Suhr OD-100?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by drjenkins, Jul 12, 2005.

1. drjenkins

drjenkins Member

Is it worth all the hype associated with it to you guys? Owners please chime in.

I got to play one for a little bit at a local store and was really impressed with its sound. Pretty versatile as well. There is just a lack of information on the web it seems. Like what each mod does, affects, so on. How heavy can it get with the mods? And for an amp that costs as much as this one does, I would think they would try to overload you with info. The local dealer doesnt seem to be able to get any more info than I can. I searched the forums and got a little info, but not really a whole lot to be had.

So long story short...lemme know what you guys know about it. Ill have to sell two guitars and another amp to be able to afford it. So Im trying to make a really educated decision before I let loose of that much gear for an amplifier. Thanks!!

2. SQUAREHEAD

SQUAREHEAD Supporting Member

Ok...
    This is from the Suhr Forum, written by Ed Yoon (Suhr Marketing/Sales)
    He explains it very well,

I never had the chance to compare the SH Clean and the Std Clean side by side. The majority that went through TM had the SH mod, but there were some Std models that went through that were pre-ordered, so I never got a chance to really spend much time with the Std clean although I'm now very familiar with the CH2 on SH/Std or SE. Also, I spent about 90% of the time playing through CH2 anyway since I'm a high-gain freak.

As for the SH mod, it's for the clean channel only. It's a little darker and rounder than the Std clean when the bright switch is engaged. It also breaks up a little earlier than the Std clean when the boost is engaged and the gain is turned clockwise. As I said, I didn't get to play the Std clean much, but I remember it being a little brighter and crisper in the mids and the lows than the SH clean.

The SH mod is great for getting the fabled Dumble-type of sound when you engage boost, crank the gain, boost the mids (to around 3 o'clock) and roll back the treble and bass. Try this setting with a humbucker and you get great Robben Ford and Larry Carlton type of tones. Personally, I thought the SH mod had the best sound of its type I've ever tried, but you do need to crank the master somewhat to get the most out of it and it's pretty damn loud by then.

As for the SE mod, it's really the boosted mode of CH2 that gets the SE sound. But it seems by doing this mod, the unboosted mode gets affected and is not quite the same as the Std CH2 unboosted. The unboosted mode of SE has less gain and the voicing is also a little mellower than the unboosted mode of the Std. So as I mentioned before, if you need more grind from the unboosted mode of CH2, Std CH2 is the way to go. SE is something different altogether and is an intense over-the-top high-gain lead sound. The Std CH2 boosted mode has an awful lot of gain as well and should be more than enough for all but the hardcore extreme high-gain crowd - for whom there is the SE. Hope this clarifies.

So there are 4 available configurations of the OD-100:

1. Std CH1/Std CH2

2. SH CH1/Std CH2

3. Std CH1/SE CH2

4. SH CH1/SE CH2

From this thread:

http://www.online-discussion.com/Suhr/viewtopic.php?t=192&sid=81458a997fcc61eed3ed7911f9851291

3. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

Hey there, check out the "SEARCH " feature on this forum ... You'll probably find about 500 posts on that amp and lots of answers. Have fun

ERIC

4. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

I guess the question is, "How did *YOU* like it?" ....

This is one amp that has had TONS of discussion, if you do a search, you'll get probably every question answered. But there's no substitute for actually playing one, which you're lucky to have done.

So ...... what did you think?

5. Steve Snider

Steve Snider Silver Supporting Member

Read up on the various posts. For me nothing I have played is as good and that includes a few hundred amps . Great cleans and lead channel. I Have the SE and it kills. Great crunch by rolling off some volume on your guitar and then amazing singing lead tones by turning it up. Have played the various configs and dig them all but the SE is best for Me! Had mine for a year now and nothing has dethroned it even after the honeymoon ended. Great amp.

6. drjenkins

drjenkins Member

Thanks Squarehead...that helped quite a bit!!

I was impressed with it, like I said in my post. I was really wanting to get the run-down on the options and some real-world testimonial on the day to day use of each of the mods. Wading through some of the info gets sorta tiring so I was trying to get a quick answer to the questions I have. Its just alot of coin, and I think Im trying to talk myself into it. You know how that goes :D The local dealer has one coming in around Sept. some time and if I put down a deposit, I can spec it to my taste. So Im trying to make that decision right now.

7. drjenkins

drjenkins Member

Thanks Steve, the SE seems to be calling my name. I wish I could sit down with both the SE & STD Channel 2 and A/B them. Ive played the SH mod with a STD channel 2. Didnt get to max out the gain on the boost though. It was only in the store for a short time (go figure)!

