• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Suhr nitro finishes

TiEsQue

Stainless fret are not pure stainless, just an alloy as the nickel silver is.
The frets are securely mounted into the fingerboard. I hear a MUCH bigger difference between the bridges as compared to the frets and it isnt just the material but the mass properties and shape of the saddles. Your fingers will make a much bigger difference that the frets. I find stainless have more sustain and other benifits but I would love for it to go away as a manufacturer:AOK
Thanks John. I have a follow up question. I clean an polish my frets with steel wool on a regular basis, as needed. I'm sure most players don't do this, but I find it greatly increases the feel and playability of the frets. Given the greater hardness of steel, would I still be able to clean my frets in this manner or would the harder frets make this a much more difficult task?

oxtone

John,

I just want to take this opportunity to tell you how much I love your guitars! I've been trying the new Pro Series at American Guitar Boutique (St. Paul, MN - a great store!), and I must say these are great guitars for the $$!! I love the feel of the neck, and the set up is flawless!

I also absolutely LOVE your Classic T! It is by far the best Tele style guitar I've EVER played - it has the perfect combination of TWANG and TONE! The Butterscotch one at the Boutique is a thing of beauty!

I do own a Fender '62 Reissue Custom Tele, but it's nowhere close to the
quality and playability of your fabulous Classic T.

Keep up the good work! Someday, I hope to own one of your fabulous guitars. :AOK

evhfan

suhrs are easily the best guitars out there.

the headstocks kinda remind me of the old kramer headstocks, the SS frets are the best things out there (next to the SSH+ pickup)

TiEsQue

suhrs are easily the best guitars out there.
That's a big claim! You're obviously a fan of Suhr guitars and it's great that you found a guitar you like so much. I think Suhrs are absolutely top notch instruments, no doubt. There are other top notch builders as well that each have their own strengths. I believe Suhr's greatest strength is that he is in tune with what his customers want and gives it to them without sacrificing quality. I've purchased from other skilled builders and they can be very limited in what they will build. No non-standard pickup wiring, no custom radius, pre-cbs colors only etc. With Suhr, you get what you want. I'm sure John could get a few more hours of sleep each night if he just offered a few basic models with little or no customization, but I'm glad he doesn't and it's part of the reason I've purchased 3 of his guitars.

mbrown3

Big time, that Tyler headstock looks like one of those big foam fingers from sporting events. Very very odd.

jzucker

Silver Supporting Member
I've purchased from other skilled builders and they can be very limited in what they will build.
I agree. I think it's easy for builders to get into the mode where it's about them and their product lines but really, the important thing is the player and what will work for the player. I don't want to pick an instrument that's good or fun or easy for the builder to make. I want an instrument that is customized to what I want in terms of scale, radius, woods, pickups, etc.

And then, on top of that the Suhr guitars just sound fantastic. I've heard folks complain that they don't sound like vintage strats but if you get a Suhr with vintage pickups, a vintage style stamped bridge and kluson tuners, it will hang with the best $15,000 strats. If you get one with the cast bridge and locking sperzels it will have a more modern vibe.

I think the nitro vs. poly and SS fret debate is a cork-sniffer argument. I don't think there is anyone who can hear the difference in a blindfold listening test. As John says, the biggest difference is the player, touch and the way they attack the strings.

Joe Perry

Platinum Supporting Member
But for those who insist on the nitro lacquer with the aged look, we can do 'em and are taking orders.:AOK
Hey Ed,

How far out are the lead times? I'm interested in one with the same neck profile as the one I special ordered last year (s/n 5154). Could you please e-mail me (in profile) how much that would be as an upgrade. I'd also go with the SSC, 6100 SS frets and the Wilky 6 screw vintage bridge.

Thanks,

Joe

CS'56

Hey John, I inquired to you in email once about laquer and you mentioned that It is illegal to shoot laquer. You said Fender is squeeking by because they have a $1,000,000 "After burner" for their spray booth but soon that wont matter either.

I was just wondering have things changed in CA for spraying Laquer?

homebrewer99

Silver Supporting Member
mark-

I think the Suhr nitro will be sprayed out of California by Jay Black and another currently unknown painter. Cali still has anti-nitro regulation.

TiEsQue

Ed, Is John Black in Portland? I've got one of his Fender CS Strats and I really like it. I live in Portland also and I'd love to have his contact info for repairs and setups if he's actively looking for customers. I used to use Saul Koll but he's too busy making his own guitars now.

CS'56

I'll answer for John. We have to outsource the finish work out of state. In the case with the new Antique guitars, J Black (the ex-Fender Custom Shop master builder who came up with the Relic idea) in Oregon is applying the lacquer finish and the aging process. We are looking for another painter out of state to offer the new "un-aged" lacquer finish due to popular demand. When a good number of customers ask for things like this, we'll try our best to accommodate.
Thanks Alex

Ted Witcher

I'll answer for John. We have to outsource the finish work out of state. In the case with the new Antique guitars, J Black (the ex-Fender Custom Shop master builder who came up with the Relic idea) in Oregon is applying the lacquer finish and the aging process. We are looking for another painter out of state to offer the new "un-aged" lacquer finish due to popular demand. When a good number of customers ask for things like this, we'll try our best to accommodate.
Ed, you might try Mark Jenny if you need a name for your list. He shoots nitro. I have no idea what his situation is, it's just a thought. But I like his work. mjtelecaster.com

Trending Topics

Top Bottom