Suhr or Fender

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by drneely, Jul 22, 2008.

1. drneely

drneely Member

Im trying to decide how to spend 2500-3000 dollars and since im not lucky enough to live anywhere close to a high end guitar store im turning to my friends on the gear page. i really love a very warm strat that has that great throaty sound and im trying to make up my mind b/t a fender relic or ri or a suhr classic. i like the idea that from suhr your essentially getting a masterbuilt strat and i hear great things about their quality and sound. so i just wanted to see what you guys think.

2. morlll

morlll Member

Don't forget TA and all the others.

3. Flinto2002

Flinto2002 Senior Member

At that price you can have a CS Fender, Suhr, Tyler, Tom Anderson...just about anything except a D'Pergo or DeTemple.

If it was my money, I'd probably go with the Suhr or Tyler, 2nd choice would be Fender, 3rd would be the Anderson, which is a superb guitar, but not very vintage at all. The fact that you were looking at a relic strat has me thinking your tastes would be decidedly more vintage than a Tom Anderson would provide.

If you have to have relic, Suhr makes the Antique model. But if you need that peghead....and lots of guys do, then the only thing that gets you there is a Fender.

4. DWB1960

DWB1960 Senior Member

I'd suggest you call the guys at Wildwood and explain exactly what you are looking for in a Fender CS model. They will take the time to work with you and will explain in detail the different attributes of the models they have in stock. They have a very close relationship with Fender and by all accounts only get top shelf inventory from them. I just bought one of their special order 52 Tele's with a humbucker, 9.5" radius, and bigger frets and it's KILLER!

http://www.wildwoodguitars.com/electrics/fender/custom_strat/

5. Guitar Slinger6

Guitar Slinger6 Member

I have been looking at the Suhrs myself, I would suggest looking at a Wildwood 10" Fender Custom Shop Relic. I have one and it is great, I have the 65' with a mid C shape neck. They come with 5105s, 10" Radius, nitro on body and neck, quarter sawn neck, and some fantastic John Cruz exclusive pick ups. You can only get them at Wildwood, but they are great, love mine.

6. DWB1960

DWB1960 Senior Member

I should add that I've owned both a Suhr custom strat and a Fender CS 60s time machine NOS model.

The Suhr lasted maybe 4 months before getting sold. The Fender ain't going anywhere.

7. dumbell78

dumbell78 Member

Sydney by way of Muddy Water Land (Chicago)
    +1 Great advice!

8. drneely

drneely Member

yeah i am wanting something more vintage looking/sounding, but having fender on it isnt that important to me its all about the tone here. this is truely a tough one because every time i search i cant find anyone who doesnt love their fender relic or suhr classic, this is one where i would really love to be able to play and compare since both seem to be so popular with the people that buy them, the only thing i know for sure is i want a rosewood fretboard and other than that im at a loss, i love the sound of the fender fat 50's pu's and i would love a relic finish but at the same time the build quality and pickups on the suhr seem to be right up there or better

9. Guitar Slinger6

Guitar Slinger6 Member

If you don't mind the wait, Callaham is supposed to be the cats' meow of vintage type tone and feel.

10. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

That's a nice guitar budget. I've never spent anywhere near that on one guitar.

Have fun with it. Get out and play as many as you can. Ignore the headstock and go with the one that you can't put down.

You don't live near high-end shops. Go anyway. Find a way and get there. Take a weekend, do what you have to do. That's a lot of cash to blow without a test drive.

Good luck in your search.

11. drneely

drneely Member

the wildwood fender inventory was extensive and i saw a bunch that caught my eye, but as far as looks the suhr in classic vintage white on their webpage is just gorgeous

12. drneely

drneely Member

and that might be some good advice gkoelling im having a hard time justifyin this amount of dough without a test drive

13. Joe_Steeler

Joe_Steeler Member

Good Lord +1000, the other two are close second.

1. TA
    2. Suhr
    3. Fender

14. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Don't forget Don Grosh, pretty sweet guitars also.

15. Dave

Dave Member

:agree
    This is the best advice anyone can give you. I've owned several Fenders, Suhrs and Andersons. Some were amazing, others only ok. Definitely try before you buy if at all possible.

16. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

Amen. Getting what you want is easy...knowing what you want isn't. So you can't compare all these great guitars on paper or online, you have to hold them in your hands and find what speaks to you.

You poor thing, having to play all those great guitars and then take the best one home...sucks to be you!

or not.

17. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

In that budget range Vinetto & Grosh make top rate strats. If it needs to be a Fender, I'd start at Fat Sound, they have some really great looking one off Fenders and Wildwood has those 10's made for their shop that get raves. Fender's will carry a quick resale and highest trade value, so consider that if you flip guitars.

18. XKnight

XKnight Member

Between Fender and Suhr I would get a Suhr based upon my personal experiences. Like others have said, if at all possible go forth and play as many guitars as possible until you find the right one for you. I'm often guilty of not taking my own advice and have been disappointed because of it.

19. cr8z4life

cr8z4life Member

It sounds like the problem is your not going to get to try many because you dont live near a boutique dealer........so here is what I would recommend.....

My favorite strat is a Tyler......but you can go through quite a few to find the one that speaks to you.....this is the same situation as Fenders. The nice thing about suhrs is that it is the most consistent strat builder I have come across......they are all consistently top knotch. Once you decide on your pickups, neck, bridge etc you will get a guitar that is always just as good as the next........there is something to be said for consistency.....something some builders cant claim....

20. MartinC

MartinC Member

I can certainly say that a Suhr Classic has given me the most incredible vintage strat tone, with tweaks to the formula that make for outstanding playability. The stainless steel jumbo frets are just terrific. SSC system kills the hum. Neck finish is smooth and silky. Neck exactly the dimensions you want.