8. drjenkins

drjenkins Member

Hi Ed,
    Since you had Engl amps at Tone Merchants. How does the SE mod compare to the 4th channel on a Savage 120, which is my current amp, gain wise.

Also, how much does the SE mod add to the overall cost of the amp? And does the boost knob come standard on the back of all the OD100's or is it an option.

Thanks!!
    Dave

9. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

1. OD-100 Standard – Standard CH1 and Standard CH2 – List and MAP Price: $2995.00
    2. OD-100 SH – Scott Henderson Mod CH1 and Standard CH2 – List and MAP Price: $2995.00
    3. OD-100 SE – Standard CH1 and SE Mod CH2 – List and MAP Price: $3210.00
    4. OD-100 SH/SE – Scott Henderson Mod CH1 and SE Mod CH2 – List and MAP Price: $3210.00
    5. OD-50 – Standard CH1 with SH bright switch and Std OD-50 CH2 – List and MAP Price: $2895.00

10. drjenkins

drjenkins Member

Thanks Mikey...kinda funny. I just found that list , then signed on here to find out you posted it too! Appreciate it!!

Just put up a guitar, amp, and a Fulldrive to help fund my purchase!!!
    GAS at its finest!!

Dave

11. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

I just bought a stock OD-100 myself. I've been going a bit nuts lately - Orange RV50, Two Rock Jade Proto, and the CAA OD-100. I'll probably only keep 2 of the 3. The Jade Proto rocks, I love it, the other two are en route....

12. drjenkins

drjenkins Member

Nice to see that Im not the only GAS sufferer around here!!!:D

13. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

I used to feel like one of the worst offenders, but there are far worse people than me out here.... :)

14. drjenkins

drjenkins Member

Amen to that!!

15. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

Yep. there is NO substitute for experiencing a piece of gear with your own hands and ears. My personal experience with the OD100 is interesting though. I read all the hype, heard some impressive clips and saw a few good deals go by and never batted an eye. Why? Because everything I would have thought went against this amp working for me. I'm not a super high gain player, I am a huge fan of the EL84 and EL34 tones, don't particularly care for 5881's and finally I've been kind of moving away from mega output amps and moving towards amp in the 30-40 watt or less range. It happened that while visiting Tone Merchants several months ago and playing numerous great amps that Ed Yoon told me to plug into the OD100. I did it only to be agree-able and fully expected to hate it. Long story short, not only did I not hate it I owned one within two weeks of that experience and haven't looked back since. I love the amp and best of all, unlike most high gain amplifiers, it doesn't have to be ridiculously loud to get the killer tones I'm looking for. And the clean channel alone is woth the price of admittion. So you just can never make a serious judgement until you yourself have put it through it's paces.

16. SteveVHT

SteveVHT Member

I will be happy to post some clips if I can get them down to present a somewhat accurate representation of what the amps sound like.
    I will have my slightly over modded OD 100 SE back this friday, and I also have a 50 watter coming, hopefully within the next week or two.
    I will be recording them both through CAA 4x12's loaded with Mesa Boogie C90 speakers...
    I absolutely loved the stock OD 100. And John assured me yesterday, that when I get it back, I will be blown away.

Plus the fact that I have Mikey G's Suhr Limited Edition coming, and another custom Suhr on order....I will be in Suhr heaven...
    And did I mention the fact that Suhr guitars has the absolute best customer service in the world....
    John, Ed and Steve kick serious ass...
    They deserve as much credit as their incredible products do....

By the way...all the guys at Suhr...
    Drinks are on me next year at NAMM...
    Steve

17. jdzialak

jdzialak Supporting Member

Steve,
    Why did you get it changed to SE if you loved stock?
    I ordered mine SH ch1/ Stock ch 2...

Fedex tracking shows it landed 85 miles up the I-90 today and it's scheduled for a Friday delivery. Maybe I'll get lucky and get it tomorrow:cool:

Joe

18. drjenkins

drjenkins Member

Please do, Id love to hear how dirty the SE mod gets. Can you do one with the gain pretty high on Ch2? I want to hear how that sounds

Thanks
    Dave

19. SteveVHT

SteveVHT Member

I spoke to John several times about it. I am by nature, a high gain lover.
    The stock has tons of gain and articulation, but from what I described, he said that I would love the SE mod. I wanted the gain a touch more saturated, and a few other things to voice it differently.
    I let John have free reign on it since I completely trust him, and he did a few little tweaks that I wanted. I just wanted the stock clean channel the same because it is the absolute best clean I've ever heard from any amp in my life.
    And I have a modded Plexi with added gain stages that can hang in the same territory as the stock channel to....well not as nice, but...:D
    Steve

20. SteveVHT

SteveVHT Member

Absolutely...
    Steve