Suhr OD-100

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by countandduke, Jan 23, 2006.

1. countandduke

countandduke Member

I am SUPER close to buying one of these suckers after the reviews I have read but still need some prodding to push me over the edge....

I need an amp that can cover clean jazz to SRV to Shawn Lane fusion stuff. I don't need it to do the death or the nu-metal...

Is this the amp for me???

Thanks, I trust you guys...!!!!

Chris

2. highgeer

highgeer Member

Chris,
    As you have probably observed, there is a huge difference of opinion on this forum. Having said that, I think the OD-100 will cover your needs. Mine covers everything from jazz and country to blues and classic rock to hard rock and metal(SH/SE). It sounds great at any volume louder than a wisper; you must use the loop for low volume playing. It has a huge presence(huge, thick, and punchy, but not harsh) in a band setting(perceived volume is lower even though everyone can here you). I have played most of the amps that are touted on this forum and for my needs my OD-100 is at the top of the channel switcher heap.

Mike

3. Blue Finger

Blue Finger Member

I agree with Highgeer, completely.

4. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

I was pretty impressed with the ground it covered at the Tone Merchants showcase on Saturday. It did equally well with Al Estrada's VH tribute band and Greg Howe's fusion material.

5. SteveVHT

SteveVHT Member

It absolutely will do what you need and then some...
    I've recently discovered it real sensativity to preamp tubes also...
    I changed out the V1 and V4 tubes to Telefunkens, and it completely changed it's tone. Mine's a customized OD100SE w/ EL34's.
    There are soooooooo many sounds to be had.
    Steve

6. countandduke

countandduke Member

Okay cool, thanks guys. It's a lot of money and I have thought that maybe just a couple amps might be better. Like an older Twin and another dedicated Plexi sounding amp ala Eric Johnson but then you're talking the same amount of money for an OD-100 anyways. Plus the Live Henderson cd sounds crazy good!!!

Thanks again...

Chris

7. rkstarr

rkstarr Member

without the preamp...he cant..i could be wrong,.but unlikely..unless john (suhr)..has something up his sleeve

8. scottl

scottl Member

I had John Suhr personally tweaking the knobs for me last night at Tone Merchants. The cleans are to die for! The OD channel was fast and tight and required a good OD pedal in front to get into the legato tone land. Even then, no delay or verb and a very dead room really made the clean just seem that much more impressive than the OD. John told me that with a nice delay-reverb in the loop and a BB pedal in front, it is the horn tone of gods.... I believe him.

Scott Henderson and Mike Landau, as well as the other guys playing at Tone Merchants, were all goosing the front with OD pedals.

Scott

9. countandduke

countandduke Member

Well, my guess is that sucker should be here in the next 2 weeks or so. I am taking some retirement money out and as long as I put it BACK in before 2007 I am okay...........but I still may have to sell some stuff so keep an eye out....

I am hoping this can cover all the bases I need. I AM expecting to use some pedals in front of this sucker. Thanks for all the replys!!

Take care.......:dude :AOK

Chris

10. petrucci

petrucci Member

Can anyone tell me how "heavy" these amps get? Can they compare with other high-gain amps such as mesa, bogner, vht, ect?

They are amazing for clean and crunch as I have seen first hand but I have have heard diffrent accounts of their high-gain capacity - any help will be appreciated. Thanks

11. SteveVHT

SteveVHT Member

They can get there, but I'd suggest the SE mod with EL34's. It won't get into that Boogie Saturation without hitting a bit, but Boogies don't have the clarity of the OD channel. They can definitely hold their own vs those you mentioned...I own or have owned all that you listed...:D
    Steve

12. petrucci

petrucci Member

Thanks SteveVHT - if this amp can do modern radio heavy music like linkin park, deftones, tool, disturbed, korn, ect then I will be happy. If it can't I will be sad.

The cleans and vintage crunch I got to play with were crazy good - if the high gain is as good as the rest of this amp, I will be in heaven.

How does the OD-100's high-gain compare to your favorite high-gain amps? Are you a fan of the VHT Ultra-Lead? Is the OD-100 your favorite amp for high-gain?

All this helps a ton!

13. Steve Snider

Steve Snider Silver Supporting Member

The SE with 5881s and the whomp switch and feedback control will get you there. I have had the SE with 34s and Marshall tranny as well as stock 5881 and tranny. To me the amp has better sounds if it's an SE with 5881s. The Whomp mod will take to modern land ala the Uberschall type gain voicing. This sounds like the recipe for you.

14. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Silver Supporting Member

Hey Steve,

How much lowend does the "Whomp" switch add? Are we really talking Herbert/Uber lowend here or just a slight boost? Does it affect the tone when bypassed?

BTW I totally agree with you on the SE w/ 5881s. I recently tried an OD100 SE w/ EL34s and just didn't like it as much as my SH/SE w/ 5881s. The EL34s tend to mush out and sound too hairy with all the gain the SE has on tap. The 5881s keep your tone focused, tight, and articulate.

15. Steve Snider

The Womp switch is a three way toggle on back. Bypass position means that the circuit is not in the signal chain at all. Then you have some womp and more womp with the other two positions. My understanding is that it gets very , very close to the level of low end and tightness that the Herbert and Uber are capable of. Call Noel at Tone Merchants for more info. He likes it on all the time.He has one there I believe. Mine will be done soon.

16. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Silver Supporting Member

Thanks buddy. :AOK

17. black.shadow

black.shadow Member

Is the whomp the same as the depth knob? I have not heard about this till now.

18. Steve Snider

No. My understanding is The depth knob will add a lower frequency bass response and is not really necessary unless playing quiet and not with a band and you desire more low end. The whomp switch incorporates a level of added bass and lower mids and superscedes the depth knob. It also has a voicing change that will make the amp take on a more modern flavor.Perhaps Ed Yoon or JS can jump in to clarify the whomp.

19. black.shadow

black.shadow Member

wow. that particular reason is why i sold my OD100 SE. I didn't care for the amps voicing for metal tones and longed for my old Herberts and Ubers.