Suhr neck carve

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by FiestaRed, Jun 20, 2005.

1. FiestaRed

FiestaRed Gold Supporting Member

I am a Charvel/GMW player, and I love that style of neck. I own a Suhr Classic that is a wonderful guitar. It sounds incredible. It has an even C slim neck carve, which I'm finding is not what I want. I find the neck too thin underneath the the E strings. Some people refer to this part as the 'shoulders' of the neck

Someone suggested an even C medium. I am afraid that the neck would just be thicker with the same features. Is this the case?

Your opinions please.

-Mark

2. mwags

mwags Supporting Member

Hi Mark,

don't kow if this helps but I ordered a Classic with my favourite neck carve (one that John does not offer as standard). I got the guitar last thursday and it is perfect.
    In fact the Suhr neck feels better than the guitar neck I wanted copied (if that makes sense). So if you have a neck carve you really like you may want to measure it and have John make it for you.
    I'm no expert, but after four Suhrs I can say with confidence that he won't let you down.

3. Tim

Tim Silver Supporting Member

The only way is to get out there and feel the girls!!!

There are 3 different Even Taper Cs (each with a different amonut of meat!)... and there are also the 60's C's (I love these too!)

I have never played the Soft V though.... hmm maybe next time!!

4. wodka

wodka Member

I'm pretty sure that Suhr will do custom carves based on a favorite neck. Not sure what it costs. They probably already have a GWM/Charvel contour already programmed.

5. Teleplayer

Teleplayer Silver Supporting Member

Why not simply call or e-mail John directly, and ask him?

6. Den

Den Member

Good advice ... John's great about this stuff. If you have a neck on something you already like, he'll find a way to make it happen for you. Good luck

BTW, his spam filters sometimes get a little crazy, so if you email and don't hear back after a bit, definitely give him a call.

7. FiestaRed

I'm sure that John has better things to do than deal with someone whining about how his necks are not like a Charvel.

-Mark

8. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

Suhr can make any neck carve

9. FiestaRed

If I could do that I wouldn't have asked for an opinion in this thread. There is no dealer in Sacramento, and the nearest one is about 4 hours away. I'd be better off driving to Suhrs shop, which is about 8 hours away.

-Mark

10. Teleplayer

My guess is that it would be worth an e-mail to John. Or, put it this way, as long as you're taking the time to set-up a thread about it and write responses to everyone on your thread, why don't you take the same amount of time to shoot John a quick e-mail and tell him what you are seeking? Worst case is he won't respond (doubtful).

Or, if you don't think John has the time to discuss this with you, why not speak with one of his dealers? Or, maybe you could go to the Suhr forum and discuss it there; seems like a logical place, unless you have already tried it without any luck.

11. Den

Den Member

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by FiestaRed
    I'm sure that John has better things to do than deal with someone whining about how his necks are not like a Charvel.

-Mark
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Exactly ... rather than calling John and whining about anything, just ask him a polite question or two.

12. Tim

Tim Silver Supporting Member

..... if you post a question on the Suhr Forum, Ed Yoon (he now workd for John) will usually answer pretty quick.

13. Teleplayer