuss Supporting Member

I've had one on order since before NAMM. I have no idea what the schedule is for delivering, but I am sure the guitar will be great like all his others. I did sell two of my others to pay for it though, leaving me with just one Suhr and I am looking forward to having the darned thing!

8. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

9. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

I assume the pickups are Aldrich's? Great pickups (but so are a few other Suhr models I've tried). I'd be interested in knowing the answer to this question as well. Also, is access to the 24th fret on the Modern as easy as access to the 22nd fret on the standard? Doesn't look like it would be from pics, but of course pics can't tell the whole story.

-Austin

10. Shark Diver

Shark Diver Member

[​IMG]

Aldrich pups. Modern mahogany neck. The access to the 24th is not the same as the access to the 22nd of a standard. The body hits the neck in the exact same place. I don't find it a problem, I don't play up there a lot anyway.

11. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

Sick!:drool:drool:drool:drool

12. devilrob1979

devilrob1979 Member

Normally I don't like Suhr headstocks but that one just looks great.

13. Jim S

Jim S Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

How do you like the Aldrich pup and can you compare/contrast it something more ubiquitous like the Gibson BB pups or stock PRS?

14. Shark Diver

Shark Diver Member

I don't like PRS pups at all. I have owned over 25 PRS guitars and change the pups every time. I was using Bare Knuckle VHIIs and Rebel Yells in my Modern Eagles. Which I really like. I find the Aldrich pups extremely clear, rich, harmonic and very organic. Not sure how much of that is woods and scale, but my band says that both the Modern and Standard are my best sounding guitars. Both have Aldrich pups.

Never played any Gibson pups.

15. jazzandmetal?

Really? All those PRS guitars and nice suhrs and you have never played a les paul or an sg? Weird!

16. Shark Diver

Shark Diver Member

Well, grew up with a few different Ibanez models in my early years. Most of the bands I listened to played them. Then I got into PRS and have been there for 20 years. These are my first to Suhrs. In between I've had a few EVH EBs and a few original Bakers. Had 2 Driskills as well.

Gibson just wasn't putting out the quality during the late '80s early 90s. Not too many people I know really played them. Some of my favorite guitarist play Gibsons and Fenders, but I never have. Never have owned or played a Marshall or Fender amp either. Lots of rack gear early on, then Mesas, Bogners, Deizels and Suhrs. Now an Axe FX.

Never really wanted to emulate someone else's sound, just try my own thing. I play just about all styles and love most of the above. Just never chased down those sounds.

17. jazzandmetal?

Wow. Cool you got your own sound. Makes sense to not play things that have defined so many others. It is just strange...if you know what I mean to have never played the staple gear that makes up the foundation of all that is available today.

18. Jim S

Jim S Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

That's great as I'm deciding between the Suhr Aldrich and the Bare Knuckle Rebel Yell for my Les Paul. I don't want to derail the thread but can you compare and contrast the two? You can PM me if you like.

:BEER

19. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

I don't think it's all that strange, although it might seem like it if you hang out on TGP alot. None of the folks I liked growing up playing LP's or Fenders (not that I knew of anyway), so I don't have any sort of nostalgia tied up in those brands. I've owned alot of guitar, but never anything by Gibson or Fender.

-Austin

20. Shark Diver

Shark Diver Member

Because they are in such different guitars it's hard to compare, but I find the Aldrich a little tighter and clearer with less gain. All I can really tell you is Steve Stevens just got a Suhr Modern with Aldrich pups in it. I haven't heard he switched them, and I've been checking. :cool:

Both are great pups though.