Suhr or American Deluxe

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by MichaelX, Oct 11, 2008.

1. MichaelX

MichaelX Member

I got away from the whole strat thing for a long time but picked up a new american standard a while back. I don't know why something about it is addicting. With some new pups I think she would be rather gig worthy. Before that I was playing super strats and musicman axis guitars.

Having the standard made me really want a better quality strat. I've wanted a Suhr for a long time so I set my sights on an S1 but after reading a bunch of threads here there are a lot of members who prefer Fender for the classic look and feel.

In that price rage ($1300 - $1600) how does the Am deluxe stack up to the Suhr pro series S1?

How about an Am dx with Suhr pups?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2008
  2. Paul Conway

Paul Conway Member

Well, I have both, so perhaps I can comment.

I have a 1998 ash/rosewood American Deluxe. I took out the awful Vintage Noiseless pickups and replaced them with Suhr V60LP's, the same pickups in my Suhr Classic (alder/African rosewood).

Both guitars are acoustically bright. The Fender has a slight 'plasticky' edge to the sound (sorry, no better way to describe it) but is a touch fatter then the Suhr. Both guitars have good clarity, but the Suhr is more even, more mature sounding. It also sounds more forward in the sound-field...weird, but it's definitely more 'there' than the Fender.

In terms of feel and construction quality, the Suhr is twice the guitar the Fender is. But perhaps only one-and-a-half times sonically.

Have played a small number of Suhrs, but they all shared good string balance, separation, sustain and bite. Have played lots of Fender Am Dlx strats, and it is, as they say, 'a crapshoot.' Oh, and my Fender has a truss rod problem - the channel was cut too big and the rod rattled around horribly until glue was pumped in to the cavity.

3. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

I love a great Fender, and I think that you can still find lots of wonderful guitars from the big F, but this isn't even a close one IMO.

Suhr ALL the way!

4. MichaelX

MichaelX Member

Thanks guys.

I read that the Pro Series body is smaller than the Fender bodies. Is that true? Is there a huge difference.

Quality wise it sounds like the S1 is a lot more guitar for the money?

5. Paul Conway

Paul Conway Member

I think the Pro series is a Standard body - i.e. a downsized strat. The pics on the site show it quite well.

A good Fender can do the strat thing that you've always heard on the stereo, but they are so rare. A Suhr will sound a little more modern, perhaps a little more polite, but will play and sound much nicer than an average Fender. Easily.

6. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

By the way, when I talk about great guitars from Fender I'm talking about guitars with vintage vibe and specs. American vintage series, Hot rod series and Custom Shop guitars. Fender still excels in building a classic Fender.

Your question is comparing more modern guitars and I really think that in that area, Suhr really has built a better mousetrap.

7. Paul Conway

Paul Conway Member

Yes, best vintage sounding strat I've ever played was a friend's 62 Heavy Relic. But it was the price of the Suhr plus an AM Dlx.

8. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Gold Supporting Member

I've had both. The Suhr has a different thing going than a Fender. I really like the new American Standard strat. The Suhr will play better but with a good setup the Fender will play great give you what you expect to hear from a "Strat"
    Suhr is still more modern sounding (not that there is anything wrong with that). They are different animals to be sure and both can be great.

Just for the sake of arguement, I'd also look into K-Line, Rice and some other "local" (to TGP) builders for strat like guitars.

Good luck

RC

9. vendorist

vendorist Member

definitely suhr

Better build quality, better sound, better playability.

Worth every penny

10. JoeNewbie

JoeNewbie Member

Personally I find the headstock on the Pro Series Suhr to be hideous. I've played an S1 and it has nothing to do with a Fender Strat, other than the vague visual similarities.

You should play both and see what works best for you.

I'm a fan of classic Strats (e.g. American Vintage series) but not so much of the American Deluxe series.

11. XKnight

XKnight Member

I've owned both and I felt that Suhr was much better quality wise. It's definitely worth a few hundred more as long as you can get past not having "Fender" on the headstock.

12. MichaelX

MichaelX Member

Thanks guys!

Yeah, I like fender headstocks the best. I like the classic look. Especially the oversized headstocks on the 70's strats.

The Suhr headstocks are ok. They remind me of the old Kramer headstocks.

Sounds like quality wise the Suhr beats the deluxe.

I forgot to mention that I definitely want the HSS. That is why I was looking at the HSS Am DX and the Suhr Pro S1.

13. Michael T

Michael T Member

Suhr all the way.

Suhr and Tom Anderson both have headstocks that are kinda like the old beak style Kramer headstocks. I think they are really nice looking heads.

14. spazmonkey

spazmonkey Member

15. Brien

Brien Member

Fender still make very good guitars, but they don't compete with Suhr till you get to the Custom Shop stuff. A good EJ might get you close.

16. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

Suhr all the way, but you can always put bent saddles on the bridge for a more classic sound. I have given up on the big "F" a long time ago...

17. oscar100

oscar100 Member

suhr without a doubt:bow

18. crosse79

crosse79 Member

I guess it depends on the sound that you are looking for. I tried 2 Pro series guitars and weren't really impressed by them by much. A bit modern sounding - which is not a bad thing. Currently have an American Deluxe. The stock pickups are plasticky sounding without a doubt. You've got to change them.

19. picnic

picnic Supporting Member

Suhr is a better guitar, but the HB in my S1 was thin and useless. i sold the Suhr and kept the Am Dlx. I put V60LP's in my Am Dlx but they couldn't hold a candle to the Anderson Classic pups (SA's.)
    YMMV, depends what you are looking for.

20. Wesman61

Wesman61 Supporting Member

Why would You get a Deluxe then put new saddles and pickups in it? Why not just get an American STD (2008) and change the pickups and save some money? Heck, You might even like the stock pickups. The roller nut would be the only difference. I think I'd rather have a bone nut.