1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Suhr no longer offering the buzz fieten?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by theanalogdream, May 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theanalogdream

theanalogdream Supporting Member

I sent an email to suhr inquiring about a T type guitar, and I found out that they are no longer offering the buzz fieten system due to John's personal preference.
    Interesting!

2. stashman

stashman Supporting Member

I believe that it is no longer standard but still available, can that be true.....oh Husky?

3. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

To me, this is a good thing. His guitars honestly did not need it.

4. DWB1960

DWB1960 Senior Member

Agreed.

5. dsw67

dsw67 Supporting Member

+2. Keep it as an option if requested but don't make it standard.

6. Sikor

Sikor Member

No need for search. This question has been answered in this thread already :)

7. John C

John C Supporting Member

Actually we might need an update from John - I just checked the 2011 price lists and BF is not listed as an available option. I thought it was listed as an option on the "Custom Guitars" 2010 price list but I could be wrong.

8. Sir Douglas T

Sir Douglas T Supporting Member

Guys I have owned 8 custom made Suhrs since I got on board in 2002. All but my last 2 had the buzz F system. I thought that it was the greatest thing until I played my 2 most recent guitars. My tuning stability is better than I could have ever imagined. Such a world of difference and it plays perfect all the way up the neck. I'm sold on John's technique and I may only tune once or twice per month only to find it's still in perfect tune. Now I can just concentrate on my playing and not so much on my guitar. The best of the best IMHO. - doug gentry :aok

9. HaggertysMusic

HaggertysMusic Member

The buzzy feiten system is no longer offered at all by Suhr guitars... by special request or not, and agree with the opinions expressed here already, John's guitars do not need it!

10. Husky

Husky Gold Supporting Member

Not my personal preference as the reason but because of ... *a prefered all or nothing agreement. *Confusion on the actual owners of the system. *I don't want to apply it to all my instruments. *The majority of my customers would prefer not to use it. *The bridge location also can not be optimized for both so things get confusing.

Bottom line is with a nut cut the way we do we don't find it an advantage for most players and receive more complaints and confusion with guitars that have it. All our fret slots are CNC cut by 1 saw blade with extreme accuracy. Our nut slots are low and I find no tuning issue that needs to be addressed.

It is easier to have it installed rather than trying to remove it. You can also try their shelf nut first so you don't need to remove wood and can more easily return the instrument to stock should you use their shelf nut compared to an OEM installation.

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  11. JDouglee

JDouglee Member

I like it on my Suhrs, but that is funky. I guess if you really need it you can retrofit.

12. Ampegasaur

Ampegasaur Member

Never liked the system, my Suhrs do not have them. Soooo good as they are.

13. theanalogdream

theanalogdream Supporting Member

Thanks John, I appreciate the clarification. I wonder if the BF system is still beneficial on guitars like normal fenders that aren't build up to the same standards. What do you think about that?

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2011
  14. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

I love the BF system. You really notice the positive difference it makes when playing chords with open string notes. I have a non BF Suhr and I still prefer the BF setups.

15. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

I'm not sure I understand your implied connection between intonation and tuning stability.

16. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

Dude.

17. Husky

Well... if the nut slots are incorrectly spaced which I have seen from larger manufacturers who don't CNC fret slot.....nothing will fix that. The main area where I think you hear more of an advantage is when the action and nut height is preferred to be on the higher side. However even with the artists I deal with who like higher action they prefer not to use it. Maybe it has to do with things just tuning up differently between the new instruments and their vintage gear. Maybe it is because of the way certain people play and their finger pressure. If you find that with the guitar intonated correctly (non feiten) and when you fret an F at the first fret it is sharp then you might benefit. This is not the case for me personally. Now having said all that when you hear Buzz play the guitar set up to his specs it is obviously dialed in to his style of playing and touch. Buzz sounds excellent and spot on in tune on his own system but that doesn't apply to everyone. Case in point when I did a lot of work for Mike Stern he sounded perfectly in tune using a 3 saddle bridge with no intonation. I tried to give him a completely intonated setup and he couldn't make it play in tune.

beNsteR and tonewave like this.
  18. senseofrelief

senseofrelief Senior Member

No offense, but I find it hard to believe that all those that sung the praises of the BF system are down on it this year...if so then this was just pixie dust mojo marketing to sell guitars...

Sounds a like a change in the licensing...BF getting greedy?

That said, having played a Suhr with the BF system, chords ring out, and by comparison to others...sure we can talk wood and pickups...but something was working, I could hear it.

I would offer the option especially for what a Suhr costs.

19. Husky

With all respect that is an incorrect assessment even though it would seem like a logical conclusion.
    Just responding to what my customers want, simple as that.
    There are no changes as to the licensing even though there has been confusion as to the ownership of the license. That has been going on for 5 years. As for an "option" from us we tried that, it created to much confusion in the shop. We also had very little requests for the option.

20. dbeeman

dbeeman Gold Supporting Member

So should I get my two Suhrs unfietered?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.